Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL....do you get the feeling that Jamelle Elliot adopted Alliyah Edwards? Alliyah stood next to Jamelle throughout the postgame & sought her after coming out during the game. If AE has become Jamelle's personal project, it has paid great dividends.

Reaction Score
Talk about Dorka and how she was lost in the beginning of the year. Wow she is throwing one handed bounce passes on the back door cuts. She does the screen and slip to the side for open jumpers. She works the high low from both sides. She jumps out on the switches and recovers for the switchback. What a difference and I hope she comes back next year. Azzi is great on defense and rebounding and the mid range game. We need for her to be a dominant player to make it all the way. Geno knows that and is preparing her for that role.

Reaction Score
I don't think the story of this game or the last one was Aaliyah at all. She had 5 turnovers this game, didn't know what to do with the ball under the basket half of the time, and just isn't a complete basketball player. She is extremely athletic and if that can be turned into a complete basketball player in the next two years that would be great but right now I worry about her in the Elite 8 and FF games. Just too many mistakes.

I thought a big story these last two games was Evina. It's like she got a new jet pack. Her speed seems to have increased, her confidence is sky high, and she should have had even more assists. Her going coast to coast was great and showed a lot of people just what kind of a player she really is. She was leading scorer the last two games, tied for combined most assists in those games, and was a great floor general. It was heartwarming to see. She has had a lot on her shoulders this year and she will make some WNBA team very happy.

It was all about the defense again. With this many bodies, and with the caliber of players we have, the press and then tight man to man defense in the half court just wears you down. I thought the 2-3 zone was run really well also. On offense, just too many weapons and I was very glad Caroline got the ball tonight. She became a real offensive threat when she started during the season and has a tremendous future ahead of her. She can score in bunches underneath and can also sink the 3 as was shown tonight.

What can you say? We have been waiting all season and the way this team is forming now (still present tense) is both thrilling and interesting at the same time. During the dark days of the regular season I thought Geno's job was an awful one to have. Now I am completely jealous. So many combinations, so many fun ways to play, so many delightful players, all of which is making for one very unselfish team.

Reaction Score
With all that's been said in the joy of this win, to me one of the most telling was that Azzi played 36 mins, AE played 31 minutes, and CW played 29. Geno still believes, in crunch time, in giving the most minutes to the players he trusts the most.
Let's just say that Coach was saving Paige on her 3rd game in 3 days and gave the 9 minutes saved (from 18 the previous game) to Azzi, so she would have gotten somewhere in the mid-20s. CW had been playing the most minutes throughout these late season games for a while now.

But I really think giving it to Azzi was by design: he wanted her to get more acclimated to tournament play, especially since she shot almost an egg the previous game. To her credit, she recovered.....but Geno gave her the time to get her rhythm. Good coach, don't you think? He knows he wants her fully confident for the Big Dance.....this was a recovery game for her.

You can wonder which came first. Doesn't matter - he got what he wanted in both.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let's just say that Coach was saving Paige on her 3rd game in 3 days and gave the 9 minutes saved (from 18 the previous game) to Azzi, so she would have gotten somewhere in the mid-20s. CW had been playing the most minutes throughout these late season games for a while now.

But I really think giving it to Azzi was by design: he wanted her to get more acclimated to tournament play, especially since she shot almost an egg the previous game. To her credit, she recovered.....but Geno gave her the time to get her rhythm. Good coach, don't you think? He knows he wants her fully confident for the Big Dance.....this was a recovery game for her.

You can wonder which came first. Doesn't matter - he got what he wanted in both.
I did also try to warn people that Paige seemed to be struggling against Marquette, on her close outs, and her cuts on defense. I said her off ball pace in transition was not good as well, and that I didn't expect her to get as many minutes as she did against Villanova as she did against Marquette. 3 weeks off will do her wonders, because she needs it.

Reaction Score
I think Paige is not really used to all the movement from her teammates. Before her injury, there was so much standing around during offensive sets. Over the last 10 games or so, we are really moving so well without the ball. Especially Azzi and Caroline.

I rather have the team playing well moving w/o the ball than having Paige plays light out and the rest of the team standing around and watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I rather have the team playing well moving w/o the ball than having Paige plays light out and the rest of the team standing around and watch.
Of course but it takes getting used to and Paige must limit her pass at all cost mentality she seems to have developed to fit in to all the new talent (especially early in the game)

Reaction Score
Of course but it takes getting used to and Paige must limit her pass at all cost mentality she seems to have (especially early in the game)

her passing accuracy (or strength) is also a bit off that last couple of games, especially when she tries to do too much with the pass.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Very nice of Fox to stay after the game and allow us to watch all the awards ceremonies and not cut away to other programming. :)
They did it last year also, they showed the whole awards ceremonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom