Vicious Cycle | The Boneyard

Vicious Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right now we are at a critical point in the future of UConn athletics. The P5 are gaining more and more power by the day while everyone on the outside including us are looking in. While as a university we have a lot to offer (top 20 public school and improving along with top level men's and woman's ball programs as well as other top level programs), we lack the most important when it comes to joining a P5 conference; and that is football. While we can't change our geographic location (I realize a big reason Rutgers got into b1G over us has to do with it being located in a fertile HS football recruiting area), we can show the P5 conferences that UConn can not only win but have a big following in the Metropolitan and Northeast region.
This is where I get upset; people continuing to say that they will only go to games if we win/put a better product on the field - by doing so we are hurting our program (not being in a P5 hurts our recruiting as is but throw in that our stadium is half empty and now imagine how much harder it is to recruit kids to come play football). As a fan and part of the UConn athletic community, we all need to show unwavering support and go to the games. I believe it's a cycle and by selling out every game, over time I believe we will be able to bring in better recruits and start building back to a winning program that can then go to the state (and other conferences) and eventually expand the stadium to 55-60k at which point we will be able to attract better teams to play us and potentially attract a P5 conference to invite us.
I know this may be more suited for the CR board, but as a UConn fan I'm getting tired of ppl complaining about our conference affiliation. Winning alone will not get us an invite (it'll help), we need to show everyone that we have a dedicated and loyal fanbase that can consistently sell out a 50-60k stadium and a fanbase that will travel well. Once us loyal fans do our job (support and attend all the games we can) and we expand the Rent and sell out and start winning games, I believe there is a potential to have a large following throughout the metropolitan and NE regions - at which point either the B1G or ACC will have no choice but to ask us to join (let's face it-outside of Rutgers being located in NJ I don't believe it brings much to the B1G and BC has been irrelevant and brings nothing to the ACC).

Reaction Score
You can get upset all you want but until UConn puts a winning football team on the field attendance will continue to struggle. It was the same for the men's and women's basketball programs and there is no reason to think it will be any different for the football team. There are way too many nearby sports options for Connecticut residents(pro sports) and that dilutes the potential pool. I think one thing the university can do right now to improve it's potential fan base is to make a concerted effort to get UConn football(and other sports) on the radio down in Fairfield County. I know again, that is gonna be a deal where a winner is easier to sell to the radio stations down there but if it was up to me I'd be pushing for it as much as possible.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You are right that it's a cycle... The part you left out is the other side of the coin. The deep, dark places we end up if we keep averaging only 25k... We're in deep .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom