Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
You should have been around when UConn won 5 games without DC
SJ was in foul trouble all those games so he wasn’t around much. The small ball lineup won us a couple of those games

Reaction Score
What a hangover you must have today? Lol I mean was he great, no but he was solid and made a huge difference. He can’t stand in the lane unless they’re playing a zone so your thought that people were flying by him is off. His foul on the 3 point shooter in the 2nd half wasn’t very smart at all. But his foul end of the first half was Dan Hurleys fault. The fact he was on the floor coming out of that minute time out was sacrilege. He was tired as hell and asked out two trips prior to the time out. He certainly didn’t get back ready to go in a short time out. He proceeded to get pushed underneath the basket by Dixon (who gets away with murder) then couldn’t react as needed. The fact he was out there was a terrible move.

But if you watch the game closely at least 9-10 times Nova players took their guys down to within a few feet of the basket but saw DC close by or on the weakside and threw passes back out not willing to take on the big man. He makes a huge difference to our defensive effort.

And if he doesn’t play 24 minutes we also get killed on the boards. SJ wasn’t awful but he has little impact on the backboards not good.
To your point, SJ had TWO rebounds. Every other player that played meaningful minutes had at least 2 rebounds. You would think that at 6’10” he’d get 4 or 5 rebounds by accident.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but… there are exactly two teams in D1 that shoot 80% as a team. Villanova 81.8% and Stetson 81.1%. Maybe we can round up and include Wake Forest at 79.9%

Recent champions -
UConn 76.1%
Kansas 71.7%
Baylor 70.8%
Virginia 74.4%
Villanova 77.9%
It’s hard to believe that Baylor team was the worst FT shooting team of this group. They were one of the best 3pt shooting teams I’ve ever seen. What a weird dynamic

Reaction Score
To your point, SJ had TWO rebounds. Every other player that played meaningful minutes had at least 2 rebounds. You would think that at 6’10” he’d get 4 or 5 rebounds by accident.
He gives us something but not what we hoped for obviously. The whole talk of wall potential was absurd, but yes he’s still vital and we need him…..to be better.

Reaction Score
I thought the refs did a very good job
I am mr. complainer on refs in many of our games and I have zero complaints with last night. That is as good as it gets on the road in the Big East.

They made some brave but correct calls late in the game that benefited UConn.

And to those who don’t like the style of play, it is what it is. It’s why our league goes on to win so many championships.

What I take away from this game:
1) We won a game that was a perfect trap game to lose our #1 ranking. An under ranked Villanova team, on the road, who has knocked off a top 5 team already..
2) We are nowhere near playing our best basketball!!!!!! We haven’t peaked and frankly, we’re just getting warmed up!

Reaction Score
He gives us something but not what we hoped for obviously. The whole talk of wall potential was absurd, but yes he’s still vital and we need him…..to be better.
Spot on. Keep watching Samson and wondering what he is going to be when he grows up. Obviously the staff is sitting with him and watching video, pointing out +/-'s, and discussing his role. Curious as to what they "want him to do/be. Just haven't seen that light bulb moment yet.

How many guys have there been that made their living by boxing out and playing tough D? Not sure that Samson see's himself doing that, but that is my hope.

Reaction Score
Another Boneyard special. Players cannot improve over the course of their careers. What they are today, is what they will always be, this year, next year, forever.

Exhibit A: Diarra.

For SJ to go from what he is now to a true starting-caliber player for us is going to be a huge lift. I want that to happen, but we would be pretty foolish not to recruit a starting big in the portal.

Reaction Score
Spot on. Keep watching Samson and wondering what he is going to be when he grows up. Obviously the staff is sitting with him and watching video, pointing out +/-'s, and discussing his role. Curious as to what they "want him to do/be. Just haven't seen that light bulb moment yet.

How many guys have there been that made their living by boxing out and playing tough D? Not sure that Samson see's himself doing that, but that is my hope.
It’s not a question of desire or how he sees his role, he’s just lacking the strength to do that against BE centers. It’s just not how he’s built.

Reaction Score
For SJ to go from what he is now to a true starting-caliber player for us is going to be a huge lift. I want that to happen, but we would be pretty foolish not to recruit a starting big in the portal.
Would like to know what he did to be the starting 4 last year before he got hurt. What was it that staff saw? Maybe more what they hadn't seen yet from Karaban yet, than what Samson showed.

So, if we had recruited a 5 that merited 15min a game and could spell a healthy Clingan better than SJ, what would Samsons role and minutes be??

Reaction Score

Add since and including the Gonzaga game he has had 23 rebounds in 9 games, with some very good minutes logged. I like the guy he’s improved and is a large piece. But we do need him to rebound better and we also need a portal guy next year if DC leaves.

Reaction Score
Cam's shot was off and he got burned badly a few times on defense but man for a guy who physically has trouble staying in front of people he makes a lot of big tough plays on defense. Whenever people in the chat start ragging on his defense he comes up with a big steal, he draws the offensive foul or he makes a play he has no business making helping out on a big man. He's such a good and tough player.
I understand why this post got 40+ likes. @superjohn is a great poster and we all love Cam for his toughness, creativity, leadership, shooting ability and pure emotion. But his defense remains a liability. Of the players who get meaningful minutes on this team, he is the worst defender, and it’s not even close. Nova exploited the heck out of him and they have Kyle Neptune as a coach. I’m not sure if there’s a solution, but this is a concern whether we want to admit it or not.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Are you joking? The most recent example of the BYS is in the post. But the number of times last summer where Diarra was dismissed as a good defensive player with no offense was endless.
Oh nvm person must have me on ignore. I thought this was a general post. His loss :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It’s not a question of desire or how he sees his role, he’s just lacking the strength to do that against BE centers. It’s just not how he’s built.
I dont think it's strength. There are plenty of skinny bigs at every level of basketball that score defend and rebound effectively. His issue is not physical.

Reaction Score
This is what Clingan does. Opponents from the dotted line down are abysmal from the floor when he’s out there. Way below the national average. And that doesn’t take into account the “nope, nope, nope” back it back out plays where no shots are taken.

We are not all that great at stopping dribble penetration. Newton, Spencer and Karaban can all be attacked. Castle and Diarra are good, but not necessarily lockdown guys either. Clingan covers a lot of that up.
IMG_1400.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Add since and including the Gonzaga game he has had 23 rebounds in 9 games, with some very good minutes logged. I like the guy he’s improved and is a large piece. But we do need him to rebound better and we also need a portal guy next year if DC leaves.
Best case scenario would’ve been for SJ to develop similarly to Jaren Jackson Jr. Who as we saw during the World Cup isn’t much of a center who can control the paint either.

Unfortunately he hasn’t developed his perimeter skills that were talked about his freshman year at all to the point he doesn’t even attempt a shot outside of 5’.

Reaction Score
I dont think it's strength. There are plenty of skinny bigs at every level of basketball that score defend and rebound effectively. His issue is not physical.
Strength is definitely an issue. He gets bullied down low way too often both on post-ups and rebounding. That combined with being average at best height for center is going to make it tough. Hopefully another offseason will allow him to get stronger, I’m just not sure we can assume that will happen.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Perhaps Johnson just doesn't have enough BB experience to be good at rebounding? I am curious how we'll look next year but that's a problem for April.

Reaction Score
centers are built differently. Shaq was 325, Olajuwan was 250.

Reaction Score
I understand why this post got 40+ likes. @superjohn is a great poster and we all love Cam for his toughness, creativity, leadership, shooting ability and pure emotion. But his defense remains a liability. Of the players who get meaningful minutes on this team, he is the worst defender, and it’s not even close. Nova exploited the heck out of him and they have Kyle Neptune as a coach. I’m not sure if there’s a solution, but this is a concern whether we want to admit it or not.

What you're going to see Hurley do--and I can practically guarantee this--is play Clingan and Cam together as much as possible. Clingan cleans up a lot of Cam's mistakes. I would imagine Cam's defensive rating with Clingan in the game is significantly better.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to believe that Baylor team was the worst FT shooting team of this group. They were one of the best 3pt shooting teams I’ve ever seen. What a weird dynamic
Nothing was more automatic than a Davion Mitchell crossover into a pull-up midrange. That was a fun team

Reaction Score
We beat a tough team on the road. They'll be playing in March Madness and will make things interesting at MSG during BE Tournament. Played well enough at crunch time for the W.

Don't get the criticism on Clingan for his second game back. Thought the team did a really good job of containing Dixon and not letting him have a huge game.

Got a week to get in reps and fix some stuff before X game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Strength is definitely an issue. He gets bullied down low way too often both on post-ups and rebounding. That combined with being average at best height for center is going to make it tough. Hopefully another offseason will allow him to get stronger, I’m just not sure we can assume that will happen.
He’s not strong but he also doesn’t play very physical. He never looks for contact out there when rebounding. He kind of just lets guys get a body into him and does nothing about it.

If I was Hurley I’d make SJ focus on nothing but physically boxing guys all the way out for a few practices. Like don’t let Clingan get a rebound or he runs. Make it a life or death situation to get it through his head how physical he has to be when boxing out. He’s way too soft with that right now.

I’ve actually seen something like that done before and the kid was a much better rebounder for it.

Reaction Score
75% . Need 80%+ in this league
I don't know why people post stuff like this. Do you know how many teams average at least 80% from the free throw line for the season so far? 2. Out of 362 teams. Villanova and Wake Forest. That's it. And neither are ranked.

UConn's average takes a hit from Clingan and Johnson. Everyone else that will be playing big minutes is pretty good. Karaban and Spencer at 88%. Newton at 79.3% (I'd bet that will go over 80% by season's end). Castle is at 71.7%. Diarra has been great at 81.5%.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but… there are exactly two teams in D1 that shoot 80% as a team. Villanova 81.8% and Stetson 81.1%. Maybe we can round up and include Wake Forest at 79.9%

Recent champions -
UConn 76.1%
Kansas 71.7%
Baylor 70.8%
Virginia 74.4%
Villanova 77.9%
I should have read your post before I posted. Lol. The stats were updated this morning and Stetson went under 80% and WF went over 80%. So still only 2 teams over 80%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom