Voepel: Lobo was there from the start | The Boneyard

Voepel: Lobo was there from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I think the greatest thing I'll take away from her career here is that Rebecca came to Connecticut and made us a national program from being a regional program," Huskies coach Geno Auriemma said.

LINK

Reaction Score
So true. Nice to see Gino gave credit where credit is due.
Never forget Rebecca Lobo. If it wasn't for her to come to Uconn, I wonder if we ever have this wonderful dynasty today.

Reaction Score
HONG: So true, indeed. And I've wondered the same thing. In fact, I've gone even further than wondering and I used to be explicit: "Lobo made the program. Geno could not have done it without her. "

However, these days I think about that issue differently.

To employ an analogy, Coach and Lobo were sort of like some essentials for a chemical reaction in "making" the program: energy and reactants. Lobo certainly could not have "made" the program, as I used to assert, alone. Need to have both.

The analogy breaks down a bit, because Coach most probably could have succeeded without Lobo (though it would have taken him longer than it did), because at some point he would have impressed and charmed another "Lobo" into our jerseys. The fact that they were able to be here together did, in the end, provide both the reactants and the energy needed to launch this marvelous program. Their quotes seem to convey their understanding of that. And we are among the beneficiaries.

Reaction Score
Winslots, I agree with your analogy a good coach will eventually gets his day in the spotlight no matter what. But, with Geno he's more than just a good coach I think the man has a work ethic that is second to none.

Reaction Score
Win: Not necessarily true. If Rebecca didn't come, somebody else would. Geno would keep going and would have succeeded no matter what. Look at all the great players that did not come to UConn and Geno would find a way and gets the next best one and still wins championships.

But Rebecca did and she deserves all the credits for moving the program to another level.

Reaction Score
Win: Not necessarily true. If Rebecca didn't come, somebody else would. Geno would keep going and would have succeeded no matter what. Look at all the great players that did not come to UConn and Geno would find a way and gets the next best one and still wins championships.

But Rebecca did and she deserves all the credits for moving the program to another level.

GOOD: check the start of my final paragraph just above the good note from HONG and I think you'll see that we are actually in agreement about both of your good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom