Vegas & Zion NP? | The Boneyard

Vegas & Zion NP?

Reaction Score
Heading out to Vegas in a few weeks to attend a conference and some professional education. Added an extra day before the event begins to hit Zion National Park for some hiking.

Plan to spend 4 hours in the Narrows (plus 2 going back and forth on the bus). What should I bring? Any alternative hikes of the same duration should the Virgin River be to high for hiking? Can't do Angel's Landing as I am not sure I can tolerate being that exposed on 2 sides (search on You Tube to see what I mean).

In Vegas, a few of us are talking abhout going to a show Thursday night. The groups is diverse and OK with burlesque as it's Vegas; but Ansinthe maybe too much for some while X County looks to be more of a strip-tease than a show. I've heard that Zombie Burlesque is a riot. Suggestions?

Reaction Score
Angel's landing is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There's only about 15 feet where it feels exposed. But the Narrows is an awesome hike and you won't regret it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless it's changed since opening, Absinthe isn't especially racy. Brief bbs was about it.

O is still the definitive Vegas show if you haven't seen it and still best of the Cirques, though with so many big name residency shows, they get lost nowadays.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Last time I was in Zion, I think it was a few weeks after 9/11, it was rutting season. The deer were very temperamental. Like not cute, stare you down, don't take another step closer attitude.

Reaction Score
Unless it's changed since opening, Absinthe isn't especially racy. Brief bbs was about it.

O is still the definitive Vegas show if you haven't seen it and still best of the Cirques, though with so many big name residency shows, they get lost nowadays.

I agree. O is still the most awe inspiring, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Did u get permits for narrows and or angels landing? Believe you need them to do both....just FYI before you plan to go to Zion.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
While we're on the subject. It's been a few years since I've been to Vegas. What's everyone's favorite restaurant for dinner on the strip?

Reaction Score
Did u get permits for narrows and or angels landing? Believe you need them to do both....just FYI before you plan to go to Zion.

Have to buy a regular (car) pass to enter the park, which includes the shuttle bus transport up to the Narrows. Only need a permit for the last part of the Angel's Landing trail and for multiday/camping hikes.

Reaction Score
Have to buy a regular (car) pass to enter the park, which includes the shuttle bus transport up to the Narrows. Only need a permit for the last part of the Angel's Landing trail and for multiday/camping hikes.

Shuttled pass to narrows but don't you still need a permit to actually do it? And the last part of Angel's landing is the lookout. I suppose you can still get views from along the way

Reaction Score
Shuttled pass to narrows but don't you still need a permit to actually do it? And the last part of Angel's landing is the lookout. I suppose you can still get views from along the way

According to Zion NP's website, the parking pass covers everything except for camping, through hikes and Angel's Landing from Scout Lookout up to the end of Angel's Landing trail, i.e. West Rim Trail is 'free' access. The permit for Angel's Landing seems to be a crowd control measure as the foot traffic was getting really bad. While West Rim has a +1,500 elevation change, it's mostly a paved trail.

Reaction Score
Angel's landing is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There's only about 15 feet where it feels exposed. But the Narrows is an awesome hike and you won't regret it.
Angel’s Landing, for me, is a one and done hike. Happy I did it, but won’t try it again.

But overall, Zion is up there with one of my favorite national parks. The mountain goats are insane and it’s just a fun park to drive around. Since you’re gonna be down there, I recommend also checking out the coral sand dunes.

Reaction Score
Angel’s Landing, for me, is a one and done hike. Happy I did it, but won’t try it again.

But overall, Zion is up there with one of my favorite national parks. The mountain goats are insane and it’s just a fun park to drive around. Since you’re gonna be down there, I recommend also checking out the coral sand dunes.

Thanks, the pictures look cool. Unfortunately, I only have one free day (Tuesday) to explore before the conference begins back in Vegas on Wednesday. I'll be lucky to get in 1 decent hike (Narrows to Wall Street/Floating Rock) and a short hike (Overlook) before I have drive back. At least I am flying in late Monday and then driving up to St. George that night. So, I should be bale to get to the park early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom