Vandy has notified the SEC | The Boneyard

Vandy has notified the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
had lunch today with my boss who is a proud(in my face proud daily) alum of vandy. a very good friend of his who they split bud lights with to make sure neither got to drunk is on the bot. he said that last tuesday vandy notified the SEC it was looking at other conferences. the clear answer is the b10 is the only place they would "look".

my question is, could they be #4 with uva/unc/gtech?

Reaction Score
I look forward to hearing Nelson's take on this. It couldn't make any less sense. I have friends in Nashville. Vandy is slightly more popular than URI there. If Nelson think GT makes sense to the B1G what's the opinion going to be on this.

I personally have stopped trying to use any common or business sense when it comes to realignment. What happens will happen, and chances are it'll seem stupid for all parties.

Reaction Score
Wow, it seems this rumor has some legs to it. Vandy cancelled their series with Northwestern for 2013/14, but that was some time ago.

Reaction Score
Well UConn is looking at other conferences too but that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual.

Reaction Score
There would be a wild, drunken celebration in the SEC offices if that happened. They would probably grab FSU, VT and UNC or NC State before the day is over. They could afford to waive their unofficial "no redundant states" rule because they would be trading a redundant, private school in TN for a redundant, large, public school in a much more populous and important state and adding NC and VA. In effect, they would seal the entire south as their territory of dominance for decades.

Reaction Score
had lunch today with my boss who is a proud(in my face proud daily) alum of vandy. a very good friend of his who they split bud lights with to make sure neither got to drunk is on the bot. he said that last tuesday vandy notified the SEC it was looking at other conferences. the clear answer is the b10 is the only place they would "look".

Vandy would probably love SEC to land (two of) UNC/Duke/UVa; Vandy would probably not be enamored of NCState or Florida State getting an SEC invite (were those to occur). For a long time, it was only Vandy and Florida in AAU of SEC -- now joined by A&M and Mizzou.

Vandy would make more money in Big Ten than with SEC. Vandy would give Big Ten a presence in the South. Vandy can leave SEC with zero exit fees. Vandy (already improving) could win more football games in B1G.

99%: Leaving the SEC is "crazy".
1% : Not joining the B1G when offered is "crazy".

Reaction Score
Vandy makes more sense than some of the other schools for the B1G, academic wise, and also gives NW a private school partner.

SEC would probably move swiftly to get UNC/Duke/Vtech if Vandy did jump to B1G.

Dream scenario if this info turns out to be true:

B1G: UVA/Vandy/+ 2 or all 4 of ND/ UConn/BC/Cuse
SEC: Duke/UNC/Vtech/FSU/Clemson
Big XII: NC St/Miami/Gtech/Lville/Pitt/Cinci

Conference USA+BE/ACC letovers

Reaction Score
I don't claim to know anything about realignment. However, I have degrees from three schools and one of them is Duke. Duke I know. The football program at Duke is horrible. It comes nowhere near Northwestern, Stanford, BC (usually), Vandy, TCU, even Wake Forest. The stadium seats under 34,000 and almost never sells out except for UNC. The academics are first rate. How can you propose with a straight face a horrible football program to the SEC and a prime academic program to that same conference. I know the ACC proved themselves less than academically oriented with Louisville but Duke would be subject to terrible a regular a** kicking in the SEC and would end up like Sewanee or Chicago in the old Big 10. The football coach gets one exception player at Duke--no more. Everyone else has to meet the regular academic standards, or at least come pretty close.

Reaction Score
BC is not going to the Big 10. Not happening. Nor is Syracuse. the Big is not taking private schools not named Notre Dame. The Vandy question is interesting, though. I doubt they'd be attractive but it is less problematic than the other private schools. It is a major research university, AAU member, has major graduate programs and a medical school, so it is much more like Northwestern than either BC or Syracuse.

Reaction Score

I don't think Vandy would voluntarily leave the SEC. That said Vandy is a better fit in the ACC or B1G

Reaction Score
Vandy would probably love SEC to land (two of) UNC/Duke/UVa; Vandy would probably not be enamored of NCState or Florida State getting an SEC invite (were those to occur). For a long time, it was only Vandy and Florida in AAU of SEC -- now joined by A&M and Mizzou.

Vandy would make more money in Big Ten than with SEC. Vandy would give Big Ten a presence in the South. Vandy can leave SEC with zero exit fees. Vandy (already improving) could win more football games in B1G.

99%: Leaving the SEC is "crazy".
1% : Not joining the B1G when offered is "crazy".
There is no way Duke is going to the SEC. The SEC has no use for them, they don't need another Vandy. Frankly, the same goes for the B1G as they already have Northwestern. I would call UNC a very longshot for the SEC and UVA as almost off the board for the SEC.

Reaction Score
I think the B1G would consider Duke if and only if it secured them UNC (worth it), and, even then, they're real hopes would be that it would snag them Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I think the B1G would consider Duke if and only if it secured them UNC (worth it), and, even then, they're real hopes would be that it would snag them Notre Dame.
Believe me it's not happening. UNC is a one horse town (basketball) as is Duke.

Reaction Score
I see UNC/Duke as a package deal. There was already something out there saying UNC/Duke had been offered by the SEC (who knows if there is any truth to that it was either MrSEC or GSwaim).

SEC would gladly take Duke to get UNC and it give the SEC a team they know they an get an easy week playing against. It also keeps the UNC/Duke rivalry going and bolsters the basketball side. Duke will always be a cellar dweller in football but they are still and nationwide Brand name

If Duke doesnt want to go to the SEC they will be left out of expansion, unless the B1G, takes them solo (I dont see UNC in the B1G) and I dont think that would happen. SO as Duke you have to concede your academic stance when affiliating yourself with conferences.

With UNC and Duke along with Mizzou, A&M, Florida those are 5 AAU schools (same as ACC now I believe) and I believe Georgia has been getting their academics better also

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I look forward to hearing Nelson's take on this. It couldn't make any less sense. I have friends in Nashville. Vandy is slightly more popular than URI there. If Nelson think GT makes sense to the B1G what's the opinion going to be on this.

I personally have stopped trying to use any common or business sense when it comes to realignment. What happens will happen, and chances are it'll seem stupid for all parties.

I personally have stopped assuming that Nelson uses common sense or business sense when it comes to realignment. He creates a thread advocating for the self-implosion of UConn Football (Women's basketball will save the athletic dept.!!!), and then espouses the merits of UConn to the point where they are 3rd on the Big Ten wish list.

Reaction Score
I assume "boss" means bunk-mate in the rehab center. 1step at a time little buddy, 1 day at a time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well tux yoda had speculated on this about a week ago, i think. His wild ass guess was the B1G might try for Vandy + Florida. Though I really don't see Florida pulling the trigger... who knows.

Reaction Score
Well tux yoda had speculated on this about a week ago, i think. His wild ass guess was the B1G might try for Vandy + Florida.

Well that would certainly drop the SEC's avg SAT score.

From 600 to 400, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104