Vinyl Thread | The Boneyard

Vinyl Thread

Reaction Score
With the resurgence of vinyl I was surprised that there was no collective thread for All Things Vinyl.

I was into vinyl as a kid in the '70s and '80s, but was an early adopter of CDs back in the mid-80s. I all but abandoned vinyl by senior year in high school, 1987.

Back in 2014, I dug out my albums, my beat up Kenwood turntable, an old home theater receiver and some unused speakers and started listening again. I bought a record collection from a friend's uncle a few months later and have been at it ever since. A few years ago the Kenwood died beyond repair and I picked up a reconditioned 1979 Revox B95 turntable (pic below) which is an amazing sounding turntable, even with my Frankenstein setup.

I shop for vinyl anywhere I can including tag sales, flea markets and several record shops throughout CT and MA. Favorites are Mystic Disc, Redscroll Records in Wallingford, Revolution Records in Torrington The Telegraph in New London and Rob's Records in Great Barrington, MA. If I'm looking for some harder to find stuff, the user-based app Discogs has been a great source.

I would love to be able to keep this thread running with people posting their recent vinyl or gear purchases, info on new releases, places they shop or anything else vinyl related.

Revox1.jpg

Reaction Score
I rarely come over to these sub-forums but stumbled onto this thread when browsing some of the music threads.

Back in the 70s-80s I was a member of the Columbia Record Club and accumulated a large number of LPs.
When I lived in Burlington, VT I was a regular customer at Pure Pop Records where I could find LPs from the Canadian rock bands I was into at that time.
I still have every album I purchased, plus I 'inherited' a bunch of old (think Tex Ritter old) country LPs from my Mom.
Over time I pretty much duplicated most of my albums with CDs, then ripped them to iTunes. Plus I have the cassettes I got for portability before I got my first iPod.

I've been to Revolution Records in Torrington, as well as a few second hand shops in that area, but I pretty much own everything that interested me. So far I have avoided any of the online music platforms, we'll see how much longer I can hold out on those.

Lately I have been able to purchase vinyl from my latest obsession - The Warning. They are a rock band of 3 sisters from Mexico and they have produced (so far) 3 LPs that I was lucky enough to purchase in signed, limited release form.
These 3 vinyls are double gatefold with lyric sheets and artwork - very cool throwback type vinyl offerings and I'm very fortunate to have purchased them. Timing is everything....

They are releasing another LP on June 28th and one of the options is a picture disc LP that I have pre-ordered.

I don't own audiophile gear, my ears are shot from 45+ years of diesel engines, heavy equipment, and metal shop work.
I have decent speakers (Polk, Bose 601s, and SVS center), an older Pioneer amp, Technics turntable with a quality stylus, and a good Klipsch sub, but top-level gear would be wasted on my hearing aids.

Space to store the LPs is an issue, but I don't see myself giving any of them up anytime soon.

Albums.JPG

Reaction Score
I rarely come over to these sub-forums but stumbled onto this thread when browsing some of the music threads.

Back in the 70s-80s I was a member of the Columbia Record Club and accumulated a large number of LPs.
When I lived in Burlington, VT I was a regular customer at Pure Pop Records where I could find LPs from the Canadian rock bands I was into at that time.
I still have every album I purchased, plus I 'inherited' a bunch of old (think Tex Ritter old) country LPs from my Mom.
Over time I pretty much duplicated most of my albums with CDs, then ripped them to iTunes. Plus I have the cassettes I got for portability before I got my first iPod.

I've been to Revolution Records in Torrington, as well as a few second hand shops in that area, but I pretty much own everything that interested me. So far I have avoided any of the online music platforms, we'll see how much longer I can hold out on those.

Lately I have been able to purchase vinyl from my latest obsession - The Warning. They are a rock band of 3 sisters from Mexico and they have produced (so far) 3 LPs that I was lucky enough to purchase in signed, limited release form.
These 3 vinyls are double gatefold with lyric sheets and artwork - very cool throwback type vinyl offerings and I'm very fortunate to have purchased them. Timing is everything....

They are releasing another LP on June 28th and one of the options is a picture disc LP that I have pre-ordered.

I don't own audiophile gear, my ears are shot from 45+ years of diesel engines, heavy equipment, and metal shop work.
I have decent speakers (Polk, Bose 601s, and SVS center), an older Pioneer amp, Technics turntable with a quality stylus, and a good Klipsch sub, but top-level gear would be wasted on my hearing aids.

Space to store the LPs is an issue, but I don't see myself giving any of them up anytime soon.

View attachment 99107
Very cool! Never heard of the band, but will check them out on Spotify. One of my new favorite pastimes, checking out a band on a streaming platform to see if I want to buy the vinyl.

I built up my CD collection in the '80s, '90s and '00s using Columbia House and BMG. There was a document on the fledgling internet on how to maximize your membership by getting in and out quickly and which expensive albums to get as freebies and which cheap ones to buy. Now I seem to be buying all those CDs (and cassettes) in vinyl format, but I am still finding a lot of stuff that I never owned in any format. I try to keep my purchases to albums I will listen to and enjoy all the way through. Listening to vinyl is an event for me. I sit down grab a drink and veg out for 45 minutes, no distractions. I've gotten into old school country recently and have been adding Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and John Prine to the mix.

I've been on a tear in the last month and added Dire Straits - Making Movies, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gold & Platinum, Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, The Doors - Waiting for the Sun, Springsteen's The River, Linda Ronstadt's Greatest hits Vol 2., Coverdale-Page (self titled), AC/DC - Back in Black, Dr. Dre - The Chronic., John Prine's self-titled first album, Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral and Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever.

Reaction Score
I don't subscribe to any streaming platforms, but I do watch a lot of music on YouTube.
I'm really sold on The Warning and will make just one suggestion.
IF you are able to push YouTube through your system, I think you would really enjoy listening/watching The Warning's 2022 concert from Teatro Metropolitan. It is pro-shot with pro-recorded audio. Just an awesome performance overall.
The full concert is there in HD and is one of the best ways to experience them - live performances are highly recommended and I don't think that any of The Warning's live stuff is on any of the music platforms (yet). Hopefully they will release a live album/CD/DVD at some point...... I'll stop with the fanboi stuff now......

I have some of the LPs you listed, honestly I think I may have lost track of exactly what I have due to having them stored for so long.
CDs and the iPod are convenient for skipping around to individual songs but there is a lot to like about just listening to an album side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom