Voepel questions UNC/Banghart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Voepel questions UNC/Banghart

Reaction Score
Maybe UNC was afraid a press conference to introduce the new coach would end up with reporters asking nothing about the new coach and a ton of questions about Hatchell & what led to her resignation? I could absolutely see that happening. So they announce the hiring and that's it. It isn't like the new coach is a complete unknown anyway.

Reaction Score
Everything Michele said about UNC is valid. Everything she said about Banghart was mean, vicious and totally lacking in taste and fairness. The kind of venting you hear from a jilted lover. Unprofessional. Banghart, a national COY in 2017 deserves a public apology.

And if Michele is so upset at the crap at UNC, why doesn't she ask Charlotte Smith why she missed seeing it? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My biggest argument with both of you is that Voepel is paid ultimately to write opinion pieces. In her opinion UNC should have done otherwise -.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Her opinion may (or may not) be wrong - but faulting her for doing a piece she was probably asked to do is just silly to me.
Did you read my post? What you state here is right in line with what I was saying. I just assume she is using her platform to kill two birds with one stone. Write a "click piece" while also introjecting some of her own personal rants in a stretch to bolster the original subject. This is what writers get paid to do. She just did a really crappy job of it and that is why she is justifiably getting criticized. I personally have not paid that much attention to her articles to really have an opinion of her.

Reaction Score
After UNC threw Hatchell and WBB under the bus to the NCAA and after Hatchell resigned after an investigation, there is no press conference with the coach in person, no players, no mascot, no cheerleaders, no nothing (except a telephone call).

Why wouldn’t UNC — after all that happened — want to have a big event to counteract all of the negative publicity? NOT doing so is the illogical extension.

Instead of an event to highlight a new coach, the announcement is done to generate as little positive press as possible. Logically, that makes no sense. And it can be seen as an extension of UNC’s continued non-commitment, which is exactly what Mechelle Voepel questioned in the first place.

I certainly can see why they might want to keep this low key. They are trying to avoid a media circus where the emphasis is directed away from the planned event back to the scandals that led to this hiring. This is certainly not an unreasonable decision. The media is not known for staying within the limits of the propriety of an event. The very fact that Voepel brought up the hiring of this coach as controversial is an example of that. What makes anyone think this would not have been made an issue at the press conference.? Voepel's article pretty much validates those fears.

Now you personally might not have made the same decision and it is purely speculative as to which tact is correct. Still just because they chose to take the precautionary road does not imply that they are not going to support the basketball program. And neither is their choice of a coach, except in the minds of someone who wishes to rationalize a perspective.

it is relatively easy to create a rationale to support any sort of scenario. Now I could just as easily create a biased negative motivation for your post. To be clear I don't believe it so no one needs to take it seriously. It is just an exercise in rationalization.

Let's see! You are a strong Duke supporter. We all know that Duke people do not like NC and also visa versa. So is your suggestion for them to create a big media event really meant to benefit them or rather to exacerbate their present PR problems? Now that desire might not even be a conscious one, but rather come from the depths of Dukies subliminal ill wishes for NC. Rationalizations make justifications for our actions or beliefs rather easy. There is nothing that given enough rope that we could not find some rationalization for.

Reaction Score
I thought the article was surprisingly negative. I didn't think hiring Banghart seemed all that unusual. She's been very successful at her level. Knocking an Ivy League coach for not advancing in the tournament seems odd. Any mid-major hire is going to be largely new to elite recruiting.

Exactly what did MV expect out of that hire? Uprooting a coach from an elite program? Tennessee didn't. Has anyone lately?

Why would Charlotte Smith have been more acceptable and a bigger commitment to winning?

Not having a formal press conference introduction does seem a bit odd though I've never seen one with the bells and whistles that MV seems to think are common.

As a neutral party, seemed like it was an oddly strident take by MV. Not saying it was unfair or out of bounds, just surprising.

Reaction Score
Well it looks like ESPN has removed the article from the front page of their wcbb section. The link to the article here still works but it looks like an archived article.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
well if ESPN can move this to archival status, can we?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Well it looks like ESPN has removed the article from the front page of their wcbb section. The link to the article here still works but it looks like an archived article.

well if ESPN can move this to archival status, can we?

Attachments

• CE44584E-2CAB-46FC-8AB0-700DB8F636D8.png
    CE44584E-2CAB-46FC-8AB0-700DB8F636D8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member