Video : You can tell Jurich (Lousiville AD) is royally pissed! | The Boneyard

Video : You can tell Jurich (Lousiville AD) is royally pissed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. Burn. Cuse and Pitt have to suffer with the backlash for 27 months though.

Reaction Score
Love the insult in the beginning. Do we really blame Pitt and Syracuse though at this point? There is no doubt in my mind UCONN has been talking (and Louisville, and the rest of the Big East) to other conferences. And I would want UCONN to explore its options. But I do agree, Pitt was a little surprising.

Reaction Score
Yet another guy charged with organizing the BE shivving it in the back. First Father Leahy now Nordenburg.

Reaction Score
Love the insult in the beginning. Do we really blame Pitt and Syracuse though at this point? There is no doubt in my mind UCONN has been talking (and Louisville, and the rest of the Big East) to other conferences. And I would want UCONN to explore its options. But I do agree, Pitt was a little surprising.

Uh, with word that Texas and the Big 12 were inviting Louisville and Pitt to the conference to shore it up, I wonder if Pitt gave Louisville assurances that the BE was a much better bet.

Reaction Score
The worst part about this video is that he is stunned and clueless. If he is stunned and clueless there is a very good chance that UConn and the rest of the Big East are just as stunned. If he is this clueless there is a very good chance that we were not prepared for this at all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Jurich is pretty much on the ball. If this is his reaction, Pitt & Cuse made quite a few enemies with this move.

Reaction Score
The worst part about this video is that he is stunned and clueless. If he is stunned and clueless there is a very good chance that UConn and the rest of the Big East are just as stunned. If he is this clueless there is a very good chance that we were not prepared for this at all.
Agree. Jurich is no idiot. It came out of nowhere but NO ONE can claimed to be stunned. The writing is on the wall with CFB. Lookout for yourself first and foremost and if you have to damage long time partners in the process, well that is just collateral damage. That precedent was set back when the ACC raided the Big East last time. It is a crying shame but that is where college football is today.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
1) Oklahoma goes to the PAC
2) Missouri and TAMU accept their SEC invites
3) Texas/Texas Tech shops the 4 mega conferences and finds a home with the PAC.
4) The SEC and ACC shuffle their feet over WVU and the NYC market and Kansas.
5) The BiG adds Rutgers and ND.
6) The SEC suprises and adds Kansas and WVU
7) The BiG suprises and adds Iowa State and UConn
8) The ACC adds Cincy and Louisville

Lawsuits fly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Check out this raw video of an interview with Jurich:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ri...m-big-east-wants-cards-to-land-in-right-spot/

He seems extremely surprised and royally pissed! His comments about Pitt are direct and to the point. There is no way that anyone had any inclination that this was coming....complete back-stabbing done by Pitt. Wow!

Pitt's President has some significant fiduciary problems. Fiduciary violations go well beyond civil liability. You would be surprised at how few people in a fiduciary position realize they are taking on criminal liability in that situation.

Reaction Score
Pitt's President has some significant fiduciary problems. Fiduciary violations go well beyond civil liability. You would be surprised at how few people in a fiduciary position realize they are taking on criminal liability in that situation.

For those of you, like me, who had no idea what this was: from Wikipedia "A fiduciary duty[1] is the highest standard of care at either equity or law. A fiduciary (abbreviation fid) is expected to be extremely loyal to the person to whom he owes the duty (the "principal"): he must not put his personal interests before the duty, and must not profit from his position as a fiduciary, unless the principal consents."

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
This could be a very grey area (or possibly a non issue). I do not know exactly what Nordenberg's official title or duties were within (as Jurichj claimed) 'keeping the conference together' but unless this was an appointed position I'm not sure that he is responsible for anyone's interests beyond his employer (Pitt).

Marinatto, as conference commissioner obviously has a fiduciary responsibility to the conference (and to a smaller extent its individual members) but there are limits to his responsibilities to the individual members (ie one of the catholic members cannot file a claim that he allowed an unfair revenue split in favor of the football members if there was a a vote among all members on the revenue sharing agreement).

If Marinatto solicited advice from Nordenberg in declining the television contract offer (assuming that there was no further level of agreement required before declining the offer), it would be Marinatto at fault for taking questionable advice, not Nordenberg for offering it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Do we really need more lawsuits?

On one hand, I can totally understand the need. The school stands to lose millions a year.

On the other, the last one on our behalf did us no favors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This could be a very grey area (or possibly a non issue). I do not know exactly what Nordenberg's official title or duties were within (as Jurichj claimed) 'keeping the conference together' but unless this was an appointed position I'm not sure that he is responsible for anyone's interests beyond his employer (Pitt).

Marinatto, as conference commissioner obviously has a fiduciary responsibility to the conference (and to a smaller extent its individual members) but there are limits to his responsibilities to the individual members (ie one of the catholic members cannot file a claim that he allowed an unfair revenue split in favor of the football members if there was a a vote among all members on the revenue sharing agreement).

If Marinatto solicited advice from Nordenberg in declining the television contract offer (assuming that there was no further level of agreement required before declining the offer), it would be Marinatto at fault for taking questionable advice, not Nordenberg for offering it.

If that is your attitude about these kinds of matters, then I hope you are never in a fiduciary role, because you could find yourself in jail.

Fiduciaries are legally required to recuse themselves immediately when they become aware of a conflict of interest that would prevent them from fulfilling their fiduciary responsibilities objectively and to the best of their ability for all of their principals. It is not something they should do, or try to do. It is a legal responsibility.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

On one hand, I can totally understand the need. The school stands to lose millions a year.

You are right. They won. We should just say "nice work Pitt and Syracuse" and join the A10.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If that is your attitude about these kinds of matters, then I hope you are never in a fiduciary role, because you could find yourself in jail.

Fiduciaries are legally required to recuse themselves immediately when they become aware of a conflict of interest that would prevent them from fulfilling their fiduciary responsibilities objectively and to the best of their ability for all of their principals. It is not something they should do, or try to do. It is a legal responsibility.

Tell me, what exactly was Nordenberg;s official role within the BE conference (I don't know the answer but the answer is quite important). Without being officially appointed to some position (for all we know he could have merely been one of a few people Marinatto was leaning on for advice), it is difficult to argue that his responsibility extends beyond Pitt. Paul Tswgliabue is also advising on the television negotiations. Can he be sued (for neglecting his fiduciary responsibility) because he led some to believe that a contract would become available that in reality may always have been out of reach?

Similar to the discussion we had earlier on whether the ACC lured Pitt and Cuse or if they applied for membership, how some interpret things does not always align with what can be proven. You stopped replying when you knew you were wrong on that thread. I wonder if you will do the same here.

Reaction Score

Let me reiterate:

The ACC lawsuit was successful. We did NOT win. But we did retain the BCS status through the next 7 years ... which was forced through our ability to press them in court. You do what you have to do. We have some rights. The B12 teams ... gosh ... had big contracts (far beyond our situation) that induced them to start Capital items. I think Texas A&M is liable.

Reaction Score
For those of you, like me, who had no idea what this was: from Wikipedia "A fiduciary duty[1] is the highest standard of care at either equity or law. A fiduciary (abbreviation fid) is expected to be extremely loyal to the person to whom he owes the duty (the "principal"): he must not put his personal interests before the duty, and must not profit from his position as a fiduciary, unless the principal consents."
Trust me, this is not a "fiduciary" duty. Fiduciary is reserved for trustees, lawyers, guardians, conservators, etc. Fuggedabowdit.

Reaction Score
Let me reiterate:

The ACC lawsuit was successful. We did NOT win. But we did retain the BCS status through the next 7 years ... which was forced through our ability to press them in court. You do what you have to do. We have some rights. The B12 teams ... gosh ... had big contracts (far beyond our situation) that induced them to start Capital items. I think Texas A&M is liable.

Do you really believe we retained BCS as a direct result of the lawsuit? My apologies, but I do not agree.

Reaction Score
I do. I think WE raised a lot of hell & administrators all over academia ... plus powers that be ... saw what could be: Chaos. Lots of legal motions.

2004 is peanuts (note my Charlie Brown pic) compared to what this could be. And, its' not us: it is that damn contract Texas A&M agreed to ... before they decided they didn't agree.

Reaction Score
I do. I think WE raised a lot of hell & administrators all over academia ... plus powers that be ... saw what could be: Chaos. Lots of legal motions.

2004 is peanuts (note my Charlie Brown pic) compared to what this could be. And, its' not us: it is that damn contract Texas A&M agreed to ... before they decided they didn't agree.

I do not believe the lawsuit had anything to do with BCS. If you recall there was a lot of talk about a BE team needing to b in the top 12. Wasn't it on average over 3 year? However, it may be the lawsuit which prevents the ACC from looking at Uconn as a viable addition.

Reaction Score
You are right. They won. We should just say "nice work Pitt and Syracuse" and join the A10.

This would certainly solve our football problems. The team would win at least 8 games a season.

Reaction Score
That lawsuit may have been a pyrhhic victory. It may have poisoned our future. Hopefully our old adversaries are willing to let bygones be bygones. Otherwise we could be the ECU of the northeast.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wish we could get a live video feed of Jurich that we could watch. I can just picture him in his office as he sits there and puts everything together in his mind as the powers at UConn, Rutgers, and West Virginia will not return his calls or have any contact with him. I think he is just now realizing (as we all are now) what has actually happened here. Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF all got completely used by the original Big East football members and he never saw it coming. I actually feel bad for Jurich, as he seems like a great AD and leader. But I am sure he is not a happy camper right about now...that would be one intense live video to watch!

That bring said, I think Louisville will end up in a good spot when all is said and done because of the Jurich and their huge investment and growth. But Cincinnati....I'd be worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom