Video: UConn Hoops 1982-1996 | The Boneyard

Video: UConn Hoops 1982-1996

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier post I had found some UConn Hoop Clips DVDs in my office. Finally remembered where they came from. A friend of a friend worked at one of the CT news stations and made the discs. I ended up with copies. These are pretty awesome trips down memory lane even with the occasional highlight that doesn't end up in UConn's favor. The playlist link is below and is around 2 hrs total. They are unlisted videos so you need to get to them via the link. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBENDPnLBmA&list=PL2tMHFmGS6kh8aroTJoXs8863aDUo_rGZ
UConn Hoops 1982-1996

Working on converting 1996-2003 and 2003-2004 before the end of the week but who knows.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Tommy, Thank you so much. It was great to see Cliff again and those guys from 1990. My God! Love watching their D, Henefeld was amazing! Great hands and vision.Great to see the Chris, Gwynne, Walker, Burrel, DePriest, Rod. What a great team. Great moment from Dan Cyrulik and Jeff King (rest his soul) that I had forgotten about. Thanks!

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Tommy, Thank you so much. It was great to see Cliff again and those guys from 1990. My God! Love watching their D, Henefeld was amazing! Great hands and vision.Great to see the Chris, Gwynne, Walker, Burrel, DePriest, Rod. What a great team. Great moment from Dan Cyrulik and Jeff King (rest his soul) that I had forgotten about. Thanks!
No problem. I felt the same way watching it.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Treasure trove!

Was so great seeing Scott Burrell again. Maybe/probably the most underrated player of the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
I liked seeing Tim Coles go at it again. Imagine next year's team with Coles on it.

And, no, the win over Syracuse wasn't UConn's biggest win up until that point.

Reaction Score
Still watching them, a few random thoughts:

1. That might be the first time I've ever seen a televised shot of a game in the Field House. Did we really have an outline of the state of CT on center court?

2. Lots of Ollie in these clips. Strangely he looks almost exactly the same, like he hasn't aged a day.

3. Donny Marshall was a friggin' beast, and very adept at pissing people off. The "sarcastic clapping" technical and both fights with Charles Minlend of St. John's are on there.

4. Two things jumped out at me on part 4.

a. Skip to about 9:16 and drink it in. Seniors Donny Marshall and Kevin Ollie are celebrating a senior night win with Ray Allen, all in the same shot. It's surreal to see that and realize that 19 years later Donny Marshall would be announcing a broadcast of Head Coach Kevin Ollie guiding the Huskies through the 2014 Final Four for our fourth title while Ray Allen is going for his third NBA championship ring.

b. Right after that clip, we see Ray Allen wearing #44 with no name on the back of his jersey. Anyone have any idea what the deal was with that?
These clips are amazing, especially for anyone under 30 who has probably never seen 90% of them.

Reaction Score
Ugh. 2:16 of the first video was my first UConn game ever. Jeff King passes to nobody . . .

Reaction Score
Man, Calhoun got bossed by Coach K on inbound plays in the 1990 Duke game. Not only the game winner, but we nearly gave up a lob with .3 left in regulation. Both would have been stopped by guarding the inbound pass!

Reaction Score
What memories. Thanks for that!

My first season of recollection is the 1992 season which has all but been forgotten with no Youtube clips to refresh my memory. I had forgotten all about that last second loss at Georgetown until I saw that clip. I think that was one of my first UConn games I watched. I also remember blowing out Nebraska and jumping out to a lead vs Ohio State before getting blown out.

I had never seen a clip of a UConn game at the Field House before. Sounded like it was a mad house.

I will always wonder how the '90s would have turned out for UConn had Tate George held onto that damn ball and we got the Final 4 monkey off our back right off the bat. You can tell the 1994 and 1996 teams especially played very tight in their tournament games. Early rounds struggles, a choke job vs Fla, and a no show slow start vs Miss State. Very manageable paths squandered. 1995 looked the most relaxed and ready to take care of business but ran into a juggernaut. That sums up our luck that decade. They probably easily get to the Final 4 had they gotten the manageable draws of 1994 and 1996. Still really bugs me we didn't make a Final 4 during that time period. Those 3 teams were as well built as any we had. Just the clips showed how great those 3 teams were.

Last edited:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Just great! Chris Smith hitting big 3's over and over, Tate George making big plays, but what a reminder of Nadav. He was something really special....uncanny comes to mind. A sort of Matrix-like ability to slow time and anticipate. Henefeld buried Georgetown after Alonzo's allegedly anti-semitic remarks - totally focused and not sucked in. Cyrulik makes some big shots.... Scott Burrell's jaw-dropping plays. "The Pass" for "The Shot" was perfect from Burrell. DePriest was fierce and Gwynn was a revelation. Oh, so damn close and it had to be Laettner. Add Donyell and wow, the video brings back how dominant he was. Torraino Walker erupts like a volcano. Kevin Ollie arrives and Donyell blossoms. Ray Allen has "it" as a freshman unlike any other...you knew he was special. Doron was another great import, a two point guard team. Donny runs like the wind and ....that's all I watched (so far)...

The magic of those early years was just as good as the NC's, or almost.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The long frustrating journey from the dream season to the 1999 championship was filled with great players, tough breaks and a tendency to get knocked out by the eventual NC.
Except for two really disappointing tournament, it was more heroic than snake-bit. Other than Donyel's missed free throws, the hardest thing was when Nadav didn't return for a second year. Either would have probably meant a FF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom