Virginia's point guard | The Boneyard

Virginia's point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This London Parrentes kid is the worst point guard I've seen all year. Haven't seen much of Virginia this year but I'm shocked Virginia was undefeated for much of the season. The point guard is horrendously bad, they have nothing close to NBA talent and they can't shoot worth a damn. Totally uninspired play, worst performance I've seen in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Superjohn I think that's unfair to say you haven't seen them much and call him the worst point guard.

Just saying I think that's impossible considering the year they had.

Did you lose money (i.e. bracket busted) today?

Reaction Score
I don't bet the games and didn't have a dog in this one but couldn't believe how bad Virginia looked.
Superjohn I think that's unfair to say you haven't seen them much and call him the worst point guard.

Just saying I think that's impossible considering the year they had.

Did you lose money (i.e. bracket busted) today?

Reaction Score
he's not very good. just scanning the uva roster, didn't realize bryant stiths son was a college player

Reaction Score
The name Parrenthes tells me he isn't a very good pg, thats more of a good shooters name.

Reaction Score
So, in the choice between "the PG for a 1 seed is horrible at basketball" and "the PG for a 1 seed had a bad day," you thought the former was more likely?

Reaction Score
So, in the choice between "the PG for a 1 seed is horrible at basketball" and "the PG for a 1 seed had a bad day," you thought the former was more likely?
Yeah interesting point. Being the 'worst ever seen' would mean TSam could start for UVA and they would have won today.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
This London Parrentes kid is the worst point guard I've seen all year. Haven't seen much of Virginia this year but I'm shocked Virginia was undefeated for much of the season. The point guard is horrendously bad, they have nothing close to NBA talent and they can't shoot worth a damn. Totally uninspired play, worst performance I've seen in the tournament.

Jesus you really are the king of ridiculous exaggeration.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I watched UVa several times this year and also same last year. I have a friend who lives in Charlottesville who has become a fan. I have never been that impressed with them on the offensive end. Their strategy is to work well into the shot clock but to take shots when available but they seem to not have the one guy who "wants" the shot when needed. Of course their arguably best player Justin Anderson had a fractured finger on his shooting hand followed by surgery for a ruptured appendix. I picked MSU to beat UVa last year and the same this year. Only last year I had UCONN beating MSU. Oh well

Reaction Score
He's a facilitator plain and simple. Kid is a great passer and very good IQ, but obviously scoring is not his game. Brogdon and Anderson (both 1st round draft picks this year/next year) were both off today, which pretty much killed our offense. Nolte and Anderson are our 3 pt shooters and they both were ice cold (anderson still coming back off injury/surgery). Bad foul calls on Adkins, and a shot to Gill's face kept both of them on the bench for extended periods, which eliminated our low post game, which is usually very good.

Perrantes was called on to do a lot more than he is capable of today, and just couldn't pull through. He's not kemba, or bazz, or boat (not even close), but that doesn't make him a terrible pg

Reaction Score
He was on the All-ACC freshman team and an honorable mention all-ACC this year (like Justice Winslow) so you can take superjohn's hysterical overreaction for what it is.

Reaction Score
He was on the All-ACC freshman team and an honorable mention all-ACC this year (like Justice Winslow) so you can take superjohn's hysterical overreaction for what it is.
Archidiacano was co Big East player of the year and I think he is pretty average. Ed Nelson was ACC freshman of the year, what's your f~Ckin point?

Reaction Score
Archidiacano was co Big East player of the year and I think he is pretty average. Ed Nelson was ACC freshman of the year, what's your f~Ckin point?
That there are probably much worse point guards in college basketball than one that was named to an All-League team.

But in all honestly, in this case you took one bad game and made it the basis of something that was wrong. Especially when the team they played is as good defensively as MSU.

A Gonzaga fan who saw Khalid El-Amin only in the E8 would have made the same point.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:

Try harder. You said yourself you hadn't watched them play and now you're telling people what kind of player this kid is. Obviously the people who, you know, actually watched him all season might have a better perspective than someone who saw him for the first time today. Get it?

Reaction Score
That there are probably much worse point guards in college basketball than one that was named to an All-League team.

But in all honestly, in this case you took one bad game and made it the basis of something that was wrong. Especially when the team they played is as good defensively as MSU.

A Gonzaga fan who saw Khalid El-Amin only in the E8 would have made the same point.
I have barely seen them play this year. I saw the whole game today, another full game and parts of a couple others and I noticed he was bad each time, today he was ridiculously bad. I'm not saying he's the worst point guard in the country, I'm saying he's the worst I've seen.

Reaction Score
I liked him more as a freshman, he didn't make nearly the jump this year that I expected and really didn't show any improvement.

Reaction Score
I have barely seen them play this year. I saw the whole game today, another full game and parts of a couple others and I noticed he was bad each time, today he was ridiculously bad. I'm not saying he's the worst point guard in the country, I'm saying he's the worst I've seen.

Assuming you are actually watching games on a regular basis that would make him the worst out of... over a hundred? More? Don't back down now.

Reaction Score
He's much better than the PGs on almost every AAC team.

I get your point. He was pretty bad today. But you're just getting called on hyperbole drawn from a single game, coming from a self-admitted place of ignorance.

Reaction Score
Not sure why John is taking so much heat here...I did not realize the folks on this board were such avid supporters of London Perrntes. The kid averaged 6.5 PPG on 36% shooting this year - I don't care what his assist to turnover ratio is, this is 2015 and it's tough to win big games with a point guard who isn't a threat to score. That doesn't mean he is awful, but John's comment is a fair one - the #5 team in the countries PG looked like a deer in the headlights on a pretty big stage. If he exaggerated, so be it, UVA needs him to get better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure why John is taking so much heat here...I did not realize the folks on this board were such avid supporters of London Perrntes. The kid averaged 6.5 PPG on 36% shooting this year - I don't care what his assist to turnover ratio is, this is 2015 and it's tough to win big games with a point guard who isn't a threat to score. That doesn't mean he is awful, but John's comment is a fair one - the #5 team in the countries PG looked like a deer in the headlights on a pretty big stage. If he exaggerated, so be it, UVA needs him to get better.

A point guard is a distributor - his job is to run the offense and put the entire squad in position to score. Doesn't matter whether or not the ball touches his hands last before it goes into the bucket.

I feel like there's a lot of inherent bias in judgement of over teams' PGs based on our own history Just because Kemba, Bazz, and Boat were scoring PGs doesn't mean that they've redefined what being a collegiate point guard is.

Reaction Score
hes better than you though sooo yeah

Reaction Score
A point guard is a distributor - his job is to run the offense and put the entire squad in position to score. Doesn't matter whether or not the ball touches his hands last before it goes into the bucket.

I feel like there's a lot of inherent bias in judgement of over teams' PGs based on our own history Just because Kemba, Bazz, and Boat were scoring PGs doesn't mean that they've redefined what being a collegiate point guard is.

I disagree. I don't see the sense in pigeon-holing point guards into one box - the point guard, just like any other position on the floor, should enhance the overall efficiency of the offense. Whether that be through scoring, passing, spotting up in the corner...doesn't matter. Boatright wasn't particularly great at "making guys better" but he was still a phenomenal point guard because he was a fantastic scorer and decent enough passer.

But, generally speaking, in todays game, point guards need to be able to score. I can't think of a single national champion in the last decade that started a point guard who wasn't averaging double figures. Reason being, it's such a pick-and-roll dominated game and the point guard is the most natural fit to initiate that sort of offense.

I'm not saying it is impossible to win big with a guy who is purely a distributor...but you need a lot around him, and when the offense flat-lines, it's easy to look at the guy who the other team doesn't really have to guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom