Video Preview: Marquette's Tyler Kolek & Olivier-Maxence Prosper | The Boneyard

Video Preview: Marquette's Tyler Kolek & Olivier-Maxence Prosper

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hey everyone!

It should be a very competitive game tonight as UConn travels to Milwaukee with a chance to earn their first Top 25 road win this season at Marquette.

Marquette is one of the best offensive teams in the country this year (6th in KenPom Adjusted Offensive Efficiency) and their offense revolves around 2 very skilled, and very different, offensive players.

I take a look at Tyler Kolek, who is 3rd in the NCAA in assists with 8 per game and break-down future NBA player Olivier-Maxence Prosper.

As always, hope you enjoy and thanks for watching. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Good insight on the OMax pump fake
  • Newton has to use his length and height to disrupt Kolek's passing angles and vision.
  • Hawkins has to use his size and athleticism advantage to attack Mitchell, perhaps also on the offensive glass.
  • Jackson has to use his athleticism and recovery ability to take away both Jones' perimeter shot and also driving game.
  • Karaban... good luck. We're going to need to help on the OMax drives without giving up open 3s and offensive rebounds. Have to be an amoeba. This might be the game we miss Samson the most (Hopkins power and Freemantle refinement would've given him trouble also, I think. This size+athleticism matchup would've been his ideal use case).
  • Sanogo has to take Ighodaro to the woodshed.
They use a ton of zoom action with Ighadaro dribble handoffs and high post Princeton-style back cuts, which is why Ighodaro has a guard-like assist rate. This is going to suck our center away from the rim a bit, which might neutralize Clingan defensively a bit. We've gotta stay awake off ball and communicate on back screens. If Karaban is getting killed, we might want to try Jackson at the 4 and/or 2-bigs. Karaban does not have a good matchup elsewhere to try (Ighodaro is a lob threat, Kam Jones is small and quick and a great driver).

That being said, we should feast inside and on the boards. Our guards have to take advantage of the athleticism matchup they have 1-3. Whether it's passing over the press or getting out in transition or hitting the offensive boards. If OMax eats but we keep everyone else in check and just out possession and outscore them, could be a good formula on the road.

Reaction Score
  • Newton has to use his length and height to disrupt Kolek's passing angles and vision.
  • Hawkins has to use his size and athleticism advantage to attack Mitchell, perhaps also on the offensive glass.
  • Jackson has to use his athleticism and recovery ability to take away both Jones' perimeter shot and also driving game.
  • Karaban... good luck. We're going to need to help on the OMax drives without giving up open 3s and offensive rebounds. Have to be an amoeba. This might be the game we miss Samson the most (Hopkins power and Freemantle refinement would've given him trouble also, I think. This size+athleticism matchup would've been his ideal use case).
They use a ton of zoom action with Ighadaro dribble handoffs and high post Princeton-style back cuts, which is why Ighodaro has a guard-like assist rate. This is going to suck our center away from the rim a bit, which might neutralize Clingan defensively a bit. We've gotta stay awake off ball and communicate on back screens. If Karaban is getting killed, we might want to try Jackson at the 4 and/or 2-bigs. Karaban does not have a good matchup elsewhere to try (Ighodaro is a lob threat, Kam Jones is small and quick and a great driver).

That being said, we should feast inside and on the boards. Our guards have to take advantage of the athleticism matchup they have 1-3. Whether it's passing over the press or getting out in transition or hitting the offensive boards. If OMax eats but we keep everyone else in check and just out possession and outscore them, could be a good formula on the road.
You think Jackson would be the better matchup on OMP?

Reaction Score
You think Jackson would be the better matchup on OMP?
I haven't watched a TON of Marquette (just random stuff here or there), but I don't think OMax is much of a post-up threat. So yeah I think Jackson should be able to do a decent job on his drives. I think Diarra, Newton/(Calcaterra), Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo/(Clingan) lineups should get a lot of minutes and be more optimal defensively today.

But on the other hand, if they're doubling Sanogo, it sure would be nice to have Karaban out there in the corner instead of both Jackson and Diarra. And while Clingan might have lessened impact on defense, he will absolutely feast on the offensive boards.

Might be one of those games where the teams don't quite have answers for each other (they are both top 10 offenses after all), so it'll be whomever's strength (prowess not physical) is stronger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Jackson guarding Jones too though given that he is their primary scorer

Reaction Score
Offense runs through Kolek. Possible that Hurley has Jackson hound him all game and makes him uncomfortable?
Yeah to elaborate on my thought process...Newton's length and Diarra's quickness+length should be able to at least somewhat bother Kolek. He's their engine, but he's not generating advantage himself. He's not overwhelming either of those ++ defenders at the point of attack. He's finding advantages created by others and cracks in the defense (smart cuts by others, mismatches created by PnR/dribble handoffs, openings from sags/help by defense for kickouts) and getting them the ball in positions to score. So I don't think the best strategy is to focus on him. I think it's better to seal the cracks (play super solid team D, which we almost always do), and force them into 1v1. Which is what our D usually does force. So I think Jackson on him is overkill when we'd rather use him to caulk over some of the cracks (either on a tougher 1v1 matchup or roving in passing lanes).

It's very likely we start Jackson on Jones and Karaban on OMax, largely because it gives us our best offensive lineup in the game with Karaban and because all our guys know their roles and places defensively with that lineup. It lets us play with the least structural holes. However, one of the reasons we lost against Providence and Xavier is because we couldn't win the 1v1 matchups often enough. We fouled too much in those scenarios, didn't play disciplined, and Karaban couldn't hold up. If OMax is going off against Karaban, we'll definitely need to try Jackson on him and hope our offense can keep up with 2 non-shooters.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Appreciate your additional insight here!

It’s a pick your poison type scenario with who you have Jackson guard. OMP or Jones. Because he can’t shut down both, so one with get a favorable match-up.

Initially I thought maybe some 2 big looks, too, but the way OMP plays the 4 attacking the hoop rather than posting-up, I don’t think Sanogo has the foot speed to guard him from the perimeter without fouling.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We've gotta stay awake off ball and communicate on back screens.
When you say that I keep flashing to Sanogo yelling at California for a dunk against X

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a TON of Marquette (just random stuff here or there), but I don't think OMax is much of a post-up threat. So yeah I think Jackson should be able to do a decent job on his drives. I think Diarra, Newton/(Calcaterra), Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo/(Clingan) lineups should get a lot of minutes and be more optimal defensively today.

But on the other hand, if they're doubling Sanogo, it sure would be nice to have Karaban out there in the corner instead of both Jackson and Diarra. And while Clingan might have lessened impact on defense, he will absolutely feast on the offensive boards.

Might be one of those games where the teams don't quite have answers for each other (they are both top 10 offenses after all), so it'll be whomever's strength (prowess not physical) is stronger.
Yeah I guess the best matchups are the ones the thread has outlined. Have AJ shut down Jones on the perimeter, and play help defense against OMP when necessary. Hopefully we do, because as others have said, we’ve left AK on an island a lot, and that not fair to him. Adama and Clingan should combine for 35+ though against their front line.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your additional insight here!

It’s a pick your poison type scenario with who you have Jackson guard. OMP or Jones. Because he can’t shut down both, so one with get a favorable match-up.

Initially I thought maybe some 2 big looks, too, but the way OMP plays the 4 attacking the hoop rather than posting-up, I don’t think Sanogo has the foot speed to guard him from the perimeter without fouling.
Another way to put it, I like Hawkins on Jones much more than I like Karaban on OMax, which is why Jackson on OMax becomes optimal. That and it opens up for Diarra to get on the court against Kolek. But that's only one side of the ball. Obviously I like Karaban on the court and Jackson rebounding over Jones more than the Diarra+Jackson lineup (in the half court at least, but nice thing with Diarra and Jackson on the court is that we usually force turnovers and get out in transition more).

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Another way to put it, I like Hawkins on Jones much more than I like Karaban on OMax, which is why Jackson on OMax becomes optimal. That and it opens up for Diarra to get on the court against Kolek. But that's only one side of the ball. Obviously I like Karaban on the court and Jackson rebounding over Jones more than the Diarra+Jackson lineup (in the half court at least, but nice thing with Diarra and Jackson on the court is that we usually force turnovers and get out in transition more).
Aj on Hopkins was optimal too. It didn’t happen. I,of course, defer to coach but sometimes he has different ideas. But he’s UConn’s coach and I’m a fat 55 year old with a 12 week old. I’ll trust it. Or try to.

Reaction Score
Aj on Hopkins was optimal too. It didn’t happen. I,of course, defer to coach but sometimes he has different ideas
Hopkins has a bit more lower body strength and power game than OMax, and AJ had the 2 quick fouls in the first half. So we went to double big instead until AJ went on him late.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Aj on Hopkins was optimal too. It didn’t happen. I,of course, defer to coach but sometimes he has different ideas. But he’s UConn’s coach and I’m a fat 55 year old with a 12 week old. I’ll trust it. Or try to.
I assume that was the plan but Jackson was in foul trouble all game so he went to plan b

Reaction Score
We've got a lot more reasonable options for their guards than OMP though. Newton, Hawkins, and Diarra on either of them does not result in a big mismatch, though Jones and Kolek are obviously very good. Karaban is going to give up a ton of quickness to OMP.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Hopkins has a bit more lower body strength and power game than OMax, and AJ had the 2 quick fouls in the first half. So we went to double big instead until AJ went on him late.
All true. But Hurley opened the game with karaban on Hopkins before AJ 2 fouls. In my mind AJ should’ve been in Hopkins from minute 1.

Reaction Score
Would Hurley have made the switch to Jackson if he didn't get 2 fouls? It sure seemed like his plan was to have Karaban on Hopkins.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Would Hurley have made the switch to Jackson if he didn't get 2 fouls? It sure seemed like his plan was to have Karaban on Hopkins.
It was. I can’t get too mad that’s a Calhoun man up thing. He even prefaced it in the press conferences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom