Vote for Scott Burrell | The Boneyard

Vote for Scott Burrell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sportzedge.com is doing a 64 person bracket to determine the greatest athlete in Connecticut history. They are currently in the round of 32 and Scott is the 9 seed against the 1 seed Caitlyn Jenner. (I swear I'm not making this up) While I'm aware of Bruce Jenner's accomplishments, I wasn't aware that Caitlyn Jenner has any athletic accomplishments. (ESPYs for "courage" aside) Scott is out to an early lead. Here's the link, and there is no limit on how many times you can vote, so vote for Scott early and often:

http://sportzedge.com/2015/07/27/gr...y-tournament-caitlyn-jenner-vs-scott-burrell/

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sportzedge.com is doing a 64 person bracket to determine the greatest athlete in Connecticut history. They are currently in the round of 32 and Scott is the 9 seed against the 1 seed Caitlyn Jenner. (I swear I'm not making this up) While I'm aware of Bruce Jenner's accomplishments, I wasn't aware that Caitlyn Jenner has any athletic accomplishments. (ESPYs for "courage" aside) Scott is out to an early lead. Here's the link, and there is no limit on how many times you can vote, so vote for Scott early and often:

http://sportzedge.com/2015/07/27/gr...y-tournament-caitlyn-jenner-vs-scott-burrell/

I'll take the bait. The question is which person's athletic accomplishments were more impressive. I'd say both have great arguments, and I'm shocked that a guy who was a 1st round pick in both the MLB and NBA drafts is seeded 9th. Jenner really didn't spend a lot of time growing up in CT, so her inclusion on lists like this is a little bit of a stretch, IMO. But CT is a small state; we* will take anything we can get.

*I haven't lived in CT since 1995, but while you can take the boy outta CT...

Reaction Score
Jenner was just passing through CT for a while, but regardless, winning any decathlon is a supreme athletic accomplishment in track & field, but Scotty has my vote, a highly-skilled athlete in two major sports requiring different skills, could have had a great professional career in MLB rather than the NBA if he chose that route.

Reaction Score
Joan Joyce should not be taken lightly her accomplishments are mind boggling
Still considered by many the best softball player ever
Greatest pitcher of all time ,lifetime batting average over .300 ( in fast pitch that's amazing)
A great basketball player .played on ZuS AAU team
A great bowler
Even though she never played golf until she was 38
She earned a LPGA card
She still holds the record for fewest putts in either an LPGA or PGA round
17 putts in an 18 hole round. That's beyond mind boggling .
I saw her play BB Geno would be salvating
The kids she grew up with in Waterbury wanted her to pretend to be her brother
and pitch for their LL team. They swore they would have gone to Williamport

Reaction Score
Joan Joyce should not be taken lightly her accomplishments are mind boggling
Still considered by many the best softball player ever
Greatest pitcher of all time ,lifetime batting average over .300 ( in fast pitch that's amazing)
A great basketball player .played on ZuS AAU team
A great bowler
Even though she never played golf until she was 38
She earned a LPGA card
She still holds the record for fewest putts in either an LPGA or PGA round
17 putts in an 18 hole round. That's beyond mind boggling .
I saw her play BB Geno would be salvating
The kids she grew up with in Waterbury wanted her to pretend to be her brother
and pitch for their LL team. They swore they would have gone to Williamport

I worked at the Holiday Inn in Meriden in the late 70's when the Meriden Falcons were playing at Falcon Field. Most of them boarded up there for the summer got to know her a little, nice lady she was older than many of the players on the team. A couple of them were "wild" (couple great stories) and partied pretty hard as I do recall. Diana Nyad used to visit the team on occasion and also stayed at the hotel.

We had a Meriden Twilight league back then and shared a fundraiser with them in a 6 inning game. She threw a couple of innings and I was the 7th batter and did not get to face her (thank God) but she mowed down our first 6, 2 of whom were recent cuts in the minor leagues. It was something you really needed to get used to in order to have a chance, whole different look from the batters box for sure and she was able to move the ball almost anywhere she wanted. It was fun but wasn't easy getting beat by them! LOL

Reaction Score
Bobby V on that list? Quite an athlete overall and not sure there were a lot better than him in a 3 sport look - he and Scotty would be interesting for the state sports fans.

Ok I just saw the list so I have my answer. The list is not really of best "athletes" if its going to list Bill Romanowski and Nykesha Sales. It's more a who's who of people who succeeded in a sport in the state of CT or from the state of CT shall I say.

Best actual athletes would have Bobby V rated much higher than 13 and Scotty 9 for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom