Villanova quick access | The Boneyard

Villanova quick access

Reaction Score
Villanova only running 6 deep. 5 players have like 90% of their minutes including OT. Team has no depth, could be exploitable for us this year.

Reaction Score
Tried to stay awake for it. Was half awake as both teams were trading 3s early 2nd half. Was a good game to watch while I was able to. See they lost in OT, both teams are pretty good. I mean everyone in the Nova lineup tries to back their defender down even moreso than ever before, it’s the offensive plan.

Reaction Score
Villanova only running 6 deep. 5 players have like 90% of their minutes including OT. Team has no depth, could be exploitable for us this year.
Injury is a factor for them down the road?

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Both teams looked very good - but, at least based on who they played, shallow. Crazy low number of fouls called in the game. Either would be a tough opponent and we'd probably need to get them in foul trouble or tire them out to win unless our scoring and 3pt shooting has drastically improved this year (fingers crossed).

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay of it - both teams are very good top 5 teams. Nova had the lead down the stretch and just couldn't hold it. Went to OT and UCLA stifled them. Great atmosphere at Pauley Pavilion.

Nova is gonna give us fits this season.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay of it - both teams are very good top 5 teams. Nova had the lead down the stretch and just couldn't hold it. Went to OT and UCLA stifled them. Great atmosphere at Pauley Pavilion.
Nova played basically 6 guys and got tired by the end. It was 2am their local body rhythm time. Missed their last 6 3's and a couple bunny layups down the stretch after they were up 10 with 9 minutes left. (They made 1 random 3 made at the buzzer but I don't count that). Didn't score from 8 minutes to 3 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Both teams looked very good - but, at least based on who they played, shallow. Crazy low number of fouls called in the game. Either would be a tough opponent and we'd probably need to get them in foul trouble or tire them out to win unless our scoring and 3pt shooting has drastically improved this year (fingers crossed).

Yes refs let them play for sure. And if you have a trio of stripes like that when you’re playing Nova that’s not a good thing. #1 they’re bench is thin as pointed out. #2 and to most important is they have this aura around them they’re the best defensive team ever coached. I mean they’re good don’t get me wrong but I think the stripes tend to buy in too often and they get away with lots of chest bumps, knees and hand checking to stop advantages by the offensive players. Heck Moore definitely fouled the kid that banked it in for UCLA to throw it into OT, no question.

Anyway having said that they’re going to be a handful for us and everyone as pointed out above. Slater got bigger and better as well.

Reaction Score
Nova doesn’t drive to score, they drive to kick out so our frontcourt defense and rim protection won’t be as much of an advantage. They started slow but had stretches where they just couldn’t miss.

Reaction Score
Nova needs Antoine back (former 5 star with athleticism), and one of their freshmen (Patterson, Njoku, Longino) to emerge as a key contributor.

Otherwise, the grind of a long Big East schedule might wear too much on a guy like Gillespie.

This team is built for an elite 8 type of game. Wouldn't bet against them in that setting with these veteran winners. Question is: can they get thru a long season?

-----

Reaction Score
Nova needs Antoine back (former 5 star with athleticism), and one of their freshmen (Patterson, Njoku, Longino) to emerge as a key contributor.

Otherwise, the grind of a long Big East schedule might wear too much on a guy like Gillespie.

This team is built for an elite 8 type of game. Wouldn't bet against them in that setting with these veteran winners. Question is: can they get thru a long season?

-----
Yeah I'm pretty shocked Patterson isn't even really in the rotation. He was with the team for part of last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom