OT: - Visiting Memphis | The Boneyard

OT: Visiting Memphis

Reaction Score
I'll be in Memphis in late December. Just for a day. Visiting friends in Nashville. One of my friends is a Mississippi State fan. Heading to Memphis for a day to watch Mississippi State play Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl.

Looking for restaurant suggestions. Ideally something not so touristy. Something off the top 5 list on Yelp or Zagat.

Reaction Score
I'll be in Memphis in late December. Just for a day. Visiting friends in Nashville. One of my friends is a Mississippi State fan. Heading to Memphis for a day to watch Mississippi State play Texas Tech in the Liberty Bowl.

Looking for restaurant suggestions. Ideally something not so touristy. Something off the top 5 list on Yelp or Zagat.
We were in Memphis for AAC tournament in 2014. Went to Gus’s for fried chicken. By far the best we ever had. Place is not fancy at all, but you will Love the chicken

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
Central Barbecue. Wet wings, dry ribs.

Or, the BBQ Shop.

Or Gus' Chicken.

Avoid Rendezvous. Overrated.
Tried Central BBQ on Summer last July - wasn’t very impressed. I prefer Corky’s BBQ on Poplar Ave. I usually eat there when I go to Memphis (~4 or 5 times a year) and have not been disappointed yet with their ribs. I order them dry and dip in the BBQ sauce. Make sure you’re good and hungry if you order the full slab of ribs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Something off the top 5 list on Yelp or Zagat.
That's almost like saying something off the top 5 of a poll of Guy Fieri groupies vs a poll of professional dining critics. Although to be fair, that might be close to identical in Memphis.

Face it, you're not going to Flight or Itta Bena, you're having BBQ somewhere, Gus's Chicken, or Soul Fish. Because it's Memphis.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We have a couple of Central BBQ spots here in Nashville. They aren’t even top 5 BBQ spot here. Memphis is the Mecca of TN style BBQ (dry rub ribs), surely you can do better out there.

If you need any food recommendations in Nashville (sounds like your friend might have you covered) let me know.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Arnold’s BBQ is some of the best ‘cue I have ever had. Great stuff.

Memphis actually has okay pizza but the opportunity cost isn’t there to try it considering you’re only there for a day.

Reaction Score
FedEx HQ was a customer so I called on them several years. My advice is to avoid downtown and search out a place on the outskirts where the food will be better and less expensive. FedEx people took to me to Midtown (Overton Square) neighborhood several times. I think you'll find what you're looking for there. A few of the places have live music 7 nights a week as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom