Very excited for the game. Looking for recommendations | The Boneyard

Very excited for the game. Looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi Huskies fans,
Looking forward to a great game on Friday. This will be my first time in Connecticut and I'm looking for some recommendations on a place to get a good pre-game meal. Any place with good burgers, sandwiches, bbq, pizza etc would be great. Is there a local specialty I should try out? Open to most anything, though the fam isn't to keen on seafood.

Also, what are the parking options for the game other than at the stadium. TIA.

Cougfan.

Reaction Score
If you are looking for a local specialty for burgers..Shady Glen in Manchester (http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/14/shady-glen) has a cheese burger where the cheese is fried crispy where it hits the griddle. They also have homemade ice cream. For BBQ there is Little Mark's BBQ in Vernon (http://www.littlemarksbbq.com) and Carl's BBQ & Jerk in East Hartford (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/48/520464/restaurant/Hartford/Carls-Barbeque-Jerk-East-Hartford)
All are relatively close driving distance to the stadium. besides the stadium parking you can park at the Aero Club lot located at 555 Silver La in East Hartford

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Hi Huskies fans,
Looking forward to a great game on Friday. This will be my first time in Connecticut and I'm looking for some recommendations on a place to get a good pre-game meal. Any place with good burgers, sandwiches, bbq, pizza etc would be great. Is there a local specialty I should try out? Open to most anything, though the fam isn't to keen on seafood.

Cougfan.

Show up 4 hours before game starts and walk the Blue and Silver lots at stadium - the best pre game meals are found at the tailgate. And if you are outgoing and polite many will offer you their food! Many wont care that you are a BYU fan - actually they will be impressed that you traveled and support your program and will understand that you didnt bring supplies to tailgate yourself.

Overall we are a good bunch. :)

Reaction Score
If you want to try what some call the worlds best pizza...

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=locations

The Manchester location is maybe 10 minutes from the stadium.

I would recommend however, making the ride to New Haven to try it from the original. For whatever reason, it just seems to taste better in New Haven than the other locations (might just be me though).

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If you want to try what some call the worlds best pizza...

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=locations

The Manchester location is maybe 10 minutes from the stadium.

Hartford is fine, food-wise, but it can't hold a candle to New Haven / shore eating. Go to New Haven and get a pizza from Modern/Pepe's/Bar, grab some brews at Ordinary, some more at Prime 16, tapas at Pacifico and dessert at Chocolat Maya. Then head to any town east of East Haven and get seafood. You can thank me later.

Reaction Score
If you are looking for a local specialty for burgers..Shady Glen in Manchester (http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/14/shady-glen) has a cheese burger where the cheese is fried crispy where it hits the griddle. They also have homemade ice cream. For BBQ there is Little Mark's BBQ in Vernon (http://www.littlemarksbbq.com) and Carl's BBQ & Jerk in East Hartford (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/48/520464/restaurant/Hartford/Carls-Barbeque-Jerk-East-Hartford)
All are relatively close driving distance to the stadium. besides the stadium parking you can park at the Aero Club lot located at 555 Silver La in East Hartford

Hi Huskies fans,

Cougfan.

Oh man. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT visit any of the restaurants FDNY99 talked about. Little Marks is the worst BBQ in the state. If you want to be in the bathroom all game go ahead and eat there. Shady Glen was an icon for years but I have no idea why. The burgers are NOT good. Carls Jerk in East Hartford is a decent hole in the wall. Jerk Pork would be the best option from there.

Ok, you want good pizza? - Go to PePe's next to the mall in Manchester. Wooster St. Pizza in Manchester is pretty solid too. Many options for pizza and everyone has an opinion.
Good burgers? - Go to Cory's Catsup and Mustard in Manchester, Teds Montana Grill in South Windsor or Plan B in Glastonbury. Hands down the best around.
Good BBQ? - Taino Smokehouse in Middletown or Bears Smokehouse in Hartford. Period. end of story. Anywhere else will dissapoint.
All of the places I've listed are family freindly and top notch food. Also within 15-20 min to the stadium.

Parking, park at the Aircraft Club across from the stadium. You wont go wrong there and will see plenty of your fans there also.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I would recommend however, making the ride to New Haven to try it from the original. For whatever reason, it just seems to taste better in New Haven than the other locations (might just be me though).

Durks is spot on. Also, as a rule of thumb - if the pizza place doesn't serve Foxon Park, run - it is garbage.

Reaction Score
Depends where you want to go. Downtown Hartford has turned itself into a pretty great food city. Woody's has amazing hot dogs, City Steam is a great brewpub in a hundred year old building, and Black Eyed Sally's is a great southern BBQ restaurant. But yes CT has some of the best Pizza in the world (New Haven Style) so if you can get to a Pepe's it's worth the drive.

Hartford's specialty is more upscale dinning so I'm sure others can give you advise if that's what you are looking for.

Reaction Score

It does, but with the wait times it isn't really worth it most of the time IMHO. At least in Manchester you can usually get right in unless you are at peak time. 3pm on Friday no problem...

Reaction Score
Oh man. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT visit any of the restaurants FDNY99 talked about. Little Marks is the worst BBQ in the state. If you want to be in the bathroom all game go ahead and eat there. Shady Glen was an icon for years but I have no idea why. The burgers are NOT good. Carls Jerk in East Hartford is a decent hole in the wall. Jerk Pork would be the best option from there.

Ok, you want good pizza? - Go to PePe's next to the mall in Manchester. Wooster St. Pizza in Manchester is pretty solid too. Many options for pizza and everyone has an opinion.
Good burgers? - Go to Cory's Catsup and Mustard in Manchester, Teds Montana Grill in South Windsor or Plan B in Glastonbury. Hands down the best around.
Good BBQ? - Taino Smokehouse in Middletown or Bears Smokehouse in Hartford. Period. end of story. Anywhere else will dissapoint.
All of the places I've listed are family freindly and top notch food. Also within 15-20 min to the stadium.

Parking, park at the Aircraft Club across from the stadium. You wont go wrong there and will see plenty of your fans there also.
Shows you how long I have been gone from the area.....

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As you can see us on the Boneyard can never agree...

Do yourself a favor - go to the tailgate and sample many different things!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Taino is my favorite BBQ joint in the state. By far, the best pulled pork sandwich you'll find in CT.

Reaction Score
Shows you how long I have been gone from the area.....
Sorry to call ya out like that. I'm speaking from recent experience though. The ice cream at Shady Glen is good...but paid $9 for a small cup with a little hot fudge and walnuts. haha.

Reaction Score
Sorry to call ya out like that. I'm speaking from recent experience though. The ice cream at Shady Glen is good...but paid $9 for a small cup with a little hot fudge and walnuts. haha.
No problem....

Reaction Score
Hartford is fine, food-wise, but it can't hold a candle to New Haven / shore eating. Go to New Haven and get a pizza from Modern/Pepe's/Bar, grab some brews at Ordinary, some more at Prime 16, tapas at Pacifico and dessert at Chocolat Maya. Then head to any town east of East Haven and get seafood. You can thank me later.

^^You can't really say it any better than that

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wood-n-Tap yet. They have locations all over the state, the closest ones being Vernon, Hartford, and Rocky Hill. All around very solid bar/restaurant, with great beer selection and atmosphere. The food is delicious and high-quality, good serving sizes for the prices too. Can't go wrong with the Wood-n-Tap!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hi Huskies fans,

Cougfan.

First, welcome to CT Cougfan. I hope you have a safe trip on your way here! If you're making a weekend of it and have some time to do a little driving, then I would recommend going to either New Haven (down by the shoreline) or Middletown (about 20 minutes south of Hartford). Both towns have a very wide array of all sorts of cuisine that could appeal to your whole family.

New Haven - Pepe's Pizza is probably the best in the state. The lines get pretty long, especially on the weekend,so I'd recommend going sometime in the mid-afternoon early evening. Sally's is Pepe's archival (the Geno's vs Pat's Philly Cheesesteak battle of New Haven pizzas).

Middletown - Taino Smokehouse is the best BBQ in the state. You will most likely be unimpressed with the location and curb appeal (it's in a strip mall next to an Ace hardware store), but the meats are smoked to perfection. The sides are delicious. Do yourself a favor and order a pulled pork sandwich. Other Middletown treasures: Eli Cannon's (great selection of draft beers and American cuisine), First & Last (pizza, italian, family friendly), and O'Rourkes (small diner, GREAT breakfasts).

It's too bad your family isn't in to seafood. If you get adventurous and adopt a "when in Rome/CT" attitude, take a 30-40 minute drive down to Westbrook, CT and go to Bill's Seafood along Route 1. Best seafood in the state and your kids can feed the ducks and seagulls from your outdoor seating table. There's even an ice cream stand right outside if you guys can still fit it in after your meal! The CT shoreline is right there so you can grab some cones and then head down to the water and overlook Long Island Sound.

On game day, be sure to walk through the blue and red lots. Some chatter you hear out there won't be kid friendly (Friday night games tend to make the brews flow much easier at our stadium), but our fanbase is, for the most part, very friendly and hospitable. If you can't find a single hospitable fan, go to the first blue lot on your left when you enter the Silver Lane entrance (the "Pratt & Whitney entrance"). About 10-15 cars down on the right along the woods you will find me. We are serving pastrami burgers, which I'm told by @huskymedic and others is a Utah staple. I'm bringing enough to feed 8 or so and I think our group is going to be 4-5. I'll be in a blonde mullet decked out in my Husky blue.

Enjoy your trip out east and the game!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Middletown has surprisingly good food. But they only feed you if you make it past roaming hordes of the half dead on Main St. (I am only kind of joking).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't get the like for Woody's in Hartford. The dog is shriveled with no bite/snap to it. Sadly, Rosco's which was nearby had the best dog I've had. His dogs could be eaten as they were. If you've got to dress it up, like at Woody's, it isn't very good. It was a sad day when he closed.
I do agree with Taino's in Middletown. Great BBQ. Pepe's pizza in New Haven is the iconic and preferred version of Pepe's pizza, but to save you from driving all over the state you can hit up the one in Manchester. A slight step down from the original.

Reaction Score
First, welcome to CT Cougfan. I hope you have a safe trip on your way here! If you're making a weekend of it and have some time to do a little driving, then I would recommend going to either New Haven (down by the shoreline) or Middletown (about 20 minutes south of Hartford). Both towns have a very wide array of all sorts of cuisine that could appeal to your whole family.

New Haven - Pepe's Pizza is probably the best in the state. The lines get pretty long, especially on the weekend,so I'd recommend going sometime in the mid-afternoon early evening. Sally's is Pepe's archival (the Geno's vs Pat's Philly Cheesesteak battle of New Haven pizzas).

Middletown - Taino Smokehouse is the best BBQ in the state. You will most likely be unimpressed with the location and curb appeal (it's in a strip mall next to an Ace hardware store), but the meats are smoked to perfection. The sides are delicious. Do yourself a favor and order a pulled pork sandwich. Other Middletown treasures: Eli Cannon's (great selection of draft beers and American cuisine), First & Last (pizza, italian, family friendly), and O'Rourkes (small diner, GREAT breakfasts).

It's too bad your family isn't in to seafood. If you get adventurous and adopt a "when in Rome/CT" attitude, take a 30-40 minute drive down to Westbrook, CT and go to Bill's Seafood along Route 1. Best seafood in the state and your kids can feed the ducks and seagulls from your outdoor seating table. There's even an ice cream stand right outside if you guys can still fit it in after your meal! The CT shoreline is right there so you can grab some cones and then head down to the water and overlook Long Island Sound.

On game day, be sure to walk through the blue and red lots. Some chatter you hear out there won't be kid friendly (Friday night games tend to make the brews flow much easier at our stadium), but our fanbase is, for the most part, very friendly and hospitable. If you can't find a single hospitable fan, go to the first blue lot on your left when you enter the Silver Lane entrance (the "Pratt & Whitney entrance"). About 10-15 cars down on the right along the woods you will find me. We are serving pastrami burgers, which I'm told by @huskymedic and others is a Utah staple. I'm bringing enough to feed 8 or so and I think our group is going to be 4-5. I'll be in a blonde mullet decked out in my Husky blue.

Enjoy your trip out east and the game!

I second the Bill's Seafood recommendation. Also, your family will have options other than seafood.
Here is the menu for you to peruse at your leisure.

Reaction Score
I can't really add anything else. For my wedding next year all of my out of town guests will know about:

Taino
Pepe's Pizza
Corey's Catsup and Mustard
And of course Lenny and Joe's

Reaction Score
Bears BBQ in Hartford. 10 minutes from the stadium. Everything is cooked/smoked fresh daily. It's a short drive to Bushnell Park. You can easily pick up lunch at Bear's, bring it to Bushnell Park and enjoy it there, before getting on the highway and driving to the stadium 10 minutes away.

Franklin Giant grinder on Franklin Ave (little Italy) with a stop at Modern Pastry of Mazzicato's for dessert if you want something you can bring with you to eat in the parking lots.

Park on Silver Lane across from the main entrance to the stadium. Look for the $15 lot where the softball fields are. Quickest way out of the stadium after a game by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom