VOTE HuskyNation: UConn wbb in Unbreakable records Championship | The Boneyard

VOTE HuskyNation: UConn wbb in Unbreakable records Championship

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
749 complete games is harder to break. Most of today's pitchers are taken out before they can complete a game, even the really good ones. How do I vote?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
749 complete games is harder to break. Most of today's pitchers are taken out before they can complete a game, even the really good ones. How do I vote?
Are you on Twitter?

Reaction Score
749 complete games - that's an easy answer. Nobody in MLB has had as many as 10 complete games in a season since Randy Johnson in 1999. The league-leaders the last five years have had either two or three.
I agree - the complete game is barely existant anymore. A pitcher playing for 20 years would have to average more than 37 complete games per season. The last time a pitcher started 37games was 1991.

Reaction Score
I'd love to vote for the 111 victories but it simply isn't the case. 749 games will never be broken as long as MLB managers refuse to let their pitchers go more than 4-5 innings. It's a disgrace. It's one thing to pull your pitcher if he starts letting hitters get on base or experiences arm pain but these days pitchers get pulled after X number of throws even if they're pitching well. It is a wonder we ever get to see a no-hitter.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'd love to vote for the 111 victories but it simply isn't the case. 749 games will never be broken as long as MLB managers refuse to let their pitchers go more than 4-5 innings. It's a disgrace. It's one thing to pull your pitcher if he starts letting hitters get on base or experiences arm pain but these days pitchers get pulled after X number of throws even if they're pitching well. It is a wonder we ever get to see a no-hitter.
Just to add - if a pitcher has a 20 year career (pretty good) he would need to pitch 37 complete games each year. Talk about unlikely!!

I'm not convinced either record will be broken. But the Cy Young record is completely unbreakable unless we get robot pitchers.

Regarding the no-hitter, I just saw the last perfect game in the majors was 10 years ago today. There was a brief flurry of perfect games around that time, actually none from the 1920's till Don Larson in 56. Odd, to say the least. Total of 23.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the posters about the 749 complete games. However, I don't think that the 111-game win streak is necessarily UConn WBB's hardest-to-break record. Someone could match or beat it by playing a very weak schedule, which UConn itself didn't do while setting it.

But what about 11 NC's under the same coach, over 22 seasons? One university won exactly half of all the NC's to be had during that very extended period.

Or what about a zillion games without 2 consecutive losses, going back to 1993, as I recall?

Or what about 15 straight Final Fours?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think they cheated somehow - if I am honest I would put Cy Youngs two streaks in the finals Wins and Complete Games - no way either of those will every be beaten as the game has changed too much. They could count players complete history from PeeWee through old timers games and no modern player would come close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom