Voluntary on-campus activities to resume in football, basketball starting June 1, sources say | The Boneyard

Voluntary on-campus activities to resume in football, basketball starting June 1, sources say

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Don’t talk like that. I need something to look forward to.
unless my sarcasm glasses are fogged up, i think that he was...wait, are you being...never mind.

methinks there will be a season after all!! bring it!

Reaction Score
unless my sarcasm glasses are fogged up, i think that he was...wait, are you being...never mind.

There will definitely be a season. The question is will fans be able to attend.

Reaction Score
There will definitely be a season. The question is will fans be able to attend.
and if fans can't attend, are some schools going to decide not to play?

Reaction Score

And I was also fooling around mocking all the people who tell me they won't be playing next season.

Reaction Score
I think this means the NCAA says players can come to campus June 1 but it would still depend if uconn allows it at that time, right?

Reaction Score
I think this means the NCAA says players can come to campus June 1 but it would still depend if uconn allows it at that time, right?
I think it depends on our governor

>>An NCAA vote Wednesday cleared the return of student-athletes to campus in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball on June 1 through June 30, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. This decision ends a moratorium on all athletic activities through May 31.

This doesn’t necessarily mean a rush back to campus for those three sports, as those decisions will be made in concert with state government, local government, conference and university officials.<<

Reaction Score
You can't have a season in football without the proper preseason fitness training followed by the team practice work. This is a good opportunity to use testing for covid as well as other measures to see if the people involved in a large group in close contact can stay virus free. If the sports teams can not then bringing back the entire student body would be a no go. The same applies for the men's and women's hoop teams coming back on June 1. It is a controlled setting and seems to be worth a try to see if the coming school year can be possible in any semi-normal fashion.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on our governor
The governor will lag the rest of the country just like everything else in Connecticut. Within a few weeks after colege after college after college annouces they will open, then Connecticut will fall in line.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I see no reason why our kids wouldn’t be on campus for the month of June. Sans maybe Javonte Brown Ferguson. We have a lot of new players to integrate. Only 1 player who started last year’s opener is even active right now. We have talent, but work to do.

Reaction Score
The governor will lag the rest of the country just like everything else in Connecticut. Within a few weeks after colege after college after college annouces they will open, then Connecticut will fall in line.
Hope you are wrong but sadly....:mad:

Reaction Score

>>“We are working with the assumption that we will be fully residential in the fall,” President Thomas Katsouleas said. “We are redesigning the campus, our facilities, our behavioral training [and] our curriculum in order to design the safest possible reentry environment to protect faculty, staff and students.”<<

>>Katsouleas said it is up to him to make the final decision about the fall semester, and there are conditions from the Governor’s Higher Education subcommittee that must be met in order to return to campus, including low prevalence, testing availability, contact tracing, state guidance, personal protective equipment availability, proximate surge capacity and liability protection.<<

Reaction Score
You can't have a season in football without the proper preseason fitness training followed by the team practice work. This is a good opportunity to use testing for covid as well as other measures to see if the people involved in a large group in close contact can stay virus free. If the sports teams can not then bringing back the entire student body would be a no go. The same applies for the men's and women's hoop teams coming back on June 1. It is a controlled setting and seems to be worth a try to see if the coming school year can be possible in any semi-normal fashion.

UConn already had a 1,000 kids on campus from March to May even after they sent everyone home. President Tom K said there were no outbreaks during this period.

So they've already shown for 1,000 kids it is doable. Just need to scale that up.

A particular relief is that nobody in the dorms has tested positive.

we still have about 1,000 students in the dorms

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got a debrief today that was a flowdown from the meeting with UConn's president through the school of engineering. The word is they are planning on about 70% of classes being online and 30% in person. The other number they threw out was that they expect to have between 3,000-7,000 students on campus. Ultimately there are a lot of courses that will likely get pushed off to the spring semester such as lab classes. They also commented that there are not enough large lecture halls to implement all of the social distancing measures for classes over about 30 students, so that's a major challenge.

Reaction Score
Lamont said he hopes “selected” youth sports, public libraries, K-12 summer school and all summer day camps can open between June 20 and early July.

He added that state officials are targeting reopening graduate school programs and college dormitories on a small scale in July and August. The state plans to open all undergraduate programs in the fall, in addition to boarding schools and K-12 schools, barring a coronavirus resurgence.

“We told the universities to expect opening up in September with residential housing, but as Dr. [Albert] Ko says, if there’s change in course, we’ll give you about 30 days’ notice and you got to be ready if there is a change there,” Lamont said.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think there will be a season, but it might be shorten and or limited with football and the basketball season. I hope I am wrong and that we have full seasons of all college athletics starting in the fall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom