Vanguard Pre-Game Press | The Boneyard

Vanguard Pre-Game Press

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Batoully ... how to read that? I know how I do, but no point in putting it out there.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know precisely what is wrong with Batouly now?

She is our one big body, and I would think we need her against ND and Baylor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Batoully ... how to read that? I know how I do, but no point in putting it out there.
Had a similar reaction to Geno's Mikayla, Lexi, Molly comment. "No predictable upward arc among the three of them, more like a daily rollercoaster. Is this how it will be in games? We'll see. "
My take: We won't see it (rollercoaster) or then during games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Batouly injury history includes shoulder surgery shortly after her transfer from Kentucky and a Bone Bruise in her right knee last season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You bet we're going to need her against those two. Both teams feature ALL-AMERICAN post players in Kalani Brown and Brianna Turner, both of whom begin the season healthy. Turner said she threw her knee brace in the trash months ago.

This personal interview with Touly is what we've all been waiting for. To get it straight from her mouth how she's doing physically, and whether or not she'll be ready to go 100% when the buzzer sounds to begin the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Geno listed his starting 5 as being no secret, he was so down.. Clearly, he wanted some of the others in practice to step up and at least make it less of a certainty.

Reaction Score
When Geno listed his starting 5 as being no secret, he was so down.. Clearly, he wanted some of the others in practice to step up and at least make it less of a certainty.
The reality is there is a pretty big talent gap on this team. It would not matter how good Lexi, Kyla, Bent, ONO, Coombs, or Batouly looked in practice. They simply are not as good as the five starters. Here is the starting line up:

Crystal Dangerfield - #2 recruit in class of 2016
CW - #1 recruit in class of 2018
KLS - #1 recruit in class of 2015
Megan - #1 recruit in class of 2017
Collier - #6 recruit in class of 2015

For Geno this one was a no-brainer. Also I think this is why some think the team is loaded this year despite losing 3 top 10 WNBA draft picks. With 3 #1 recruits in the starting lineup, we should #DoDamage.

Reaction Score
Had a similar reaction to Geno's Mikayla, Lexi, Molly comment. "No predictable upward arc among the three of them, more like a daily rollercoaster. Is this how it will be in games? We'll see. "
My take: We won't see it (rollercoaster) or then during games.
That's just the normal Geno poking and prodding. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The reality is there is a pretty big talent gap on this team. It would not matter how good Lexi, Kyla, Bent, ONO, Coombs, or Batouly looked in practice. They simply are not as good as the five starters. Here is the starting line up:

For Geno this one was a no-brainer. Also I think this is why some think the team is loaded this year despite losing 3 top 10 WNBA draft picks. With 3 #1 recruits in the starting lineup, we should #DoDamage.

They will win the games they're suppose to win. The question is will they win games they are not necessarily favored to win? i.e., road games with Notre Dame & Baylor, the two biggest and most formidable games on their schedule. :rolleyes: Win or lose, the BY will be abuzz with observations and comments by all with either unbridled praise or serious introspective concerns.

BTW, ONO has got to have the longest eye lashes on the team. :eek:

Reaction Score

Totally agree. It is not so much a focus on where the other players fall short but rather seeing how really good CW is and will be!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

While I get your general point, it should be pointed out that Liv a #5 was a former #1 in her class before missing her junior year with an injury and Mikayla was #13.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

It was a no brainer only because CW probably exceeded early expectations a bit combined with no one else really grabbing it.

Before the first practices, I think everyone was unanimous about MW but there were plenty at the BY who thought at least in the beginning of the season, Batouly or Irwin or Coombs or ONO could have shown enough to crack the starting 5.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think oldude has a valid point here. Geno's 5 starters are very very good. It would be difficult for anyone to crack that line up. I'd say they maybe the most talented starting unit in the country. Whether they play like they are is a different story. Once they gel, I expect to see them do some great things this year. Scoring will not be a problem for this unit. All 5 players can put the ball in the basket.

The biggest unknown right now is how good can/will they be on defense? How many times during a game can they limit their opponent to 1 shot per possession? How many times can they get a stop or a steal (when one is really needed) without yielding any points on the defensive end of the court? Can they limit their opponents to 59 points or less each game?

The question here is can they all stay healthy, and how much support will they receive from the reserves? As talented as they are, they cannot carry the team on their backs all season. The bench MUST step up and support the starters whenever called upon. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. As I've observed several times already this year, THIS team can not afford to cater to any cheerleaders.

Everyone on this team has a role. Each player needs to "buy in", know and accept that role, and fill it to the best of her ability. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To make the game closer on Sunday Lou will be playing for Vanguard.

Please. Lou going behind enemy lines to spread misinformation. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom