Video - ESPNW Commentators Discuss POY Award. | The Boneyard

Video - ESPNW Commentators Discuss POY Award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We could debate the opinions stated. We could get pissed and scream and shout. We could point out so many things regarding Stewie's performance. We could be outraged that commentators are disputing what was a landslide choice by the POY voters and publicly stating they got it wrong and Stewie is not deserving. (Saying she is deserving and then saying that it should have gone to someone else instead is not saying she is deserving. It's saying you believe she is not deserving, but you don't have the balls to be more direct.) I choose to say, "Congratulations Breanna Stewart, National Player of the Year. May your hard work and team-first attitude also make you National Champion again. And again. And again."

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Stewart is very deserving BUT..... these other guys were more deserving. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Stewart is very deserving BUT..... these other guys were more deserving. :rolleyes:

So was it a conspiracy? Sims reeived 6 votes- quoted here. Is Stewart more likeable? Short of yelling foul or conspiracy it is difficult to argue that the majority had it wrong. What Leslie argued for could easily be turned around. For example, EDD was so superior to her teammates that she had to score every time down, get rebounds and played the guard position. Put in such a position it is no surprise if the player ends up with high numbers. Should she have won POY? On a team where there are other super stars rising above them all calls for something extra. I like Sims a lot and think she will do well at the next level, but to what extent do defenses give her 20+points and concentrate on reaking havoc among her supporting casts? Maybe we should ask Chong what she thinks about playing with 3 AA at her side and an unacknowledged one who is, probably, a bit pissed about life's ever twists and turns! When you are the only flashing light/star its easy to lit the place up, but when there are others you have to learn how to get yours within the order of things. This is what holding back Chong and Banks, maybe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought it was a good discussion, and a valid debate, and no one said it was 'wrong' they just chose two people to propose the two runners up and defend their credentials and Peck clearly stated at the end if she were a coach, she would take Stewart.
The debate rages on between most valuable to your team and best player - in every sport every year. No question that Uconn would have done better this year without Stewart than Baylor without Sims or Stanford whiteout Chiney so they were 'more valuable', but the voters in a more lopsided vote than I expected decided that Stewart was the best player.
They both sort of down played defensive effort by Stewart at first, though Peck corrected that at the end.

HGN

Reaction Score
All the video told me is what i already knew , that there are many great players this year. Obviously the commentators opinions differs from the voters of the award. There were many players that were qualified and deserved the Award...... But only one could win.

Odyssey Sims carried her team this year. Chiney Ogumike carried her team this year. But only one player has carried her team to the brink of a Undefeated season and a NC. And that player is BREANNA STEWART.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's what TV people do...talk. Stewart is the best player in the country and is being rewarded accordingly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Peck clearly stated at the end if she were a coach, she would take Stewart.

Just to be clear, Peck did not imply she would take Stewart over Sims and Chiney. She said "hey, if I'm a coach I'd take her" and the inflection was not on the word "her," which would have implied she was choosing Stewart over Sims. I suspect she would, as would most coaches, but that did not appear to be the intent of that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom