Vandy falls short of mega upset | The Boneyard

Vandy falls short of mega upset

Reaction Score
Vandy trailed all game often by 10+, but tied it at 46 with 8 seconds. AZ seems to have gotten a buzzer beater to win.

Vandy was down 11-7 at end of first quarter. They didn’t get back within 5 until there were 4 minutes left.

AZ sounding like the VA men’s team — good defense but bad offense. And if their offense is particularly bad, anyone can hang with them.

Vandy did not have great stats — 26 turnovers, 36% shooting, but they did out rebound.

Reaction Score
If my count is right , AZ was 4-11 with 6 TOs in the 4th

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ugh krazy shot for the win
And Pellington is left-handed, to boot.

(This game was shown on ESPN3 and the replay is available if anyone wants to watch it: Vanderbilt vs. #11 Arizona (Game #2) (W Basketball) | Watch ESPN)

This was what I wrote on the weekly preview thread:

Vanderbilt loses a heartbreaker to Arizona. Pellington scored a rather difficult layup with her off-hand as time expired. Vandy played from behind the entire game, clawed their way back with great defense, and missed multiple shots that would've given them a 1-pont lead. Vandy finally managed to tie the game with 7 seconds left but then couldn't get the stop to send it to OT.

Still, pretty amazing they were able to stay with a top-10 team like that. They had Arizona visibly frustrated with their excellent defense. Shea's squad has shown tremendous improvement in just a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shea has Vandy on the up. If White were still the coach, this would be a blow out given the talent Vandy has in comparison to Zona.
Does a loss n me matter if it’s by 2 or 22 loss is a loss

Reaction Score
Holy smokes!! Coach Shea and her Vanderbilt program played one heck of a game! Held Arizona to 10 points that that 4th quarter, 19-10. Props to Coach Shea and her Vanderbilt program. Great game.

Reaction Score
Vandy trailed all game often by 10+, but tied it at 46 with 8 seconds. AZ seems to have gotten a buzzer beater to win.

Vandy was down 11-7 at end of first quarter. They didn’t get back within 5 until there were 4 minutes left.

AZ sounding like the VA men’s team — good defense but bad offense. And if their offense is particularly bad, anyone can hang with them.

Vandy did not have great stats — 26 turnovers, 36% shooting, but they did out rebound.
A great or near great coach uses what she has. Apparently, Shea used her teams rebounding. Also very good team, and this happened to Uconn in the past, are behind until the last of the last quarter then pull up close or win. I'm proud of Shea and Vandy. Thanks Vowel guy--good posting.

Reaction Score
Chinese proverb ( really):
“ A journey of ten thousand steps begins with the first one”.
Coach Shea driving through team bus in the right direction.
Couldn’t be happier for her.

Reaction Score
I saw bits and snatches of VU against TN Tech. Vanderbilt looked like a well-coached defensive team. Holding a top 10 team to less than 50 seems like a good performance to me, win or lose.
It's a confidence building going into December, and then into conference schedule.... Knowing that you are almost there....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I watched the VU/DePaul game today. VU started out gangbusters and was up 17 at one point in the first quarter. It was kind of deja-vuish though because as the game wore on, Vandy wore out. The much more experienced DePaul squad hung around, Bruno made some adjustments, and DePaul won going away. VU does have three pretty good freshman and two 4-star recruits coming in next year, including a 6'4" player. It'd be great if Shea could pick up a grad transfer with some size for next year.

Meantime, Bruno's got a stud freshman, Aneesah Morrow. Aneesah is listed at 6'1" but plays bigger. She and Sonya Morris combined for 64. Morris dropped a career-high 36. Put on a shooting clinic. I boldly predict that DePaul will return to the big dance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom