Video Preview: Marquette's Tyler Kolek & Olivier-Maxence Prosper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Video Preview: Marquette's Tyler Kolek & Olivier-Maxence Prosper

Reaction Score
@Memphis, January 2014 (unless I missed a more recent one)
Almost 9 years, that is crazy. Although it's a bit misleading from the purgatory of the AAC where we would play a maximum of 2 ranked away games a year, sometimes none (18-19 season)

Reaction Score
I’d like him on Prosper as welll lol

Offense runs through Kolek. Possible that Hurley has Jackson hound him all game and makes him uncomfortable?
I don't think so. I have not read through this entire thread so I don't know if anyone else said this, but Kolek is a facilitator and looks to run the offense more than looks to score, although he can score well if teams completely lay off of him (i.e. his game vs Providence).

AJax would be better off on OMax Prosper or Kam Jones, although I lean toward OMax because Hawkins needs to guard someone and I think he has a better chance of defending Kam Jones. Plus, if Kam, when playing defense, has to chase Hawkins a lot it could wear him out and diminish his offense.

The thought of Karaban on OMax Prosper doesn't appeal to me. He would be probably better guarding Stevie Mitchell even though Mitchell has been hot lately and can go by Karaban some at least Karaban has a significant size advantage. If Marquette doesn't switch their defensive assignments Karaban can shoot over Stevie Mitchell.

Mitchell and Kolek are their weakest defenders and if either of them get caught on Hawkins he can score by shooting over them with ease.

Reaction Score
No to a zone tonight -- Kolek would kill it by dribbling into the seams and finding shooters and cutters.

However we start, I think we see plenty of Jackson on OMP over the course of the game. He should definitely be on him when Joplin is in for Jones -- Karaban can move to Joplin.

And a note on ball screen defense (the dreaded "high hedge" discussion). This is not a game to employ an aggressive hedge. Kolek's vision is too good and it will lead to easy dunks. Drop with the roller, fight through and make him beat you with jump shots.

Reaction Score
It was. I can’t get too mad that’s a Calhoun man up thing. He even prefaced it in the press conferences.
I didn't hear his postgame presser but I've seen several posters say Jackson would've been on him when it was pretty clear the decision was made to roll with Karaban on Hopkins from the start. I hated seeing it from the opening tip, Karaban isn't physically capable of guarding Hopkins at this stage in his career. Not a matter of toughness, he's just too hard a cover for him now and it felt like he was left out on an island to fail.

Reaction Score
No to a zone tonight -- Kolek would kill it by dribbling into the seams and finding shooters and cutters.

However we start, I think we see plenty of Jackson on OMP over the course of the game. He should definitely be on him when Joplin is in for Jones -- Karaban can move to Joplin.

And a note on ball screen defense (the dreaded "high hedge" discussion). This is not a game to employ an aggressive hedge. Kolek's vision is too good and it will lead to easy dunks. Drop with the roller, fight through and make him beat you with jump shots.
100% on your post. Kolek's passing ability and floor vision is equal to that of AJax. If a man is open in a position they can score, they will find them and deliver the perfect pass.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn't hear his postgame presser but I've seen several posters say Jackson would've been on him when it was pretty clear the decision was made to roll with Karaban on Hopkins from the start. I hated seeing it from the opening tip, Karaban isn't physically capable of guarding Hopkins at this stage in his career. Not a matter of toughness, he's just too hard a cover for him now and it felt like he was left out on an island to fail.
I know it didn't go well, but mostly it was Hopkins overpowering AK inside. He hit outside shots, but those didn't feel like individual defensive failures to me. I'm not sure Jackson would have done any better. I agree we needed to try something, but I'm not sure what.

You guys know Prosper better than I do, but he seems less likely to overpower Karaban inside with speed and strength. I'm not too worried about Alex guarding guys outside or in the midrange.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I really hope Samson is capable when he gets back if ever this year. Every game it seems like we have a match up issue at the 4. I love Alex but he needs another year to put some mass on so he can be better equipped to handle his man. I hope we keep it close tonight.

Reaction Score
Aj on Hopkins was optimal too. It didn’t happen. I,of course, defer to coach but sometimes he has different ideas. But he’s UConn’s coach and I’m a fat 55 year old with a 12 week old. I’ll trust it. Or try to.
Stop eating at Arby's. Then you'd just be a 55 year old with a 12 week old. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom