Vandy WBB Job Just Came Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vandy WBB Job Just Came Open

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If this is true, this would be the first of any Geno assistants to garner a P5 HC job without having to be a HC elsewhere first. She would also only be the 2nd person to get P5 gig after Marissa earned the Wisconsin job earlier.

From a UConn perspective, I see nothing but upside here. She's a success and when the time comes for the UConn succession, she's a logical replacement, or she struggles and we know we continue looking at Berube, Mosely or someone else not named Rizzotti.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really don’t want to see Shea go to Vanderbilt.

Don’t do it Shea! They’re sellin’ ya a bill of goods!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If this is true, this would be the first of any Geno assistants to garner a P5 HC job without having to be a HC elsewhere first. She would also only be the 2nd person to get P5 gig after Marissa earned the Wisconsin job earlier.

From a UConn perspective, I see nothing but upside here. She's a success and when the time comes for the UConn succession, she's a logical replacement, or she struggles and we know we continue looking at Berube, Mosely or someone else not named Rizzotti.

I was hoping big time that Niele Ivey would've gotten the Vandy HC job a few years ago (when she, along with Courtney Banghart, came in 2nd to the departed Steph White) to get those HC, ahem, growing pains out of the way. (That said, with that year hopefully behind her, it will be upwards and onwards for Niele & the Irish).

Was thinking of what candidates were being considered now that my two faves for the job ended up in Washington and Oklahoma. I thought of Beth Cunningham at Duke, but with only one year in at Durham, I can understand how she's not ready to go (or be considered). So Shea popped up in my mind. I agree with your reasoning (for said reasons).
Stay tuned, right? This will write itself out at some point. :rolleyes: ✍️

Reaction Score
I was hoping big time that Niele Ivey would've gotten the Vandy HC job a few years ago (when she, along with Courtney Banghart, came in 2nd to the departed Steph White) to get those HC, ahem, growing pains out of the way. (That said, with that year hopefully behind her, it will be upwards and onwards for Niele & the Irish).

Was thinking of what candidates were being considered now that my two faves for the job ended up in Washington and Oklahoma. I thought of Beth Cunningham at Duke, but with only one year in at Durham, I can understand how she's not ready to go (or be considered). So Shea popped up in my mind. I agree with your reasoning (for said reasons).
Stay tuned, right? This will write itself out at some point. :rolleyes: ✍️
In a podcast last season or earlier this season, Banghart said that she turned down the Vandy job.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For whatever reason White was a disaster at Vandy and that Tweet from an angry mother clearly shows she and/or her daughter had issues.

Vandy was always one of the best teams in the SEC until the tail end of Balcombs career and then White was a failure. The program has a ways to climb back up to be mediocre but I have a feeling the AD will be even more involved than normal since she's a former member of the program.

Truly Vandy should be better in football and men's and women's basketball. Their academic standards are crazy high and the toughest in the SEC by far. That being said Nashville is a wonderful, thriving city and the university is beautiful. Academics hasn't hurt Stanford in building one of the best programs. I do think it takes a certain personality to build that but it will also take patience.
I think Duke, ND, and Stanford have done a much better marketing job of making their schools the athletic choice for athletes and parents who want a high end education. Vandy generally hasn't gotten beyond great education, mediocrity in sports.

The Cincinnati job that Jamelle got in 2009 was a Big 6 coaching job as the BigEast was equal to the P5 at that time. (2009 tournament both the BE and SEC led with 7 teams selected, and of course the NC game was all BE)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would there be a thought process that Ralph's husband would NOT go to Vanderbilt with her???

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Why would there be a thought process that Ralph's husband would NOT go to Vanderbilt with her???
I'm not sure. He does have a HC position (at UMass Lowell) but that certainly isn't something worth undergoing separation from the family for. Especially with a child.

There have been some isolated incidents of folks not-at-the-same school, I think for a while Mrs. Gary Blair remained at Arkansas while he coached Texas A&M (she was a Professor). I remember a few others, I think. Also, in the "W", Sandy Brondello's husband, Olaf Lange, was working this past season as an assistant for Chicago - although of course they were in the same bubble they were not together.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure. He does have a HC position (at UMass Lowell) but that certainly isn't something worth undergoing separation from the family for. Especially with a child.

There have been some isolated incidents of folks not-at-the-same school, I think for a while Mrs. Gary Blair remained at Arkansas while he coached Texas A&M (she was a Professor). I remember a few others, I think. Also, in the "W", Sandy Brondello's husband, Olaf Lange, was working this past season as an assistant for Chicago - although of course they were in the same bubble they were not together.
Doesn't Joni Taylor's (Georgia) husband work with a NBA team? It seems doable if that's the family's preference.

If the rumours are true, I wish her all the best. I think she deserves a HC opportunity.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Joni Taylor's (Georgia) husband work with a NBA team? It seems doable if that's the family's preference.

If the rumours are true, I wish her all the best. I think she deserves a HC opportunity.
Darius Taylor was an assistant for Dawn Staley at Temple and then at South Carolina through the 2014-15 season. He left the position after he and Joni got married. He’s been an assistant with the Dream since 2017. I believe nepotism laws preclude him from being on the Bulldog staff.

Reaction Score
Darius Taylor was an assistant for Dawn Staley at Temple and then at South Carolina through the 2014-15 season. He left the position after he and Joni got married. He’s been an assistant with the Dream since 2017. I believe nepotism laws preclude him from being on the Bulldog staff.
Okay it's the WNBA. Thanks for clarifying.

Wasn't thinking of him being on the team but the fact that they've been able to make being coaches for different teams work. How they managed the WNBA bubble and the NCAAW bubble was what came to mind.

Reaction Score
Okay it's the WNBA. Thanks for clarifying.

Wasn't thinking of him being on the team but the fact that they've been able to make being coaches for different teams work. How they managed the WNBA bubble and the NCAAW bubble was what came to mind.
Jim Harrick got around that by hiring his son on in the faculty in the PE Dept.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason White was a disaster at Vandy and that Tweet from an angry mother clearly shows she and/or her daughter had issues.

Vandy was always one of the best teams in the SEC until the tail end of Balcombs career and then White was a failure. The program has a ways to climb back up to be mediocre but I have a feeling the AD will be even more involved than normal since she's a former member of the program.

Truly Vandy should be better in football and men's and women's basketball. Their academic standards are crazy high and the toughest in the SEC by far. That being said Nashville is a wonderful, thriving city and the university is beautiful. Academics hasn't hurt Stanford in building one of the best programs. I do think it takes a certain personality to build that but it will also take patience.
Stanford doees not relax their standards, right ?

Reaction Score
A really Meh hire imo
Shea Ralph
I'm not sure what to make of it. It's certainly a "splash" because of her history as a player and her long time UConn tenure (the "oooh, Geno" effect), and she really might turn out to be terrific. But on the flip side - no HC experience, no ties to the region (though her husband used to be an AC at Vandy, I'm not sure that counts?). UConn obviously recruits wherever it wants to, but despite its academic excellence, does Vandy? I'm not really sure. This hire has potential, but I am not jumping up and down for joy if I'm a Vandy fan.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Welcome to the SEC Shea. This may prove interesting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to make of it. It's certainly a "splash" because of her history as a player and her long time UConn tenure (the "oooh, Geno" effect), and she really might turn out to be terrific. But on the flip side - no HC experience, no ties to the region (though her husband used to be an AC at Vandy, I'm not sure that counts?). UConn obviously recruits wherever it wants to, but despite its academic excellence, does Vandy? I'm not really sure. This hire has potential, but I am not jumping up and down for joy if I'm a Vandy fan.
Shea is a southern girl - grew up and played HS in NC (Fayetteville.) Her mom was an AA at UNC.

Reaction Score
Shea is a southern girl - grew up and played HS in NC (Fayetteville.) Her mom was an AA at UNC.
Eh, ok. But that was over 20 yrs ago. Very different world now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom