Virginia Tech AD: Potential interest in hearing what SEC has to say | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech AD: Potential interest in hearing what SEC has to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB

Kyle Bailey @TheClubhouseKB "I'd like to defer my comment for right now, but there may potentially be some interest." - Jim Weaver on "Tech Talk Live" @STH_Hokie Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Kyle Bailey @TheClubhouseKB "I really haven't thought about it because the discussion has just come about three or four days ago..." (cont.)

Somewhere Marinatto is having a very satisfyingly large plate of pasta.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't trust Virginia Tech one bit. If we're added to the ACC, I think they'll bolt the next day. Herbst and Manuel have a tough interesting decision to make.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No they don't. Whatever will be left in the ACC will be 1000x better than what is left in the NNBE

True. As soon as I hit post reply, I knew I worded that poorly. It's not a difficult decision but certainly an interesting one. Leave the Big East to join a conference that could lose half of its members in the upcoming 1-2 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No they don't. Whatever will be left in the ACC will be 1000x better than what is left in the NNBE

Yeah, staying put does not benefit us. At least if the ACC implodes when we're in it, we can band together with our old Big East mates and some other non-Catholic schools to form a conference better than the New Big East. We'd be on the outside looking-in in terms of big-time revenue, but at least the other sports in the conference would be palatable.

If Louisville were to somehow out-maneuver us here, we and Cincy are literally the only two decent sports programs left. Then it's the Catholics and mid-majors.

When your ship is sinking, you don't pass up a lifeboat because you're hoping one with plusher seats may become available.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's all about the Benjamins. The smart move is probably to join the ACC, but that depends on the ESPN contract. If 5-7 schools leave the ACC, the remaining Big East and ACC schools should be smart about things. It might be the best move to form a new league.

Reaction Score

1/2 BE , 1/2 ACC. The Big Coast Conference.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There may be interest on Va Tech's part, but I'd be really surprised if the SEC went after them. They'd be about a 5th choice. No media market to speak of (they only get a piece of the DC market). The SEC would quite likely look to FSU, Oklahoma, Okie St., maybe Clemson, NC State all before VTech.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There may be interest on Va Tech's part, but I'd be really surprised if the SEC went after them. They'd be about a 5th choice. No media market to speak of (they only get a piece of the DC market). The SEC would quite likely look to FSU, Oklahoma, Okie St., maybe Clemson, NC State all before VTech.

Nope. FSU and Clemson are NEVER going to the SEC. Oklahoma and Okie State were already rejected. If it adds any teams, the SEC will want new states.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB

Kyle Bailey @TheClubhouseKB "I'd like to defer my comment for right now, but there may potentially be some interest." - Jim Weaver on "Tech Talk Live" @STH_Hokie Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Kyle Bailey @TheClubhouseKB "I really haven't thought about it because the discussion has just come about three or four days ago..." (cont.)

Somewhere Marinatto is having a very satisfyingly large plate of pasta.

...and is blissfully unaware of anything else.

Reaction Score
I think they already expressed interest (hypothetically) in UNC and UVA. State flagship universities. UM (Maryland) may have also been on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom