Video: Sue Bird talks about the Uconn "sorority" | The Boneyard

Video: Sue Bird talks about the Uconn "sorority"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya's on the same site talking about drumming and juggling.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. Rebecca's going to need to get back at Sue at some point! Ten years older? More like seven.

2. NBC- it's the Olympics; step up your game. It's alumnae, not alumni. For Pete's sake.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
1. Rebecca's going to need to get back at Sue at some point! Ten years older? More like seven.

2. NBC- it's the Olympics; step up your game. It's alumnae, not alumni. For Pete's sake.

"We used to have “alumnus” (male singular), “alumni” (male plural), “alumna” (female singular) and “alumnae” (female plural); but the latter two are now popular only among older female graduates, with the first two terms becoming unisex. However, it is still important to distinguish between one alumnus and a stadium full of alumni. Never say, “I am an alumni” if you don’t want to cast discredit on your school. Many avoid the whole problem by resorting to the informal abbreviation “alum.”"

From Common Errors in English Usage

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am male and still reasonably young, and I disagree. Did someone go back and consult the Romans?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Just be sure you see Maya juggling. She is so amazing...so articulate and funny too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"We used to have “alumnus” (male singular), “alumni” (male plural), “alumna” (female singular) and “alumnae” (female plural); but the latter two are now popular only among older female graduates, with the first two terms becoming unisex. However, it is still important to distinguish between one alumnus and a stadium full of alumni. Never say, “I am an alumni” if you don’t want to cast discredit on your school. Many avoid the whole problem by resorting to the informal abbreviation “alum.”"

From Common Errors in English Usage
Just goes to show Latin is not a dead language, it is still adapted.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am male and still reasonably young, and I disagree. Did someone go back and consult the Romans?
Yeah, but you live in the northeast and like Texas. You're weird all the way around.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

With this, and other posts of yours, you align yourself with an epistemology known as scholasticism. FWIW, I align myself with empiricism. You don't need to read anything into that; I respect, enjoy and often agree with your posts. This merely reflects the underlying root to the different dispositions we have in this particular instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom