Vanderbilt | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
I still like how Vandy is playing and see the future as bright. What I find interesting is on VolNation, that crowd, which I no longer consider WCBB savy, is saying Shea should be fired at the end of this year, which is ludicrous. Steph White was 13-55 in 6 years of SEC play with a "high of 4-12" which Shea accomplished last year. She also has #63 Ranked 6'2" Forward coming next year and hopefully all the injured players back. Shea will persevere and Vandy will be much, much better for it, if not this year, then the next few years.
The good news is, I'm not hearing any of that kind of negative talk around the program. And, that's unusual. Vandy sports fans have had little to cheer about when it comes to basketball and football for years. But, anyone who knows even a little bit about basketball knows most teams can't lose three starters before the season starts and expect good results. It's remarkable to me that the team has won as many as it has. You take that group and go to New York and beat Columbia? Shouldn't happen, but it did.

Even if the three starters weren't lost and the team was intact, the highest expectation would have been somewhere near the middle of the conference pack. An eighth-place finish would have been cause for celebration.

The university chancellor and Athletic Director Candice Storey Lee adore Shea Ralph. Lee, a former Vandy player, and Ralph are, in many ways, two peas in a pod. She has mentioned more than once that it will take time, but she has full confidence that Shea will bring the program back. Shea has said Lee told her when she took the job that she will have anything she needs to rebuild.

Reaction Score
Shea also lost 3 players, 2 of them starters, to season ending injuries
Actually, all three were starters. Two starting guards and 5'10 post player Kaylon Smith. She had missed a season due to injury, played and started for Shea in her first year as coach, then suffered another season-ending injury this pre-season. She's graduating and has announced she'll be leaving after this year.

Reaction Score
Actually, all three were starters. Two starting guards and 5'10 post player Kaylon Smith. She had missed a season due to injury, played and started for Shea in her first year as coach, then suffered another season-ending injury this pre-season. She's graduating and has announced she'll be leaving after this year.

My fault…. I knew it was 3

Reaction Score
A tip of the hat to grad transfer Marnelle Garraud, who put on quite a show in last night's 84-81 loss at Arkansas. Garraud, who came to Vandy from Boston College, hit four 3-pointers in the final 75 seconds of the contest, including one to tie the game with about five seconds left. Arkansas then hit a last-second three-pointer from half a mile away to win it.

Garraud had 31 points including seven three-pointers. She leads the SEC in made three-pointers with 54. She and fellow grad transfer Ciaja Harbison have kept Vandy's program afloat in an injury riddled season that saw three starters go down for the year in pre-season.

Heck of a game last night. Both teams scored 34 points in the fourth quarter. Shea Ralph was fired up about the improvement her team is showing and said after the game she was ready to go practice right then. Unfortunately, South Carolina comes to town Thursday night. Ouch.

Reaction Score
One other stat I just discovered about Garraud: She scored 20 points in the last 4:30 of the game. Just a remarkable performance.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson has started work as Vandy's director of player development. She will expand her duties and become an assistant coach in July when the new NCAA rule allowing basketball teams to add two assistants goes into effect. Katie Lou will actually be playing with the Los Angeles Sparks at that time but will assume coaching duties when she returns to Nashville in the fall.

Reaction Score
Vandy picked up its first SEC win today, 88-79, over visiting Texas A&M behind a magnificent performance from grad transfer Ciaja Harbison. She tied the program record with 41 points and did it on 15 of 19 shooting. Chantelle Anderson, in my book the program GOAT, had the record. She was on hand to watch Harbison tie it as part of Alumni Weekend.

Just a great day for coach Ralph and her kids who have been been dealt a tough hand this season. They were down to six players the final four minutes, all of them guards. Luckily, one of those was Harbison.

https://twitter.com/ashleyearley/status/1619806673375490048?s=20&t=zhDfb87aT2_WpiazeXQBcw

Reaction Score
Ciaja Harbison receives SEC Player of the Week honor after her 41-point performance against Texas A&M Sunday. It's the second time she has won the award this season.

Reaction Score
Good win for Vandy and coach Ralph tonight, 78-70 over visiting Arkansas. Vandy only played seven, and the three guards, Ciaja Harbison, Marnelle Garraud and Bella LaChance, each played 40 minutes. Vandy's only 6'2 player, Sacha Washington, had three fouls in the first quarter, but somehow they managed to hang on and lead almost the entire game.

Coach Ralph pushed all the right buttons switching between straight man-to-man, straight zone (to protect Washington) and a soft half-court trap. Arkansas had a tough time getting any rhythm on offense.

This really hurts Arkansas' tournament status. Vandy came in with a NET of 110 while the Razorbacks were at 34. Losing this one was not a good look for them.

Vandy's reward is a trip to Tennessee followed by a trip to Alabama.

Reaction Score
Good win for Vandy and coach Ralph tonight, 78-70 over visiting Arkansas. Vandy only played seven, and the three guards, Ciaja Harbison, Marnelle Garraud and Bella LaChance, each played 40 minutes. Vandy's only 6'2 player, Sacha Washington, had three fouls in the first quarter, but somehow they managed to hang on and lead almost the entire game.

Coach Ralph pushed all the right buttons switching between straight man-to-man, straight zone (to protect Washington) and a soft half-court trap. Arkansas had a tough time getting any rhythm on offense.

This really hurts Arkansas' tournament status. Vandy came in with a NET of 110 while the Razorbacks were at 34. Losing this one was not a good look for them.

Vandy's reward is a trip to Tennessee followed by a trip to Alabama.
Great win indeed. Coach Ralph is doing a great job at Vandy. This game was a testament to what she is doing at Vandy. Like you said, Coach was pushing all the right buttons. Not many teams can change up their defenses each quarter without some confusion with the players. Coach Ralph, it seemed, had Vandy changing up the defense every possession. That threw Arkansas off the whole game. Coach Neighbors said it best in the presser, Vandy just out played Arkansas.

A lot with Arkansas chances in the Big tournament depends on what happens the rest of the season in the SEC regular season and SEC tournament. They control their destiny.

Reaction Score
Great win indeed. Coach Ralph is doing a great job at Vandy. This game was a testament to what she is doing at Vandy. Like you said, Coach was pushing all the right buttons. Not many teams can change up their defenses each quarter without some confusion with the players. Coach Ralph, it seemed, had Vandy changing up the defense every possession. That threw Arkansas off the whole game. Coach Neighbors said it best in the presser, Vandy just out played Arkansas.

A lot with Arkansas chances in the Big tournament depends on what happens the rest of the season in the SEC regular season and SEC tournament. They control their destiny.
After Arkansas beat Vandy on a last-second shot a few weeks ago, coach Neighbors admitted they spent the entire week preparing for Vandy to play a zone defense since they had done that a couple games to try to stay out of foul trouble with a short bench. Coach Ralph pulled the old switcheroo and played man to man every possession.

He said tonight he is going to have to change some of the core strategies he has been employing because they are not working well with this team. He has lost a couple of great three-point shooters to graduation the last couple years, so I wonder if he's going to depend less on three-pointers going forward. Will be interesting to watch.

I think they definitely have to win at home against Missouri Sunday to keep their NCAA hopes alive.

Reaction Score
After Arkansas beat Vandy on a last-second shot a few weeks ago, coach Neighbors admitted they spent the entire week preparing for Vandy to play a zone defense since they had done that a couple games to try to stay out of foul trouble with a short bench. Coach Ralph pulled the old switcheroo and played man to man every possession.

He said tonight he is going to have to change some of the core strategies he has been employing because they are not working well with this team. He has lost a couple of great three-point shooters to graduation the last couple years, so I wonder if he's going to depend less on three-pointers going forward. Will be interesting to watch.

I think they definitely have to win at home against Missouri Sunday to keep their NCAA hopes alive.
LOL!! Gotta love, Coach Ralph. Yeah, I watched Coach Neighbors post-game video. He sounded pretty confused about his philosophy and style of play. Talked a lot about confidence and the loss of confidence, so yeah it is going to be interesting to see what develops over the next few weeks going forward.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Vandy keeping it close, tied 38-38 at halftime vs TN

Reaction Score
Coach Ralph's postgame press conference after Sunday's loss at Tennessee. It was 38-38 at the half, but Vandy looked like the walking dead in the second half. The Vols just hammered us and won by 28. Coach has learned to keep things in perspective, and at the end she is asked about the fact that she and Kellie Harper have four-year-old daughters who have apparently become great friends and got together to practice their cheerleading routines on the floor pregame. Folks in attendance at the press conference were actually clapping at the end which, rightfully, is not the usual reception a Vandy coach gets in Knoxville.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Coach Ralph's postgame press conference after Sunday's loss at Tennessee. It was 38-38 at the half, but Vandy looked like the walking dead in the second half. The Vols just hammered us and won by 28. Coach has learned to keep things in perspective, and at the end she is asked about the fact that she and Kellie Harper have four-year-old daughters who have apparently become great friends and got together to practice their cheerleading routines on the floor pregame. Folks in attendance at the press conference were actually clapping at the end which, rightfully, is not the usual reception a Vandy coach gets in Knoxville.

Obviously, with the early season injuries, it has been it a challenging season for the Lady Commodores. I listened to that presser and thought about how far Shea has come as a head coach. She’s knowledgeable and very comfortable in her own skin. How does your Fanbase feel about her? Is she getting any heat given the in conference record this year?

Reaction Score
Obviously, with the early season injuries, it has been it a challenging season for the Lady Commodores. I listened to that presser and thought about how far Shea has come as a head coach. She’s knowledgeable and very comfortable in her own skin. How does your Fanbase feel about her? Is she getting any heat given the in conference record this year?
No heat whatsoever. I have to be completely honest and say there are not a lot of people who care about the women's program (and to a lesser extent the men's program) these days, but those who do care seem mostly united that Shea is the best answer.

I'm about as ardent a fan of the program as you will find, and I, too, am convinced she can pull this off. My one lingering question is how she will recruit to Vanderbilt, which is a unique challenge. I know she was an excellent recruiter at UConn, but Vandy is a whole different beast. I saw us on some finalist lists for several elite players, but we didn't get any of those. That's not too concerning, since I suspect some of that was just Shea getting some UConn rub. I doubt most of those were truly serious about Vandy (think Ashlynn Shade and Cierra Toomey as examples).

When I look at the incoming class, I alternate between optimism and worry. I think 6'2 Agata Makurat could be the hidden gem in the five-player class. Great shooter and passer. I saw one of the better-known international recruiting services that had her listed at #15 among European recruits of different ages. Also, 6'2 Khamil Pierre out of Arizona (ESPN #63) is a terrific athlete who is having a great senior season. The one who could push the class over the top is 6'4 Aiyanna Mitchell out of Colorado. You'll notice all my attention is on players 6'2 and above. We're desperate for front court help, which Pierre and Mitchell could provide. Makurat is likely a wing.

So, there's my longwinded answer to your simple question. The short answer is, no she is not getting any heat. (The lesson to you is be careful asking me a question about Shea and Vandy women's basketball. I'm desperate for a chance to discuss the team, and you're liable to get a dissertation when all you wanted was a direct answer).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No heat whatsoever. I have to be completely honest and say there are not a lot of people who care about the women's program (and to a lesser extent the men's program) these days, but those who do care seem mostly united that Shea is the best answer.

I'm about as ardent a fan of the program as you will find, and I, too, am convinced she can pull this off. My one lingering question is how she will recruit to Vanderbilt, which is a unique challenge. I know she was an excellent recruiter at UConn, but Vandy is a whole different beast. I saw us on some finalist lists for several elite players, but we didn't get any of those. That's not too concerning, since I suspect some of that was just Shea getting some UConn rub. I doubt most of those were truly serious about Vandy (think Ashlynn Shade and Cierra Toomey as examples).

When I look at the incoming class, I alternate between optimism and worry. I think 6'2 Agata Makurat could be the hidden gem in the five-player class. Great shooter and passer. I saw one of the better-known international recruiting services that had her listed at #15 among European recruits of different ages. Also, 6'2 Khamil out of Arizona is a terrific athlete who is having a great senior season. The one who could push the class over the top is 6'4 Aiyanna Mitchell out of Colorado. You'll notice all my attention is on players 6'2 and above. We're desperate for front court help, which Pierre and Mitchell could provide. Makurat is likely a wing.

So, there's my longwinded answer to your simple question. The short answer is, no she is not getting any heat. (The lesson to you is be careful asking me a question about Shea and Vandy women's basketball. I'm desperate for a chance to discuss the team, and you're liable to get a dissertation when all you wanted was a direct answer).

Nah........... I'm sure @CL82 didn't mind the answer. I enjoyed reading what you wrote. Hopefully more people will join the discussions.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

When I look at the incoming class, I alternate between optimism and worry. I think 6'2 Agata Makurat could be the hidden gem in the five-player class. Great shooter and passer. I saw one of the better-known international recruiting services that had her listed at #15 among European recruits of different ages. Also, 6'2 Khamil out of Arizona is a terrific athlete who is having a great senior season. The one who could push the class over the top is 6'4 Aiyanna Mitchell out of Colorado. You'll notice all my attention is on players 6'2 and above. We're desperate for front court help, which Pierre and Mitchell could provide. Makurat is likely a wing.

Lol, the length of the answer was not a problem at all! Thanks for taking the time to let me know your sense of her circumstances. Once you are around the Boneyard for any period of time, you realize that there is a sense of “once a Husky always a Husky” and that certainly applies to Shea Ralph. It’s good to hear that she is appreciated.

Regarding recruiting, being in the discussion for top players is the first step toward getting top players. Your program was a bit star-crossed this year, as was ours. I am looking forward to see what Shea can do with a healthy team. I suspect that she will make a jump to the middle of the conference, which in turn will lead to better recruiting.

Many people here saw, and still do see, Shea, as a potential successor for Geno and Chris down the road. Personally, I see Vanderbilt as an excellent opportunity for her. I am glad that fans there realize the enormity of the job and are giving her time to build the program.

Reaction Score
Speaking of recruiting, I just discovered this offer tonight. McKenna Woliczko is a 6’2 freshman from California, a teammate of Morgan Cheli. Very rare for Vandy to offer a freshman.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I've only started following Vandy since Shea became the head coach. From a recruiting perspective, is it an academic thing? Location?

Reaction Score
I've only started following Vandy since Shea became the head coach. From a recruiting perspective, is it an academic thing? Location?
Admission standards are very tough. Only a tiny percentage of applicants are admitted, and that is among a pool of students who are academically strong or they wouldn't be applying to Vandy in the first place.

I think, and Shea is insistent about this, that the city itself can be a big draw. Nashville is a booming city and is a great place for young folks.

In terms of athletics, there has been an unprecedented focus on improving facilities the past couple of years. The greatest thing that ever happened to a Vandy sports fan was the hiring of Chancellor Daniel Diermeier, who is a great believer that athletics are an important and worthwhile endeavor for a university. He says athletics should reflect the greatness of the university, which is world class.

Among other things, there was a ground-breaking ceremony a couple weeks ago to build a new, four-story athletics building that will include the largest practice facility in the nation. Along with practice courts on the first and third floor, there will be coach and staff offices, weight room, a state-of-the-art training facility and dining facilities. It's going to be a true thing of beauty, and Shea has noted she'll be able to highlight that as an indication to recruits of how serious she and the university are about building a championship program.

So, there are good things in the works. Shea is relentless in her focus on culture and building the program the right way. She talks about it constantly. To me, that says it's going to take a while. After years of watching a once-proud program slowly crumble and fall by the wayside as other SEC programs blew by, I'd like to see a fast rebuild. I know, though, it can't be that way.

It's frustrating that so much progress was made in Shea's first season, then she loses three starters to injury in pre-season before year two. Also, leading scorer Brinae Alexander transferred to Maryland for her grad-Covid year, so, in reality, Shea lost four starters before the season even started. That's tough to overcome, and this season on the court has been a mixed bag at best. Still, if she can somehow coax a win at home against Kentucky and on the road at Auburn in the next two weeks, the team would have the same conference record as last year.

The fact that is even a remote possibility at this point is testament to what a great job the staff has done and to the character of these players. They're surely limited when it comes to talent, but they reflect their coach's passion and drive.

I'm proud of this team, but there's also this: They travel to Alabama tonight, and I dread it. I'll be glad when the team is good enough that I don't have to dread these games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom