very OT: gmail/google docs question | The Boneyard

very OT: gmail/google docs question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought I'd see if someone would know this ...

I just got an email to my Gmail account that included a Word .doc attachment. The .doc had been edited with Revisions Marks on, so you could see the changes that were made. However, when I did "open" from the Gmail message, it only showed the Final version of the document, not what was added or deleted. In order to see that, I had to download and open with Word.

I was just curious if there was a way to see those revisions directly in Gmail/Google Docs. I looked for a GoogleDocs option akin to "Final Showing Markup", but could not find. I know, I know, they are different programs so there's no reason that they would function the same, but Google Docs already can open the .Word file and read it, so ... Well, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
Vg, I am checking with my extremely tech savvy compsci major sons to see if they know the answer. They are both in class at the moment.

Reaction Score
If the original doc is created and shared first in the Google drive and then others make changes to the shared document, you can see the tracked changes through file --> see revision history. But if it is a word document emailed as an attachment, then you can only see the tracked changes in Microsoft Word. Sorry :(

C

Cath Larson

If you are "viewing" the doc in your gmail on the web, it most likely converted it to a google doc and the revisions won't show. Try downloading the file to your computer and check it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom