OT: - Vanderbilt @ Miss. State 2-24-2019 | The Boneyard

OT: Vanderbilt @ Miss. State 2-24-2019

Reaction Score
Watched the game today and was very impressed with Vanderbilt's center Mariella Fasoula. She has an unorthodox way of scoring in the pivot. I think she scored 29 while facing 6'7" Tierra McCowan. She mostly uses a "Scoop shot" type of shot. Pretty interesting to watch. She's a Jr. so I look forward to watching her play next year.

Miss. State used a full court press most of the game. Vandy stayed with them in the first quarter but the press resulted in a lot of turnovers after that and Miss. St. pulled ahead.

UCONN may have their hands full with the McCowan-Howard combo. I think Espinoza-Hunter made the right move by transferring. She's playing a big part in Miss. State's progress right now but would've probably been sitting on the bench if she stayed at UCONN.

Reaction Score
She’s from Athens, Greece and a transfer from BC. She was 13 of 16 yesterday and picked up a lot of and-1’s in the process. She was very impressive.

MSU didn’t play very well yesterday. AEH held them together early. McCowan and Howard finished the job.

Right now, UConn, Baylor, etc. should not fear having MSU in their bracket.

Reaction Score
Would enjoy seeing UCONN and Miss State playing in the same region, as I believe that such a Elite 8 game would provide very interesting match up challenges for both teams, as well as some interesting back stories.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She’s from Athens, Greece and a transfer from BC. She was 13 of 16 yesterday and picked up a lot of and-1’s in the process. She was very impressive.

MSU didn’t play very well yesterday. AEH held them together early. McCowan and Howard finished the job.

This is humble of you to say, but I don't agree that no team should fear MSU. Vic and his team have proven over the last couple years that, as with Muffet and Tara, you take his team lightly at your own peril.

Just because their play has been spotty doesn't mean they're not a dangerous team.

Reaction Score
Let's look at this potential match up at a 50,000 foot level. Collier certainly and clearly has the advantage at the 4 spot for UCONN. McCowan has the advantage at the 5, to which UCONN has no answer for this season. Crystal Dangerfield has the slight edge at the point. Currently I think that Howard and KLS is a wash, as is AEH and Walker. The bench advantage goes to Mississippi State. Thus how close this game could very well be.

Reaction Score
AEH & Walker is not a wash. But I agree this game would be an interesting matchup

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Watched the game today and was very impressed with Vanderbilt's center Mariella Fasoula. She has an unorthodox way of scoring in the pivot. I think she scored 29 while facing 6'7" Tierra McCowan. She mostly uses a "Scoop shot" type of shot. Pretty interesting to watch. She's a Jr. so I look forward to watching her play next year.

Miss. State used a full court press most of the game. Vandy stayed with them in the first quarter but the press resulted in a lot of turnovers after that and Miss. St. pulled ahead.

UCONN may have their hands full with the McCowan-Howard combo. I think Espinoza-Hunter made the right move by transferring. She's playing a big part in Miss. State's progress right now but would've probably been sitting on the bench if she stayed at UCONN.
Not sure why people are still so interested in AEH, but they have a right to be, I guess. But as far as her making the right decision , I believe it was not really her decision alone. I am certain Geno made that decision for her. I hope she does well there, but I do not miss any player who cannot meet the coaches expectations as a team mate. Whatever her transgressions, it is clear that they were her transgressions.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened with AEH, she is a model citizen now. She had her 3rd twenty point game yesterday, and she is shooting 44% from the 3 as a starter. She and Geno have moved on, but I get the feeling that they will meet at some point in an important game. The media will love it.

Reaction Score

AEH will be a key for MSST in the tournament, she appears to have regained confidence in her outside shot and MSST is running plays for her to get open but I am more impressed with the improvement in her defense. As for McCowan Howard they still have not totally gelled yet, they still have not played a game where they both were on but certainly getting there. I expect a exciting tournament for MSST!

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Would enjoy seeing UCONN and Miss State playing in the same region, as I believe that such a Elite 8 game would provide very interesting match up challenges for both teams, as well as some interesting back stories.

I kind of think the committee might want to create this matchup. MSU can probably avoid it if they win out through the SEC tourney, but I have a feeling they are going to end up matched with UConn in Albany or Oregon in Portland.

I'm rooting for Louisville in Chicago.

I also will not be surprised if 1 or 2 of the top 6 don't make a Regional Final. Not sure I would have said that 3 weeks ago.

Reaction Score

McCowan should be a high concern for any team they play. She doesn't have a lot of moves in the pivot but she's so big that even when she misses a close shot she has a good chance of following her own shot. Howard always has impressed me with her hustle and rebounding.

Looks to me like the team is starting to jell with Espinoza-Hunter becoming an integral part of the team.

Reaction Score
MSU's perimeter defense has been awful these last few games and the team has won by out scoring the opposition, not by playing the smartest basketball. Vandy and Ole Miss have struggled to win games and they seemingly had no problems on offense against us. Missouri beat us at home by shooting lights out.

AEH has been able to score but no one will mistake her for a defensive stopper. They miss Bibby. I agree that Howard and McCowan have had few games where they were both highly effective. Howard is terrific yet needs space to move, drive, make cuts and McCowan takes up a lot of it. I'm glad we have Howard this year and wouldn't be in this position without her but I hope we can get both working more together.

I think we are the 6th best team in the country yet the five ahead of us are better. It doesn't help that we've seen all five the last few years and are 3-2 agains them with a razor thin loss being one of those.

Reaction Score

How a thread about Vanderbilt @ Miss St has taken the turn to UConn (only), I can only guess it was to bring up AEH again.

Reaction Score
How a thread about Vanderbilt @ Miss St has taken the turn to UConn (only), I can only guess it was to bring up AEH again.

Maybe because AEH plays now Mississippi State (and she once was a member of the UCONN Women's Basketball Team). Thus the connection? --- : )

Reaction Score
I kind of think the committee might want to create this matchup. MSU can probably avoid it if they win out through the SEC tourney, but I have a feeling they are going to end up matched with UConn in Albany or Oregon in Portland.

I'm rooting for Louisville in Chicago.

I also will not be surprised if 1 or 2 of the top 6 don't make a Regional Final. Not sure I would have said that 3 weeks ago.
MSU's perimeter defense has been awful these last few games and the team has won by out scoring the opposition, not by playing the smartest basketball. Vandy and Ole Miss have struggled to win games and they seemingly had no problems on offense against us. Missouri beat us at home by shooting lights out.

AEH has been able to score but no one will mistake her for a defensive stopper. They miss Bibby. I agree that Howard and McCowan have had few games where they were both highly effective. Howard is terrific yet needs space to move, drive, make cuts and McCowan takes up a lot of it. I'm glad we have Howard this year and wouldn't be in this position without her but I hope we can get both working more together.

I think we are the 6th best team in the country yet the five ahead of us are better. It doesn't help that we've seen all five the last few years and are 3-2 agains them with a razor thin loss being one of those.
Thanks the info

Reaction Score

Bibby brought physically, defense, outside shooting, and team chemistry that we definitely miss. As far the top six team, I do not see a big difference in quality of players but I do think UConn is the top of the heap because of team chemistry, when they play as a unit they are close to unbeatable.

Reaction Score
Maybe because AEH plays now Mississippi State (and she once was a member of the UCONN Women's Basketball Team). Thus the connection? --- : )

You got to the "connection" from the OP post?. The OP hijacked his/her own thread by adding the last paragraph...go back and re-read again. Then again why does UConn have their hands full with Miss St...are they on schedule?

Reaction Score
Let's look at this potential match up at a 50,000 foot level. Collier certainly and clearly has the advantage at the 4 spot for UCONN. McCowan has the advantage at the 5, to which UCONN has no answer for this season. Crystal Dangerfield has the slight edge at the point. Currently I think that Howard and KLS is a wash, as is AEH and Walker. The bench advantage goes to Mississippi State. Thus how close this game could very well be.
Disagree

Phee and Lou both beat McCowan down the floor on both ends. Walker is better than Howard. Lou is better than Howard.

Williams is better than AEH. Williams is displaying tons more discipline than AEH and that is a difference maker. That is a difference between Geno/CD and Vic.

Miss State does not have the inside ball movement to the degree that say Baylor has. I think both Phee and Walker are quicker than McCowan to the ball too.

In short, I don’t think McCowan is enough to beat UConn.

To me Danberry is a difference maker, I think she’s underrated as much as I think Howard is over rated.

I think UConn wins this matchup without a scare.

All IMHO of course

Reaction Score
Disagree

Phee and Lou both beat McCowan down the floor on both ends. Walker is better than Howard. Lou is better than Howard.

Williams is better than AEH. Williams is displaying tons more discipline than AEH and that is a difference maker. That is a difference between Geno/CD and Vic.

Miss State does not have the inside ball movement to the degree that say Baylor has. I think both Phee and Walker are quicker than McCowan to the ball too.

In short, I don’t think McCowan is enough to beat UConn.

To me Danberry is a difference maker, I think she’s underrated as much as I think Howard is over rated.

I think UConn wins this matchup without a scare.

All IMHO of course
IMHO, if MSST were to win it would be because of superior depth. MSST will press the entire game and be very physical inside, I think it would be a great game!

Reaction Score
It would be a great game - but one of the basic tenets of UConn defense is "Phee shall not be induced into taking a foul- ever !" - so I don't see a knock down drag out battle under the boards developing as part of any strategy, other than the normal, and I think Pee can score on her too - so neither side is going to want to risk early fouls.

I think both teams are coached well enough to break a press. Crystal's not getting caught on any sideline either. Plus UConn has the option of using Lou and her height to handle the ball too.

On the other hand, the depth thing - I think ONO could be an and1 machine to MSU ---but I'd like to see what Mikayla could do on D --- she is looking to be a giant pain in the ass to an offense

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom