View from courtside | The Boneyard

View from courtside

Reaction Score
Row B in GP.
Took a buddy who hadn't been back to Storrs since graduation many moons ago.
It didn't take long for him to scream: "What, what the <heck> was that!?"
The low view of Akok's early alley-oop was an award winning pic if I had it - high and over the back of a defender at a 45 degree angle - just ultra perspective.
Seeing AJ spring up over the rest and take off downcourt through bodies and conundrum-ly, the sequence directly in front of us where he gave the ball away twice within a few seconds with Danny in the background swearing his head off like Yosemite Sam. That's Entertainment.
I've seen things from close-ups of injury treatments to off-court cheerleader drama. National anthem singers with the mic shaking in their white-knuckled hands. Refs appearing human while getting chatty with the on-court fans and media mouths. Off-camera views of all sorts of player reactions - Hawk seems especially frustrated to not get the pass these days, lol. Shabazz was never one to hide his feelings.
Yeah, I'm lucky. I've been everywhere in Gampel over the years and every seat was precious. Final Fours aside, to be able to witness this level of play at a YMCA view is the giddy ROI.
LOL, Young Isaiah is 6'9".

it3.JPG

Reaction Score
I've watched a few games from the first row behind the Washington Wizards bench.

Two things stand out. The amount of physically play in the lane. Guys bounce around off bodies like a pinball game. Centers fighting for position is like non-stop pro wrestling. I couldn't believe the amount of contact that driving guards could take and still got off accurate shots.

Second. The players size. They are giants. Even the ltttle guys are big. They are not the same as us.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Best seats I ever had were the 2015 opening game vs Bryant. Raised the banner in a packed house then eeked by Bryant in a game that showed how dysfunctional that team would be. We were the row directly behind Bryant and my main takeaway was Boatright sprinting for 40 straight minutes without seeming to breathe let alone sweat. My second take away was how old and beaten down Al Skinner looked. Nothing like the fiery coach he was for those tough early 2000 BC teams.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I've watched a few games from the first row behind the Washington Wizards bench.

Two things stand out. The amount of physically play in the lane. Guys bounce around off bodies like a pinball game. Centers fighting for position is like non-stop pro wrestling. I couldn't believe the amount of contact that driving guards could take and still got off accurate shots.

Second. The players size. They are giants. Even the ltttle guys are big. They are not the same as us.
It’s easy to forget how tall 6’2-6’3 is because they are the shortest dudes on the court. I passed Christian Vital on the concourse at the Rent a couple years ago and I was harshly reminded of my own size and how it compares to a “small” basketball player.

Reaction Score
It’s easy to forget how tall 6’2-6’3 is because they are the shortest dudes on the court. I passed Christian Vital on the concourse at the Rent a couple years ago and I was harshly reminded of my own size and how it compares to a “small” basketball player.
This reminds me of one of my favorite memories in college: attending a party w/ Thabeet in attendance.

All I remember is me being very drunk and then seeing him standing in the middle of a crowd just waving at people.

There was such an absurdity to that moment, that simple action/memory brings so much joy.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
This reminds me of one of my favorite memories in college: attending a party w/ Thabeet in attendance.

All I remember is me being very drunk and then seeing him standing in the middle of a crowd just waving at people.

There was such an absurdity to that moment, that simple action/memory brings so much joy.
A buddy of mine went back to his dorm one night to find Charles Okwandu asleep in his bed (apparently my friend’s roommate had been out at a party with him and offered up the “extra” bed lol). He said all he could see was Okwandu’s head on the pillow…and his legs hanging off the foot of the bed, feet practically flat on the floor.

My buddy did the right thing and went to his girlfriend’s for the night…let the big man get his rest.

Reaction Score

Long story short, while attending the NIT a loooong time ago, we pile into a hotel elevator going up to our room from a mezzanine bar, operator calls out a floor someone had requested, a deep voice from the rear says "that's me", we all turn and there's Wilt, taking up the entire back wall. I've been in many NBA locker rooms, they are giants, but no one was as big as Wilt.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
When I was in the army back in 2007 Shawn Bradley and a couple of other former players came out on a USO tour to our FOB in Iraq.

I got a chance to go meet him and I were still remember my first thought when looking at him is why is he standing on a stool? It seriously took a minute to realize dear God he is that tall.

Reaction Score
Long story short, while attending the NIT a loooong time ago, we pile into a hotel elevator going up to our room from a mezzanine bar, operator calls out a floor someone had requested, a deep voice from the rear says "that's me", we all turn and there's Wilt, taking up the entire back wall. I've been in many NBA locker rooms, they are giants, but no one was as big as Wilt.
I literally almost ran into Tacko Fall last spring. Now he's tall! I was parked in a garage in downtown Boston and I was walking over to the valet to get my car and was looking at emails on my phone when I kind of noticed I was walking towards someone and my eyes were at his stomach level. My brain couldn't comprehend how that was possible so I look up quickly and then looked up at the guy's face and I say, "Oh, hi Tacko." It was before a playoff game so I wished him good luck as he got into his white Mercedes (even though I knew there was no way he was playing). I asked the valet guys why he was there and they said he was renting someone's condo in the building and was a really nice guy.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I literally almost ran into Tacko Fall last spring. Now he's tall! I was parked in a garage in downtown Boston and I was walking over to the valet to get my car and was looking at emails on my phone when I kind of noticed I was walking towards someone and my eyes were at his stomach level. My brain couldn't comprehend how that was possible so I look up quickly and then looked up at the guy's face and I say, "Oh, hi Tacko." It was before a playoff game so I wished him good luck as he got into his white Mercedes (even though I knew there was no way he was playing). I asked the valet guys why he was there and they said he was renting someone's condo in the building and was a really nice guy.
Really smart dude too.

Reaction Score
I've never sat courtside for a UConn game but I was fortunate enough to get 3rd row seats to a Knicks game against the Wizards several years back. John Wall had a dunk over Baron Davis that looked like he jumped off a trampoline. It looked fake, even up close in person. Games on television don't do justice to the size, athleticism, and physicality of the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Third row is the best I’ve ever done as well. The thing that is really striking is the speed of the game. You don’t get a sense of it when you’re higher, and definitely don’t on TV. Passing lanes open and close in an instant. People appear to be throwing the ball to no one only to have a player run and catch it in stride. It really is impressive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom