very OT. anti spyware | The Boneyard

very OT. anti spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone has a name/link of a good free anti spyware program

Still having an issue with dell. They havd been out twice and say it is a software issue

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I use Microsoft security essentials, and haven't had any issues with viruses or spyware.

Reaction Score
Also, nothing to do with anti-spyware, but another good program to have is CCleaner. Helps a ton with optimizing the performance of your PC and solving registry problems. Highly recommended.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Reaction Score
Thanks guys big time.. i am clueless on this issues. Is there a difference between malware and spyware?

Been using malwarebytes for years. Free version is good, paid is nice so you can automatically schedule.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

If you ever get something really nasty like a severe trojan, I recommend you download Combofix for that day where you can't plug in the internet. It cleans about anything.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've used combos of all mentioned above at various points in time.

I know this will sound like overkill, but lately I've been going with a 1-2 punch... Microsoft Security Essentials running daily, and Malwarebytes running weekly. My parents find a way to have things get through Security Essentials on occasion.

Spybot S&D works pretty well too.

Viruses and Spyware are fairly closely related. Stricly, spyware is more of the type of "track what you do on the internet, throw lots of pop-ups" type stuff. Viruses can do more, like offer up full control of your computer, using it to churn out thousands of spam emails a day, and then infecting other machines. Often times, being infected with spyware will make you more prone to viruses.

I like to use the Firefox browser, but similar extensions exist for Chrome : AdBlockPlus and DoNotTrack. After a thread posted by Temery, I set an exception and allow for ads to be displayed while on the Boneyard.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Buy a Mac and you won't have to worry about spyware
I know someone will chime in and say BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE...

But it's mostly true.

So many less headaches on my 5 year old MacBook than on my parent's Windows machines... with a lot less effort put in to blocking/scanning the nasties. It's a nice peace of mind.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've upgraded my MacBook through the years to 4 gigs of Ram and replaced the slow hd with a fast ssd. Ended up moving the old hd to the DVD slot and taking out the DVD. Runs flash quite well- I was watching UConn vs Western Michigan on ESPN3 just fine with it hooked up to my TV.

You were saying?

Not that you can't do those on a PC, mind you. They are fine options as well. But no need to spread lies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you are using free antispyware, please install a good firewall as well. There are several good free ones. Check here for ratings. I like Comodo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know someone will chime in and say BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE...

But it's mostly true.

So many less headaches on my 5 year old MacBook than on my parent's Windows machines... with a lot less effort put in to blocking/scanning the nasties. It's a nice peace of mind.

But as Mac's market share goes up, this will be less and less true, at least on the malware front. The OS isn't any more secure, it just doesn't have a big enough footprint for hackers to bother with.

Reaction Score
Thanks guys big time.. i am clueless on this issues. Is there a difference between malware and spyware?

Yes, they are different. Malware is software that has been created to mess with your computer and spyware is a type of malware that 'spies' on you and will track your actions, keystrokes, and browsing tendencies. Spyware is the type of malware that you hear about when people get their bank account information stolen.

Of course, you should also get anti-virus software- viruses can infect your computer and destroy it completely.

Here is a great website that will explain to you what you should do to prevent your computer from getting infected. As you can see, the authors believe that the free stuff is the way to go for a lot of these:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

I use:
Avast for anti-spyware
Privatefirewall for firewall
Cccleaner
IoBit Malware fighter for anti-spyware

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was just reading that the new 13" MacBook Pro does not have user-upgradable RAM. Not a good move for an otherwise nice machine. But this is now off topic.

Reaction Score
Previously when I joked that Apple products are limited because they are not readily customizable and not readily upgradable, you responded with:

"I've upgraded my MacBook through the years . . . You were saying? . . . But no need to spread lies."

Now you write:

Was just reading that the new 13" MacBook Pro does not have user-upgradable RAM. Not a good move for an otherwise nice machine. But this is now off topic.

Stop hugging the MacSack.

Of course, now that Jobs is gone and Apple has passed its apogee, the "user can't upgrade" business model is going to be essential to stretch out the length of time Apple can be the top gizmo dog.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Using Nortons now but I used AGV for years.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I have no problem owning up to the fact that I can learn something new. Generally, not worth getting worked up over. Use whatever works for you, Mac, PC, or otherwise.

Reaction Score
Buy a Mac and you won't have to worry about spyware
I made the switch over around a year ago to a mac. I've been mostly happy with it (minor annoyances like flash player crashing frequently and software compatibility). That being said, in my entire life with PCs, I never had any serious virus problems. Little things or spyware but that was it. Within six months of having the Mac, I was hit with the huge spyware that was infecting macs and had my credit card information stolen. Someone made a copy and tried to use it, though I had just maxed it out on a car down payment thank god.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Still having an issue with dell. They havd been out twice and say it is a software issue

If you have Cox for internet by any chance, they offer McAfee for free for multiple computers.

Reaction Score

I use Avast! (free version) and haven't had any problems. Just google it.

Reaction Score
Spend another hour with dell. Ran four different spy/mal/virus scans... about 90% of the time i start the computer it gets almost done starting and it goes to a blue scene and then shuts off. This happens most time in safe mode to... dell thinks i have a flue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom