Who’s in the other semi?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The full list of 64. A LOT of baseball.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Woo hoo, made it to the championship round!

Reaction Score
As impressive as the 111 wins was, the 511 career pitching wins is unapproachable in today's MLB. A pitcher today has a great season if he gets to 20 wins. No way anyone today averages 20 wins a season for 25+ straight seasons.

As long as WBB players remain in school for four seasons, I could see the 111 being threatened if, for example, the "Next Bueckers," the "Next Stewart" and the "Next Boston" all happen to be in the same high school class and all decide to attend the same university.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As long as WBB players remain in school for four seasons, I could see the 111 being threatened if, for example, the "Next Bueckers," the "Next Stewart" and the "Next Boston" all happen to be in the same high school class and all decide to attend the same university.
You would also need the next Geno and CD to be coaching them.
Tara, Pat, and Kim all had those kind of recruits within a year of each other, and combined had only 2 career undefeated seasons to date. Great talent isn't enough, great coaching is required (and a dose of luck.)

Agree about all the baseball records from the dawn of the sport for pitchers, just as relief pitcher records are all modern era.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As impressive as the 111 wins was, the 511 career pitching wins is unapproachable in today's MLB. A pitcher today has a great season if he gets to 20 wins. No way anyone today averages 20 wins a season for 25+ straight seasons.

For what it’s worth, I see the 11 national championships as being more difficult to reproduce.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I see the 11 national championships as being more difficult to reproduce.
PROBABLY nobody else will get to 11 (and Geno may well add a few more before he retires), but Tennessee (love 'em or hate 'em) is sitting there with eight. If you forced me to bet on which is more likely, I'd say it's more likely that Tennessee gets to 11 than that anyone wins 111 in a row. But the odds against either occurrence are huge.

CL82

Reaction Score
PROBABLY nobody else will get to 11 (and Geno may well add a few more before he retires), but Tennessee (love 'em or hate 'em) is sitting there with eight. If you forced me to bet on which is more likely, I'd say it's more likely that Tennessee gets to 11 than that anyone wins 111 in a row. But the odds against either occurrence are huge.
Good point. I forgot about Tennessee. They used to be pretty good in women’s basketball once upon a time, right?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You would also need the next Geno and CD to be coaching them.
Tara, Pat, and Kim all had those kind of recruits within a year of each other, and combined had only 2 career undefeated seasons to date. Great talent isn't enough, great coaching is required (and a dose of luck.)

Agree about all the baseball records from the dawn of the sport for pitchers, just as relief pitcher records are all modern era.
Should have said: Pat had those kind of players in the late 90s and her longest winning streak was 46 games (across 3 years and 2 NCs), Kim had that kind of team in the 2010s and her longest streak was 42 (with a 40-0 NC). Tara hasn't had an undefeated season with all the
various talents she has had.

As Uconn has shown with some of their winning streaks, it isn't necessarily the power house team that ends a streak but the lack of concentration on your own team. (Stanford ended a 47 game winning streak, and then Uconn went on a 111 game streak - a game seemingly won.)

Reaction Score
EB0CA307-BE25-457B-AB37-20A938F9516D.png

Need to get in there and vote!

Reaction Score
CL, I disagree. If you had said 11 national championships in a 25-year span, I don't think that would ever be broken. But given an unlimited amount of time, say 100 years, it's not inconceivable that TN would pick up 3 or 4 more NCs, or some other team for that matter.

I think 111 straight wins, 14 (maybe 15?) consecutive final fours and 900+ games without back-to-back losses are pretty safe records.

Open question, if 2 records can never be broken, does it make sense to discuss which one will be harder to break? Would the 2 records be equally hard to break?

CL82

Reaction Score
CL, I disagree. If you had said 11 national championships in a 25-year span, I don't think that would ever be broken. But given an unlimited amount of time, say 100 years, it's not inconceivable that TN would pick up 3 or 4 more NCs, or some other team for that matter.

I think 111 straight wins, 14 (maybe 15?) consecutive final fours and 900+ games without back-to-back losses are pretty safe records.

Open question, if 2 records can never be broken, does it make sense to discuss which one will be harder to break? Would the 2 records be equally hard to break?
Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of that. So let me restate it: 11 national championships by single coach. If you want to raise the level of difficulty you can say at a single institution, but I don’t think it’s getting broken either way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree 100 % !!! IF Geno does not extend UConn's national championship total to 12 and beyond, it's conceivable that Tennessee could possibly catch/pass this record in the next 10-30 years. The one dynamic no one has mentioned here is that ALL of the current WCBB records were set BEFORE the advent of the transfer portal.

College basketball players are now transferring every year at an alarming rate. That means lots of player turn over. Five players ARE NOT going to win 111 games consecutively. They must have help from their reserves. That means roster consistency for a minimum of 3 years. Of course this also means two back to back undefeated seasons (national championships) along the way. THAT in itself is a monumental challenge.

In my very humble opinion, the 749 career complete games is the most safest athletic record on the books. In today's era of MLB, it's rare for a pitcher to go 9 innings. The philosophy about the game has changed dramatically in the last 25 years. Starting pitchers were EXPECTED to go 9 innings unless they were knocked out of the game. Today, if a pitcher goes 7 innings, he has done his job, and the bullpen takes over to get the last 6 outs. A pitcher would have to pitch 25 complete games every year for 30 years to break that record. Folks, it AIN'T gonna happen!!!

There are lots of other records that are also safe and regardless of argument or cases of extreme optimism, will NEVER be broken. Johnny Vander Meer's record of 2 back to back no-hitters in 1938 has stood for 83 years. It will stand for another 83 years. Stop and think for a moment how many GREAT Hall of Fame pitchers NEVER threw a no-hitter. And you want/expect somebody to break the record by throwing 3 in a row? :eek: What are you smoking?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree 100 % !!! IF Geno does not extend UConn's national championship total to 12 and beyond, it's conceivable that Tennessee could possibly catch/pass this record in the next 10-30 years. The one dynamic no one has mentioned here is that ALL of the current WCBB records were set BEFORE the advent of the transfer portal.
If you change this to a Geno record 'coaching 11 ncaa WCBB championships' then it is much more secure. His biggest active challengers are eight back from tying Geno:
Kim 3
Tara 3
Dawn 2

Reaction Score

Agreed! This is clearly a “homer” vote. There is no conceivable way that anyone will ever win 512 games in baseball unless the game is so modified as to be unrecognizable as baseball! In todays game, it is simply impossible for that record to be approached, much less broken! 111 is a magnificent accomplishment but nothing about it says “inconceivable”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom