Vital will always be remembered as a Fighting Husky | The Boneyard

Vital will always be remembered as a Fighting Husky

Reaction Score
"It ain't size of the Husky in the fight, its the size of the fight in the Husky"

Hurley said Cincy punked us last game. They were huge, ugly and quite frankly looked intimidating. When Vital pushed that kid as if ready to go to blows, his teammates lost all timidity and joined in the fight. I saw no fear, no backing down and the gloves came off.

Carlton 'illegally' throwing giants to the ground then laughing
Akok the thin man was banging with anyone who wanted to try him, even was rewarded with a bloody nose.
Bouk looked like he got a hip pointer but continued with a slight limp destroying his opponent
Whaley was on the ground taking Cincy players with him

But it was Vital who set the tone. He was grabbing boards against those giants. Cumberland looked twice his size but he didn't give a damn, locking him down when it counted. No challenge to big for him!

He only scored 8 19 points with 3 5 boards, but without him we lose. (Edit originally had wrong box score)

He frustrates the hell out of all of us, but trust me I see no replacement for him next season. That toughness does not come instantly or easily. I won't speculate on who looks to be our 'fighter in the pits' but Vital proves we will need one. I hope though that his teammates do emulate that part of his game.

Just saying we all may biatch about his game but trust me, we're gonna miss that Fighting Tenacious Husky next year, at least until one of his 'pups' grows up (and quick). One thing you can say about him, Vital ain't scared.

He may leave us without fame or even lasting memories but one thing is for sure, Vital is a 100% pure breed Husky! No other Husky on the rafters, NBA or player history is tougher than him. Equal perhaps, but none tougher. To me this game sealed his legacy (i.e. a Fighting Husky).

1581299678119.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with everything, but he scored 19 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, none bigger than his put back basket near the end, had 3 steals and a block. I've said it once tonight and I'll say it again. That's my dude. So many greats to come through this program, but none other quite like Vital. He's extra special. Bouknight is special, but I think Adams will follow Vital in a similar career path. He's always led by example. He's been an exemplary husky in every way. Wish we could have 4 more years of CV while Hurley turns this program back into the national juggernaut we've all grown to know, love and cheer for loudly and proudly. Thank you Christian. But were not done yet, you're not done yet. Rally the troops and lead them the best way you know how!

Reaction Score
Why are we trying to give testimony to a player's career WHEN HIS CAREER ISN'T DONE YET? We have another huge game Wednesday night. And then a bunch of more one game seasons after that,

Places in history? Talk to me when his career is over. Which hopefully isn't until late March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why are we trying to give testimony to a player's career WHEN HIS CAREER ISN'T DONE YET? We have another huge game Wednesday night. And then a bunch of more one game seasons after this.

Places in history? Talk to me when his career is over. Which hopefully isn't until late March.
They say this every year but....this year the tourney could really be insane. This may be the year some of the traditional KP stats don't quite hold up for team projections during March Madness.

Reaction Score
Absolutely respect CV to the fullest. He’s a gritty hard nose kid everybody should want on their team. We have to take him for who he is. He will turn the ball over on a few possessions just hope they’re not game deciding ones, but you also know he’s gonna leave it all on the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything, but he scored 19 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, none bigger than his put back basket near the end, had 3 steals and a block. I've said it once tonight and I'll say it again. That's my dude. So many greats to come through this program, but none other quite like Vital. He's extra special. Bouknight is special, but I think Adams will follow Vital in a similar career path. He's always led by example. He's been an exemplary husky in every way. Wish we could have 4 more years of CV while Hurley turns this program back into the national juggernaut we've all grown to know, love and cheer for loudly and proudly. Thank you Christian. But were not done yet, you're not done yet. Rally the troops and lead them the best way you know how!

That rebound and put back off Adams’ air ball was everything that you have to love about Vital. Pure hustle to get that ball after basically going clear across the court to get it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why are we trying to give testimony to a player's career WHEN HIS CAREER ISN'T DONE YET? We have another huge game Wednesday night. And then a bunch of more one game seasons after that,

This. Part of the reason why I want to play in the post season is so Vital (and AG, but Vital) can play in the post season. He's an incredibly frustrating kid sometimes but it rarely is due to lack of effort.

Reaction Score
This. Part of the reason why I want to play in the post season is so Vital (and AG, but Vital) can play in the post season. He's an incredibly frustrating kid sometimes but it rarely is due to lack of effort.
Vital is better suited as a role player, a great one at that. When he plays within himself and the team, the kid flat out balls. Its only when he is asked to be the alpha dog that he struggles. Overall, he has had a great career at UConn and I am sure exceeded most expectations from when he arrived. On the court and off, we are very lucky to have him the past few years.

Reaction Score
The look on CV’s face yesterday was intense. Reminded me of Parish or Oakley. Things were serious.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow - Kit - do you drink when on the chat or did you drink before you wrote this?
Who are you??????
BTW - nice write-up

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
In addition to maturing from his hot-headed, impulsive freshman and sophomore years, Vital has also greatly benefited under the coaching of Dan Hurley who has been able to harness (not stifle) the intensity and also challenge him to be a more cerebral and disciplined player. The fire and energy of Hurley is a great complement to that of Vital, but it also means they butt heads occasionally, but that's going to happen.

On a side note, it drove me slightly batty to hear the CBSS announcer pronounce CV's last name Vi-tall. :confused: I was surprised he didn't know how to pronounce it correctly.

Reaction Score
Every time someone posts something about him, there is a 'caveat'. Since no one ever plays a perfect game, I think he is the one the best Husky's ever, after he makes a mistake, forgets about it, and then contributes any way he can. The kid is incredible.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The bridge between the end of the first great era and the beginning of the second. A VITAL part of Uconn history.

Reaction Score
Posted in the other Vital thread, posting here as well:
I rewatched the overtime and that rebound/putback of the Adams 3-pt miss was one hell of a play. Vital was outside the three point line on the other side when the shot went up. Then just darted full speed to the hoop. With where the game was at that point, there’s a pretty good chance we don’t win without that play. A game-saver!

Reaction Score
Thought this quote from Hurley after the Cincinnati game was interesting.

“Angel or devil,” Hurley said, with a smirk. “Christian did ‘Vital’ us a couple of times in the second half. But the good far outweighed the bad.”

UConn nips Cincy in OT

Reaction Score
8 games left in the regular season; I'm positive he will play really well in 6, maybe 8. A GREAT all around Husky!!!!!!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom