Voepel: Geno wants 3 point line moved back | The Boneyard

Voepel: Geno wants 3 point line moved back

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd be OK with it being moved back. The current distance is no problem for many in WBB. Lots of made shots from a couple feet behind the line. Saw a lot of that this season from Dana Evans.
No problem for Saylor or Caroline or that kid from Minnesota too.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly in favor of moving it back. NCAA women don't need to shoot closer than NCAA men, particularly since the WNBA and FIBA (international) play at the same distance as NCAA men. It certainly won't hurt Connecticut, especially seeing who have they have coming in next year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not convinced the women players (not named Paige, Caitlin, Azzi etc) can make that distance with enough accuracy to make it a threat to draw defenders further out. Rich get richer

Reaction Score
Add that a dunk is worth 4 points :) in reality the 3 point line for WBB should be the same as the mens...there are enough women who can shoot well from the longer distance.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Interesting idea, why not make a 4 point shot for anything past mid court. Could be an interesting scenario at the end of games. Just kidding, that wouldn't be real basketball, more like a game of Horse.

Reaction Score
Add that a dunk is worth 4 points :) in reality the 3 point line for WBB should be the same as the mens...there are enough women who can shoot well from the longer distance.
A dunk s/b 1 point

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark would be ok with moving it to the half court line.

Reaction Score
Not convinced the women players (not named Paige, Caitlin, Azzi etc) can make that distance with enough accuracy to make it a threat to draw defenders further out. Rich get richer
Good Grief!

Reaction Score
Get rid of the damned 3 point shot !
Get back to real basketball...
Ask the players who shoot hundreds of time in practice from 3 point range what constitutes real basketball. Move it to men’s distance and it might bring back mid range jumper. As for real basketball, what is so real about gigantic men dunking a ball at a height set 125 years ago for scrawny middle schoolers.

Reaction Score
If you have listened to Geno over the years many times he has opined that the 3 point lines should be the same. He has also stated that they should use the men's ball because it bounces truer off the rim. To him the women's ball bounces like a beach ball and is much harder to predict. And Dawn thought using the Nike ball would change things... :D

I forgot originally to add he also wants the lanes to be wider.

Reaction Score
Pretty predictable that proponents of a free-flowing game (Geno) are for both of those things while coaches of physical, grind it out basketball (Dawn) are not. Imo, widening the lane would be the most beneficial thing. The three point line makes a lot of sense as they would be playing under the same conditions as the professionals.

Reaction Score
Guaranteed this same exact story will appear next year on a FF dead day.

Voepel: “You got anything for me? Anything at all?

Geno: “I’m all tapped out on bashing the NCAA, and beating the drum for WNBA one-and-done. Can’t we just recycle that ‘move the 3-point line out’ thing.”

Voepel: “Great idea - that’s always any easy one! I have last year’s article on my hard drive but I need to change a couple names.”

Geno: “Chrystin’s over there - you can ask her if she agrees.”

Voepel: “ Great! And I have a call with Dawn in 15 minutes - she’ll disagree with you for sure. Done. Thanks Big G!”

Reaction Score
I don't see that it matters. In the Iowa game some of those players were close to being out of bounds when they hit some of those threes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom