Villanova is the Blueprint | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Villanova is the Blueprint

Reaction Score
It's still a ways away. A lot can happen between now and then. All we need is the team to be mildly competitive. As UCONN brings so much else to the fore.

Also depends on number of desired teams per conference (playoffs etc). Depends what influence TV networks have on the process. And I'm guessing politicians get heavily involved the next round. Stakes are too high.

So many moving parts, you just can't predict. But the money to the P5 is going to so outrageously pace those schools left out, that it's worth trying to build the football program. The other conferences are going to suffer.

And if you subscribe to the idea that the P5 will eventually leave the NCAA, then it's well worth taking a shot at getting amongst it.
We were competitive in football and winning basketball championships left and right and they told us to take a hike, surely they'll want us if we somehow miraculously become mildly competitive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're legitimately one of - if not THE worst program in Division-1 football right now. That's where we're at - almost 20 years into this - and that's where the program was. Had a nice rise, couldn't sustain it
Of course you can make exactly the same argument for basketball, right? Are you advocating we fire Hurley and shut down that as well?
That's IF you can get talent, IF you can overcome being branded not only a loser
Again, that argument applies to basketball as well. Of course Hurley appears to have turned it on it's head.
Randy Edsall got like $28k last week in incentives for losing to UMass and not throwing the ball once
Haha, have a link for that?

Edsall's base is $1M which phenomenally low. Randy's comp is probably not the best place to try and attack football.
hey have a gorgeous new practice facility that hasn't paid dividends, a new stadium
Sure it has. That "new" facility contributed to two Big East Conference Championships and Fiesta Bowl berth. Regardless, it is a sunk cost and frankly that works against your premise to downgrade or disband football right? We've already made the major capital outlay. Not to utilize assets which are in the prime of their useful life is horrific fiscal planning.
Even the flipping tailgating scene sucks.
You could not be more wrong.
That's football's only shot. The basketball coach.
I guess I was mistaken... you are even "more wrong" with this hot take.

Reaction Score
Of course you can make exactly the same argument for basketball, right? Are you advocating we fire Hurley and shut down that as well?
Again, that argument applies to basketball as well. Of course Hurley appears to have turned it on it's head.

Edsall's base is $1M which phenomenally low. Randy's comp is probably not the best place to try and attack football.
Sure it has. That "new" facility contributed to two Big East Conference Championships and Fiesta Bowl berth. Regardless, it is a sunk cost and frankly that works against your premise to downgrade or disband football right? We've already made the major capital outlay. Not to utilize assets which are in the prime of their useful life is horrific fiscal planning.

Point #1 - UConn hoops is not the worst basketball team in division-1, But UConn football is the worst football team in division-1. One has a lengthy history and tradition, the other one is an experiment.

Point #2 - Yes, Edsall has $28k in performance incentives that he's earned this year. Here you go for your link.

Point #3 - So wait, we won two Conference titles and showed up for a Fiesta Bowl and you're OK with it being a sunk cost? I thought we were in this for the money!

Point #4 - In order for something to be an 'asset' it has to have value.

Reaction Score
You ain't too bright. Just saying.

No - i've just spent 15 years of my life in and around college athletics.

It sucks, I don't like it any more than you do.... but no - they don't need UConn to grab the TV market - or enough of it to move the needle. This is why the ACC and B1G are trying to put their things in MSG. Notice they haven't invited us along for the ride.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is what happens when a program has competent leadership who knows what it means to “strike while the iron is hot”, to capitalize on success so that it snowballs and doesn’t deflate.

UConn never learned that, under anyone. Some of our worst seasons were following titles, and that is with the nba draft in consideration.

Wanna know why UConn is partly in this mess called the AAC right now? Refer to the above two paragraphs. I’ll check back in a couple hours to see what the usual idiots have to say about how the truth hurts them.

CL82

Reaction Score
Point #1 - UConn hoops is not the worst basketball team in division-1, But UConn football is the worst football team in division-1. One has a lengthy history and tradition, the other one is an experiment.
Uh, actually UConn football has been around since 1896. That's a pretty long experiment, no? It has had 17 conference championships.
arrow_red.jpg
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS (17)

1949 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1952 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1956 Yankee Conference Champions
1957 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1958 Yankee Conference Champions
1959 Yankee Conference Champions
1960 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1968 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1970 Yankee Conference Champions
1971 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1973 Yankee Conference Champions
1982 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1983 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1986 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1989 Yankee Conference Tri-Champions
2007 Big East Conference Co-Champions
2010 Big East Conference Co-Champions
DIVISION CHAMPIONS (1)
1998 Atlantic 10 New England Division Champions

MBB hasn't made the NCAA tournament in the last two years. Your argument against football can be made against basketball as well. It is equally bad in either case.
Point #2 - Yes, Edsall has $28k in performance incentives that he's earned this year. Here you go for your link.
The link shows that he received $4,000 in bonuses during the UMass game, not $28,000. Regardless, paying a head football coach $1M is phenomenally low. Probably not the hill you want to die on.
Point #3 - So wait, we won two Conference titles and a Fiesta Bowl and you're OK with it being a sunk cost? I thought we were in this for the money!
Sorry, I tried as hard as I could but I couldn't make sense of your post. Kind of seems like you are floundering.
Point #4 - In order for something to be an 'asset' it has to have value.
So you don't think the Rent, Shenkman or Burton have value? Yep definitely floundering. It's okay, your argument was flawed to begin with. You weren't going to be able save it any event.

Reaction Score
Uh, actually UConn football has been around since 1896. That's a pretty long experiment, no? It has had 17 conference championships.
arrow_red.jpg
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS (17)

1949 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1952 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1956 Yankee Conference Champions
1957 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1958 Yankee Conference Champions
1959 Yankee Conference Champions
1960 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1968 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1970 Yankee Conference Champions
1971 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1973 Yankee Conference Champions
1982 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1983 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1986 Yankee Conference Co-Champions
1989 Yankee Conference Tri-Champions
2007 Big East Conference Co-Champions
2010 Big East Conference Co-Champions
DIVISION CHAMPIONS (1)
1998 Atlantic 10 New England Division Champions

MBB hasn't made the NCAA tournament in the last two years. Your argument against football can be made against basketball. It is equally bad in either case.
The link shows that he received $4,000 in bonuses during the UMass game, not $28,000. Regardless, paying a head football coach $1M is phenomenally low. Probably not the hill you want to die on.
Sorry, I tried as hard as I could but I couldn't make sense of your post. Kind of seems like you are floundering.
So you don't think the Rent, Shenkman or Burton have value? Yep definitely floundering. It's okay, your argument was flawed to begin with. You weren't going to be able save it any event.

1.) You're a fan. Great. Not as many people get as jazzed about Yankee Conference history... well, no one does. I'd be willing to bet 75%+ of posters on this board even know about that let alone care about it.

2.) Read the end of the tweet, Corky. I know you can. He's received $28,000 in performance incentives this season for being 1-7.

3.) It's not $1 million. It's that, but also the $9.5 million buy out for Diaco, $750K buy out for Pasqualoni... That's a ton of money to pay to move backwards, you don't think?

Reaction Score
It's still a ways away. A lot can happen between now and then. All we need is the team to be mildly competitive. As UCONN brings so much else to the fore.

Also depends on number of desired teams per conference (playoffs etc). Depends what influence TV networks have on the process. And I'm guessing politicians get heavily involved the next round. Stakes are too high.

So many moving parts, you just can't predict. But the money to the P5 is going to so outrageously pace those schools left out, that it's worth trying to build the football program. The other conferences are going to suffer.

And if you subscribe to the idea that the P5 will eventually leave the NCAA, then it's well worth taking a shot at getting amongst it.
We were passed on when we actually had a decent football program. Now the landscape is vastly different and top tier football has passed us by. No football conference wants us and we don't provide anything they don't already have. So lets just keep throwing money we don't have/make at a dead football program?

Reaction Score
We were passed on partly because of grudges, politics and a lack of vision. Bad decisions came back to bite us. We need to make this work - and, yes, I'm biased as a football fan - having a decent football team again would be great for our UConn brand.

CL82

Reaction Score
1.) You're a fan. Great. Not as many people get as jazzed about Yankee Conference history... well, no one does. I'd be willing to bet 75%+ of posters on this board even know about that let alone care about it.
Lol, backing off the whole "experiement, no history" thing I see. Maybe be better educated on a topic before you go off making nonsense statements?

2.) Read the end of the tweet, Corky. I know you can. He's received $28,000 in performance incentives this season for being 1-7.
That's not what you said. What you said was that Edsall made $28,000 losing to UMass. That's not true. It's okay to admit that you are wrong. Again, by any measure, paying a FBS football coach $1M is extraordinarily inexpensive.

3.) It's not $1 million. It's that, but also the $9.5 million buy out for Diaco, $750K buy out for Pasqualoni... That's a ton of money to pay to move backwards, you don't think?
Yeah, that's not what we are are paying Edsall, right? Again those are sunk costs that we incur regardless of whether we field a football team. Do you understand the difference?

One final piece of advice:
1541008347543.png

Reaction Score
No - i've just spent 15 years of my life in and around college athletics.

It sucks, I don't like it any more than you do.... but no - they don't need UConn to grab the TV market - or enough of it to move the needle. This is why the ACC and B1G are trying to put their things in MSG. Notice they haven't invited us along for the ride.
I went to UConn while we were FCS. And?

Notice we've been on the radars of both conferences, only one publicly.

Reaction Score
Lol, backing off the whole "experiement, no history" thing I see. Maybe be better educated on a topic before you go off making nonsense statements?

That's not what you said. What you said was that Edsall made $28,000 losing to UMass. That's not true. It's okay to admit that you are wrong. Again, by any measure, paying a FBS football coach $1M is extraordinarily inexpensive.

Yeah, that's not what we are are paying Edsall, right? Again those are sunk costs that we incur regardless of whether we field a football team. Do you understand the difference?

One final piece of advice:
View attachment 35814

1.) Not backing off it at all. This school has no meaningful football history to anyone that matters in big time college football. Maybe to some alums and homers who can't let it go - but no one cares about the Yankee Conference or ever did, for that matter. They definitely don't care about the program these days. Hey - AIC made the DII Final Four in 1969 w/ Jim Calhoun on the team, so I guess the Big East should be knocking on the door any day now.

2.) Are you Okay with a coach getting performance incentives for putting together a 1-7 team that just lost to UMass and puts game plans together and play calls according to the weather? He got $4,000 for the UMass game. He's received $28,000 in performance bonuses this season. He's made nearly a full time normal human's salary for being indescribably bad at his job. If you're okay with that, then you deserve what you have. You're entitled to want to believe in the dream. You're just going to be really, really, really disappointed.

3.) Who cares what Edsall is getting paid? You could put the coach from Xavarian on the field and pay him $50k a year to get a win over Maine and then get blown out by everyone else. For what he's giving you - he's not worth $1 million even. Which should tell you about the viability of the program as a whole if that's the best we can do.

4.) /Meme

Reaction Score
I went to UConn while we were FCS. And?

Notice we've been on the radars of both conferences, only one publicly.

On the radar? Hahaa really? On the radar?

The ACC isn't interested at all right now. The B1G isn't either.

Both are trying to run events in New York City because they can. The ACC already has. And they're going to continue doing so and spray their stuff all over ESPN and expanding their brand recognition in that market without adding UConn or anyone for that matter. Meanwhile, our hoops team is playing on ESPN the Ocho because our AD is trying to salvage the steaming remains of a football program no one cares about and building a $45 million, 500 seat hockey arena we don't have money for.

That's reality.

I swear you're like the nerdy girl who's been sitting on the curb of the road waiting for the prom king to come pick her up but hasn't realized he was joking yet.

Football doesn't have 4-5 years. It's dead. It's best shot is Danny Hurley coaches UConn basketball real good and takes enough eyes off them so they can quasi-justify their existence for MAYBE another round of realignment. That's literally the only hope. Football isn't fixing football.

CL82

Reaction Score
1.) Not backing off it at all. This school has no meaningful football history to anyone that matters in big time college football.
Again, not what you said. You said UConn football was an experiment without history. That was flat out wrong. You have an issue with admitting when you are wrong, not just on the board but generally. Am I right?

2.) Are you Okay with a coach getting performance incentives for putting together a 1-7 team
Did you read the link? There was no incentive for putting together a 1-7 team. You understand that right?

He's made nearly a full time normal human's salary for being indescribably bad at his job.
Yeah not at all sure what you are trying to say? Are you upset by the amount of money paid to college's coaches generally? Sorry the market is what it is. Here's the thing though. Coaching salaries in all money sports are only going one direction, up. P5 programs are going to drive that. If a school isn't a P5 program, it will be left behind. P5 is the term to describe the 5 biggest BCS football conferences. If we don't have a BCS program we will be squeezed out. But given your handle, maybe that's what you are rooting for? No more traffic, am I right?

3.) Who cares what Edsall is getting paid?
Lol, well it's pretty apparent that you do right?

Reaction Score
UConn is the blueprint for UConn.
^^^^ This. We created the blueprint for ourselves and the architect is still around. We just need to follow it and we'll be good.

Reaction Score
Again, not what you said. You said UConn football was an experiment without history. That was flat out wrong. You have an issue with admitting when you are wrong, not just on the board but generally. Am I right?

Did you read the link? There was no incentive for putting together a 1-7 team. You understand that right?

Yeah not at all sure what you are trying to say? Are you upset by the amount of money paid to college's coaches generally? Sorry the market is what it is. Here's the thing though. Coaching salaries in all money sports are only going one direction, up. P5 programs are going to drive that. If a school isn't a P5 program, it will be left behind. P5 is the term to describe the 5 biggest BCS football conferences. If we don't have a BCS program we will be squeezed out. But given your handle, maybe that's what you are rooting for? No more traffic, am I right?

Lol, well it's pretty apparent that you do right?

This is circular at this point.

1.) It has no history. If people don't care about it your history, it's pretty well meaningless as a thing to be used for marketing purposes and to sell the program.

Do you honestly think an 18 year old kid gives two craps that UConn we co-champs in the Yankee Conference in DII 18,000 years ago? Honestly.

Do you think the tipping point for Texas in deciding whether to let us into the Big XII is our history of beating Maine?

Do you really think anyone not on the football team at the time or just completely past drunk on all things UConn care?

They don't. So they don't have a history that's useful. Yes, they existed, congrats to them, they're still breathing.

2.) I'm going to spell it out because this is really, really hard for you, I get it.

-Randy Edsall has done a bad job.
-Performance incentives are for doing a good job.
-The team is doing really poorly, worse, in-fact - than nearly every single team in Division-1 football right now
-Why are you ok with a coach getting $28,000 in performance incentives for this? You clearly want P5 treatment but don't carry P5 standards.

3.) Hope floats, I guess. You're just going to be disappointed.

The only P5 conference on the table at all anymore is the Big East. Maybe.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is circular at this point.

1.) It has no history. If people don't care about it your history, it's pretty well meaningless as a thing to be used for marketing purposes and to sell the program.

Do you honestly think an 18 year old kid gives two craps that UConn we co-champs in the Yankee Conference in DII 18,000 years ago? Honestly.

Do you think the tipping point for Texas in deciding whether to let us into the Big XII is our history of beating Maine?

Do you really think anyone not on the football team at the time or just completely past drunk on all things UConn care?

They don't. So they don't have a history that's useful. Yes, they existed, congrats to them, they're still breathing.

2.) I'm going to spell it out because this is really, really hard for you, I get it.

-Randy Edsall has done a bad job.
-Performance incentives are for doing a good job.
-The team is doing really poorly, worse, in-fact - than nearly every single team in Division-1 football right now
-Why are you ok with a coach getting $28,000 in performance incentives for this?

3.) Hope floats, I guess. You're just going to be disappointed.

The only P5 conference on the table at all anymore is the Big East. Maybe.
So I feel like I guessed wrong on not treating you like a troll, at least on this issue, but just sum up:

1) The fact that you weren't aware that we've been playing football in Storrs doesn't mean that we don't have a long history playing football, it just means you are ill-informed. Likewise the fact that you weren't aware that UConn football has won 17 championships doesn't mean that they never happened, it just means you are ill-informed. See the trend?

2) Randy Edsall in his second year of the rebuild. He may succeed, he may not, but anyone who even tangentially follows sports understands that it is too soon to tell. You aren't expecting Hurley to win a natty this year are you?

3) Randy's deal is that he took a low salary that was incentive laden. That's the agreement. He's entitled to those incentives whenever he hit's them. That's not a hard concept.

Feel free to get the last word is if you'd like. I'm out, since it seems clear that you aren't interested in a rational conversation.

Reaction Score
I haven't read this entire thread so someone could have said this already, but wasn't UConn the blueprint and Villanova copied UConn? They've just done it better very recently than we have.

Reaction Score

How on earth did this get some likes? Dude, compared UConn basketball to UConn football.

Reaction Score
Let's take a break from the detour into a pis__ng contest and talk about the title of this epoch, Villanova.

It's amazing how Jay Wright has been elevated in accomplishments and stature in the last FIVE years. Except for 05/06, he wallowed in mediocrity for his first 12 years at Villanova, including 13-19 in 11/12 and 20-14 in 12/13.

In the five years since, he's had great winning records each year but went out in the round of 32 three times and won the National Championship the other two years. Not a criticism, but all we heard for his first twelve years was how well dressed he was because there was not much else to praise.

I may be wrong, but wasn't Ollie in the mix for Hart and Brunson? If he lost them due to his lack of effort in recruiting, as some say, Jay Wright was the beneficiary and instead of two NC's he might still be looking for his first Final Four.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We were passed on when we actually had a decent football program. Now the landscape is vastly different and top tier football has passed us by. No football conference wants us and we don't provide anything they don't already have. So lets just keep throwing money we don't have/make at a dead football program?

You look at the landscape and see what is, not what could be. Can't operate like that.

We were passed largely because of some shenanigans (BC) and shortsightedness. I'm willing to bet we'd be in next time if conferences are looking to add. That last bit is what decides our fate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom