Vance Jackson | The Boneyard

Vance Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was the bright spot of Monday night in a sea of darkness (Adams was good too). Hopefully we see more of him going forward. He can shoot and he boxes out, and that outweighs his athleticism deficiency which hurts on defense.

This team also misses Diarra even for his probable 10 minutes per game. UConn could use his rebounding tenacity at times where offensive boards are piling up.

This team is super young and clearly immeasurably frustrating. But there's plenty of hope in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think there's hope too... KO and staff just have to figure out the offensive structure/system. This isn't the group to just let improvise. They need some structure.

Reaction Score
Enoch has to stop running to the foul line when the ball is shot.
Purvis has to stop watching his shot and follow it to the rim.
Gilbert needs put a body on his man instead of drifting
The list goes on and on.

They don't rebound because they play like they ever instructed them on rebounding.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes I would like to see what Diarra can do regarding rebounding as I assume he knows how to box out and hopefully he is able to take the court soon. CV is also needed to be on the court for his toughness/defense and ability to hit from the perimeter.

They need to focus on defense first. If they were able to protect the perimeter and boxed out better for defensive rebounds, they would have had more opportunities for run outs. I would think UConn would be 2-0 at this time.

Offense is a different topic,.....

Reaction Score
Current defensive rebounding leaders:

Jackson - 17.3%
Brimah - 14.6%
Larrier - 13.9%
Gilbert - 12.2%
-----------------------------
Facey - 4.5%
Enoch - 0 in 11 minutes

Devin Davis - 6'7 F on Houston - 36.6%
Rakim Lubin - 32.8%

None of our players are top 500 in the country in DReb%.

Facey needs to wake up. You're a senior and this is pretty much what is going to give you playing time. There is no reason or incentive to play him over Jackson/Durham/Diarra if he isn't going to grab rebounds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Enoch has to stop running to the foul line when the ball is shot.
Purvis has to stop watching his shot and follow it to the rim.
Gilbert needs put a body on his man instead of drifting
The list goes on and on.

They don't rebound because they play like they ever instructed them on rebounding.
Thinking that KO starts to play some zone. We've been holding teams to a low shooting % but have been losing the rebounding and 3 pt wars because our guys are out of position.
Playing some zone would hopefully put our bigs in a better position to box out and rebound..

Reaction Score
We have 1 NBA future pro on our roster and that'sgoing to be Vance. He has the size, frame, sturdiness, rebounding and shooting and defense will come. Jalen and Gilbert at their size are not even long range shooters which they would certainly have to be. Vance has to play 30 min a game to get his beak wet and learn the college game. It wiill be of benefit next yea, same with Enoch, good or bad. What the heck are we going to learn fron Facey and Brimah?

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure how good Vital and Jackson would be before the season. Now I'm very hopeful for both of them. Vance should start again tomorrow along with Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, and Diarra is he's ready. I know it might sound a little crazy to start Mamadou in his first real college game but I know for a fact that he will fight for rebounds like nobody else on the team will.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Not that I think it would help, but just for the hell of it I'd like seeing all 5 freshmen start one game this year.

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure how good Vital and Jackson would be before the season. Now I'm very hopeful for both of them. Vance should start again tomorrow along with Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, and Diarra is he's ready. I know it might sound a little crazy to start Mamadou in his first real college game but I know for a fact that he will fight for rebounds like nobody else on the team will.
Jackson and Gilbert are both starting, Facey and Purvis to the bench.

Reaction Score
We have 1 NBA future pro on our roster and that'sgoing to be Vance. He has the size, frame, sturdiness, rebounding and shooting and defense will come. Jalen and Gilbert at their size are not even long range shooters which they would certainly have to be. Vance has to play 30 min a game to get his beak wet and learn the college game. It wiill be of benefit next yea, same with Enoch, good or bad. What the heck are we going to learn fron Facey and Brimah?

If you rewind to where Kemba and Napier were before their junior years, you could have said the same thing about them. IMO, this is an impossible projection. Larrier and Adams have promise, but nothing is guaranteed.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Vance couldn't guard anyone in the NBA.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Terry Larrier.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Jalen and Larrier should play in the league with normal improvements. We are only two games in but Durham with his skillset and height will certainly have a chance down the road if he develops. Don't let our piss poor performances lead you to believe we don't have talent, we have a lot of talent.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised we didn't see more of Vance against LMU. He had that air ball miss from 3, but I thought he would have gotten a few more minutes against the zone. Plus, it was his home-coming game.

Reaction Score
Thinking that KO starts to play some zone. We've been holding teams to a low shooting % but have been losing the rebounding and 3 pt wars because our guys are out of position.
Playing some zone would hopefully put our bigs in a better position to box out and rebound..

As a general rule, zones are less efficient for rebounding than man to man.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Larrier is going to the NBA. Quite possibly after this season.

Reaction Score
Vance looked a bit jittery out there. One of his 3 was so rushed I'm not sure if he ever got a second hand on the ball. But he was also a little out of his element. They broke the press at one point, and he was all alone with Brimah underneath, but was looking to send the ball back to Jalen at midcourt.

Reaction Score
As a general rule, zones are less efficient for rebounding than man to man.
We played some zone last night and I thought it placed Brimah and the other big men in much better rebounding position.. Having our bigs play man-to-man (e.g. one of Northeastern's bigs took several 3 pt shots and drew Brimah away from the basket) has them moving all over the court..

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised we didn't see more of Vance against LMU. He had that air ball miss from 3, but I thought he would have gotten a few more minutes against the zone. Plus, it was his home-coming game.
Who cares about his "homecoming". We needed a win.

Reaction Score
We played some zone last night and I thought it placed Brimah and the other big men in much better rebounding position.. Having our bigs play man-to-man (e.g. one of Northeastern's bigs took several 3 pt shots and drew Brimah away from the basket) has them moving all over the court..

You're both right here. I mean Ex is right in the fact normally the weak side especially is trouble for rebounding as people rotate in the zone they are playing. Brimah got a couple boards out of the zone so maybe he is more comfortable knowing the area he will be in. I mean UConn basketball is not zone defense, but this team is not exactly UConn basketball either for now. Maybe in order to play more zone, if not for this reason but also to allow offensive minded Huskies to get some time despite defensive limitations?

Reaction Score
You're both right here. I mean Ex is right in the fact normally the weak side especially is trouble for rebounding as people rotate in the zone they are playing. Brimah got a couple boards out of the zone so maybe he is more comfortable knowing the area he will be in. I mean UConn basketball is not zone defense, but this team is not exactly UConn basketball either for now. Maybe in order to play more zone, if not for this reason but also to allow offensive minded Huskies to get some time despite defensive limitations?
We've always been a man-to-man team but I think switching it up on occasion and playing some zone with this team could have some benefits... It all depends on match-ups obviously. OK State doesn't appear to be overly big and relies more on their guard play...

Reaction Score
Our offense does not seem to revolve around Vance where we are trying to get him isolated for 3's rather than Rodney or Jalen. If he happens to be open he takes it, but what if we make a major effort? He's probably going to be one of our best bets % wise.

C

Chief00

Current defensive rebounding leaders:

Jackson - 17.3%
Brimah - 14.6%
Larrier - 13.9%
Gilbert - 12.2%
-----------------------------
Facey - 4.5%
Enoch - 0 in 11 minutes

Devin Davis - 6'7 F on Houston - 36.6%
Rakim Lubin - 32.8%

None of our players are top 500 in the country in DReb%.

Facey needs to wake up. You're a senior and this is pretty much what is going to give you playing time. There is no reason or incentive to play him over Jackson/Durham/Diarra if he isn't going to grab rebounds.

I have said Rock was our best Big in his last game at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom