Very excited for the game. Looking for recommendations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Very excited for the game. Looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you go to Pepe's then Foxon Park Soda (Cream, Root Beer, Orange) is a must.
Conversely if you went to Catsup and Mustard then you will need to try Hosmer Soda. Their root beer is one of the best in the country.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like Bonehead said, why not come to a tailgate? You and yours are welcome to come to ours.

IMO, your best bet for family dining with a local speciality spin is Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, 221 Buckland Hills Manchester, CT. (Not to be confused with Pepe's Pizza on West Middle Tpke)
It's a satellite location of the New Haven legend just 6 miles or so from the Rent.

In any case, you want to park at the Aircraft Club lot, across the street from the stadium. Easy walk. It's at 550 Silver Lane, East Hartford, CT on Google Maps.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, my lord - don't listen to any of these clowns who are trying to send you to New Haven to eat.

They're well-meaning, but simple souls who seem to unaware that the worst traffic in the western hemisphere will have its epicenter at New Haven this Friday.

I think you can hook up with a Boneyarder at a tailgate at the stadium.

They're generally friendly, but I suspect you'll be even more welcome given that they don't expect you to drink quite as much of their beer.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If you really want the full UConn experience, disregard Fishy's advice and await your punch in the throat (and get a good meal in the process).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why do you think I offered them to join my tailgate? More CL Smooths for me from my Frost Boss. (Thanks @DSquiz! ) Perhaps I can convince a BYU fan to drive me home after the game?? Eh? The only bad thing (for you) would be that I will likely try to persuade you into driving me to a wonderful family restaurant called "The Gold Club" after the game (and after plenty of CL Smooths!). :)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If you go to Pepe's then Foxon Park Soda (Cream, Root Beer, Orange) is a must.
Conversely if you went to Catsup and Mustard then you will need to try Hosmer Soda. Their root beer is one of the best in the country.

I get Foxon Park Lemon-Lime soda whenever I'm back in the state if I can. There's just something about that green color. ;)

Reaction Score
Either find a tailgater to hook up with at the game, or head toward Manchester. Tons of eateries around the main shopping areas and only 10-15 minutes away off I-84.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
Bears BBQ in Hartford. 10 minutes from the stadium. Everything is cooked/smoked fresh daily. It's a short drive to Bushnell Park. You can easily pick up lunch at Bear's, bring it to Bushnell Park and enjoy it there, before getting on the highway and driving to the stadium 10 minutes away.

Franklin Giant grinder on Franklin Ave (little Italy) with a stop at Modern Pastry of Mazzicato's for dessert if you want something you can bring with you to eat in the parking lots.

Park on Silver Lane across from the main entrance to the stadium. Look for the $15 lot where the softball fields are. Quickest way out of the stadium after a game by far.

How is bears? Haven't made it over there yet. Love the progress that area is making. Nix's looks great.

Reaction Score
Wow. Thanks guys for the parking and food recommendations (and beer recommendations too:D). That's a lot to choose from. Hey, maybe I'll try out a restaurant and sample the tailgate cuisine too.

pj

Reaction Score
Sandwiches - Rein's Deli in Vernon.

Get some takeout, buy some beer, and bring it to the tailgate.

Reaction Score
Sandwiches - Rein's Deli in Vernon.

Get some takeout, buy some beer, and bring it to the tailgate.
You know What? For giving a tip to an out of stater-BEST POST EVER!

Reactions: pj

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure this is all very confusing with the conflicting advice, so here's some more to make your head spin.

1) No food is worth driving to New Haven before or after the game.
1b) That being said the Pepe's in West Hartford and Manchester are both overpriced, lesser quality version of the original and are worth avoiding

2)For my money the best eating in the greater Hartford area is in West Hartford. It sounds like you want a sit-down meal over a tailgate experience, so if you go to the intersection of South Main Street and Farmington avenue (Called West Hartford Center) you'll be able to walk around several sidewalk seating restaurants and pick the one that best suits you. Within a 5 min walk you can choose from:

Lasalle St:
Briccos- One of the best Italian Restaurants in the state
Max Burger- A Gourmet burger joint (like the plan B others are mentioning)
McLaddens- Irish Pub

Farmington Ave:
Grants - A high end stake house that is probably a bit more pricey than its worth but still good
Ichiro - Hibachi and Sushi
Max's Oyster Bar- High End (but seafood so probably not your bag)
Barcelona - Tapas and Wine
Bar Taco - More Bar'ish ala carte version of Barcelona
Arugala - Small setting Mediterranean
Treva - Up Scale Italian - but if you are going to do italian do Briccos

South Main:
Blue Elephant - Best Thai food in the Area
Besito - High End Authentic Mexican - Great meal! Ends in Warm Churros, guacamole cart
Flemings-Another steak house but have never tried it to be honest

Blue Back Square:
Cheesecake factory- Dont go, but just in case
Rizzutos- Another Italian joint - Go to briccos

For Desert you've got your choice of Sweet Frog (self serve froyo) on south main, Ben & Jerry's (right next door on south main) and Pink Berry in Blue Black Square.

https://www.facebook.com/WestHartfordCenterandTheSquare

http://www.bluebacksquare.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.761425,-72.7431123,19z

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
BYU fans must shake their heads at the beer mentions. You guys are a bunch of heathens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom