Voepel: The Irish Have a Long Way to Go. | The Boneyard

Voepel: The Irish Have a Long Way to Go.

Reaction Score
Love the win. Have watched it 3 times already but don't discount ND as they get organized and in better physical shape. Huskies wanted it more but expect ND to be in playoff shape by year end. Nice thing in 2019 playoffs will be that with Williams and Walker playing as advertised, will be tough for ND to concentrate on any 2 Huskies without leaving 2-3 others open.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think ND is already in pretty good physical condition, aside from Mabrey. It's the mental part that makes champions. They're finding out, as I've said,. that repeating is the toughest thing to do in sports. They're going to have to go away from mostly iso-ball and play Hi/Lo, inside/out ball if they want to make the FF. Also if ND wants to repeat that bench of theirs will have to play a bigger part.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND’s physical condition is slow and slower. They have two dray horses up front(think Budweiser Beer wagon - love those horses, but they are sloooooow!), joined by three trotters on the perimeter(watching a trotters race is like watching paint dry).

Meanwhile, we are fielding a team of Secretariat, Seabiscuit, Man O’ War, Citation and Affirmed, with Alydar coming off the bench. I’m sure you noticed that all of the tripping and clipping from ND had to come from behind.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I thin ND is already in pretty good physical condition, aside from Mabrey. It's the mental part that makes champions. They're finding out, as I've said,. that repeating is the toughest thing to do in sports. They're going to have to go away from mostly iso-ball and play Hi/Lo, inside/out ball if they want to make the FF. Also if ND wants to repeat that bench of theirs will have to play a bigger part.

If ND is not playing the high/ low with Shepard and Turner now, its not going to happen. No high/ low, no inside out game. Arike, Young and Mabrey thrive on the iso-ball. Don't see any changes coming.

Reaction Score
ND's problem on Sunday, particularly in the second half was Arike, and to a lesser extent, Mabrey, looking for their shot without any thought to whatever offense set ND was in. Arike took so many poor shots. Yes, she could have made some of them but they were definitely not the best shot available to ND. If that doesn't change ND will have problems making a run in the tournament.

Reaction Score
What I really liked about the game was how calm the players and Geno (relatively-speaking.. of course) were.

Three times UConn got leads and ND came back,

No worries.

Geno did not call a time out, which would have energized the ND fans and players (and given the ND players a blow). I never saw a Uconn player or coach looking at the scoreboard.

UConn just played on, seemingly oblivious to the score. And got a final lead in the fourth quarter, that ND could not respond to, except by fouling.

Another very important result of this game, which has already been commented on, is that now ND, I think, will be a marked team as far a fouling is concerned.

Aside from what she did to Chrystal, the hip check by Arike on the drive by Christyn was really, really, really unacceptable. Watching replays, it seemed , to me, to be intentional. Arike bent her upper body and thrust her bottom out as Christyn went by her. It does not seem to be a normal reaction.

After graduation, Arike's has a good future in sports- as the dirty player in professional wrestling.

Every one of the 6 Huskies played with pace and confidence. There were perhaps less assists, because each of the five starters, when they got the ball, looked for an opening in the defense and unhesitatingly, went for it, got to the spot they wanted and took an unhurried, well-balanced, high-percentage shot.

It is great that Megan got to that point this year. She was the unheralded hero, not being mentioned in any of the press articles.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Re Arike's near term future, I would certainly expect her to be the first guard drafted next April. What other guard would you put in front of her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom