WAG the MLB regular season | The Boneyard

WAG the MLB regular season

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
It's Cesar Chavez day tomorrow (State holiday!) so baseball season must be upon us. That said, it's fun to make wild guesses about your favorite (or perhaps despised) team. My contribution is the number of wins, yes/no playoffs, the team's batting average and HR leaders, pitcher with most wins.

A Yankee fan since Joe Pepitone I'm familiar with these droughts but this year will be different? eh, probably not, *shrug*
Nonetheless, my WAG's:
Wins: 92
Playoffs: ... no.
Hitter: Gardner, .296
HR: Sanchez, 41
Wins: Tanaka, 18

The number of wins is generous, but I see them taking a bunch from the likes of Tampa and AL West. Problem is other teams will have the same advantages and the magic number will be 94. And if Brett Gardner leads your team in batting average, you are in trouble. Sanchez and Bird are going to be nice young players but Ellsbury the Albatross is going to weigh them down wherever he is in the line-up, and if he's in the line-up, he's in center, and that is less than ideal too.
On pitching, I like Tanaka-san alot, but he's not able to pitch enough to get to 20, so... well you know what that means. Can CC deliver a 12-10 season? Probably, and that's why I can't see playoffs in the future.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am very excited to see the Yanks again. Comcast and YES are back together!

Wins: 86
Playoffs: ... no.
Hitter: Gregorius, .288
HR: Bird, 35
Wins: Tanaka, 15

The young guys are coming and will bring excitement to Yankee fans. Gary Franchise, Judge, Jordan Montgomery, Ben Heller and did you know that the Bird is the Word?

The Yankees will take their lumps as the starting staff is weak but the offense should be quite decent. Love Holliday.

Hoping in September we see Montgomery and Kepreilian getting starts. Ben Heller in the bullpen. And Gleyber Torres at 3rd base.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why the hell do the Yankees always seem to get a bunch of (accurately named) bombers. Those two young dudes can mash. It's like guys put on pin stripes and start hitting home runs. I don't get it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was kinda hoping this would be a photo thread for actual MLB WAGs. So I'm disappointed OP means "wild ass guess"...

Zero chance a team with 92 wins misses playoffs in the AL.

Boston will have best record in AL as they're simply loaded all around. Toronto will look like a contender early on the backs of Happ, Liriano and Stroman, but Liriano will completely lose it by July when the rest of the league remembers not to swing at his crap because he can't throw strikes and all the other old guys will start breaking down.

Cleveland wins the ALC again. Everyone else in the ALC is terrible.

Both WCs will come from the ALW, with Texas, Seattle and Houston all within a game or two of 90 wins. However, all those solid kids in Houston reach their potential and the Astros win the AL pennant going away with a lot of help from Comeback Player of the Year Charlie Morton, who finally figures out to harness his electric stuff in his 10th year of MLB and is injury free for the first time, well, ever.

Houston wins the pennant.

NL is simpler.

A lot of prognosticators are saying Dodgers have a legit shot at the pennant. They'll finish third in their own division. Dodgers are old with a lot of broken down pitchers. Both Giants and Rockies finish better. Book it.

Cubs win the NLC. Duh. The most interesting team in the NL will by my Pirates, who could finish anywhere from 77 to 92 wins depending on if Cole and Cutch have bouncebacks, Kang gets a visa, Bell can actually field 1b and Glasnow actually is the top pitching prospect everyone thinks he is (typical million dollar arm, 10 cent head).

NLE goes to Washington again, but maybe for the last time as Marlins will bounce back from the Fernandez death and Phillies youth movement will start to play well. This will be most competitive division in NL, especially in 2nd half when early Mets success will have fans salivating, but as Florida and Philly (and even Atlanta) improve, those divisional games get tough in August and September.

Cubs take the pennant, but all the magic is with Houston, who wins the WS when all those innings on Cubs starters' arms the past two seasons catch up to them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Starling Marte must be the stupidest player in MLB.

Pirates' playoff chances just took a major hit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom