Van Pelt Rant RE: Maryland Student Section | The Boneyard

Van Pelt Rant RE: Maryland Student Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
http://wapo.st/19LpGl2

Ignore the Edsall connection. Schools are having a hell of a time keeping students for an entire game. Rain is death - if they can't be on their phones they are gone.

Can't mean good things going forward for attendance in the longer term. The stadiums are becoming sound stages for television programming...

Reaction Score
http://wapo.st/19LpGl2

Ignore the Edsall connection. Schools are having a hell of a time keeping students for an entire game. Rain is death - if they can't be on their phones they are gone.

Can't mean good things going forward for attendance in the longer term. The stadiums are becoming sound stages for television programming...

But. but, but the stadium is on campus??? <sarcasm off>

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
SVP insisted Maryland was a top 10 basketball job back when they were hiring Sweaty's replacement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SVP insisted Maryland was a top 10 basketball job back when they were hiring Sweaty's replacement.

Not sure how it's related, but Maryland is a pretty damn good basketball job. Ranking them is a bit silly.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Phones are nearly unusable for Internet at the Rent. But almost makes it better to not be reachable for 3 hours. And I'm on my phone 24/7 like the kids.
I agree that it's good to be away from internet while at the game, but I think it would only help market the program if people could actually use their phones to "check-in" and post pics to share on social media. If you can show fun pics tailgating and of the game (and do it live) maybe it would spark some more interest from people on the fence. Believe me when I tell you that there are people that went to UConn that don't even know the rent exists...

Reaction Score
I agree that it's good to be away from internet while at the game, but I think it would only help market the program if people could actually use their phones to "check-in" and post pics to share on social media. If you can show fun pics tailgating and of the game (and do it live) maybe it would spark some more interest from people on the fence. Believe me when I tell you that there are people that went to UConn that don't even know the rent exists...

heck, maybe even do a contest out of it - best UConn/Rent fun photo tweet or FB post

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's annoying as hell that I can't get scores from other games sometimes. I mean we are all so interested in the Sacred Heart/Central score so thanks for getting that on the scoreboard.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Also can't check the BY. So that sucks.

Reaction Score
Maybe the students noticed they are spending $1k a year on student fees funneled to Randy Edsall's pocket? It will only get worse when pay-for-play is installed.

Everyone but the SEC is playing with fire, and the SEC might not have any competition in the future.

Reaction Score
Maybe the students noticed they are spending $1k a year on student fees funneled to Randy Edsall's pocket? It will only get worse when pay-for-play is installed.

Everyone but the SEC is playing with fire, and the SEC might not have any competition in the future.

Just sit back relax, and watch as these guys systematically destroy college sports.

Reaction Score
Not sure how it's related, but Maryland is a pretty damn good basketball job. Ranking them is a bit silly.

They may not be top five in their own conference.

Duke, UNC and L'ville are obviously better jobs.

Notre Dame, Syracuse and Pitt are probably as good.

Heck, a case can be made it's easier to win at Georgia Tech or NC State in the right circumstances.

Even Miami looked like a better job last year - and it's in Miami.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If that ever becomes the case, Attendance at UConn Huskies games may become akin to that of the Hartford Colonials. It will have (at least) a two fold effect.

1) Paid college football at the highest level = AAA baseball/AHL Hockey/NBDL Basketball. Why watch a game in person involving 5-10 potential NFL players, when you can watch 90 NFL players in the same game the very next day.

2) No matter what the pay scale is - whether the Manziels of the would get 10x that of the 5th string lineman or gets the same - the Manziels of the world will still sell their autograph for $10,000. It's not about the money. It's a game. It's about what you can get away with. It's like that scene in Wall Street 2 when Jake asks Bretton what his number is. Bretton's reply? More.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Why do some here care that much if student athletes are getting paid to play or for using their name to sell jerseys?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why do some here care that much if student athletes are getting paid to play or for using their name to sell jerseys?

Pay for play = professional. The best professionals = NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. All things being equal America's viewing public gravitate toward the best. The donation I send in with my tickets can just as easily be rerouted to the school and department from where I earned my degree (SBA).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt too many folks would stop watching if the players got something like a $5,000 stipend.

It would be the exact same game but you wouldn't watch because they had some spending money?

Reaction Score
It's annoying as hell that I can't get scores from other games sometimes. I mean we are all so interested in the Sacred Heart/Central score so thanks for getting that on the scoreboard.

Not everybody has a gambling problem you know. We have other vices. LOL.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt too many folks would stop watching if the players got something like a $5,000 stipend.

It would be the exact same game but you wouldn't watch because they had some spending money?

I was only mentioning students, not regular fans. Given that so few programs are in the black, students have drawn conclusions about their AD student fees and the sports programs. The addition of $5k per athlete when students are struggling to pay bills will poison the classroom environment.

Reaction Score

It would create an illusion of an uneven playing field. As opposed to the reality of one.

Reaction Score
I was only mentioning students, not regular fans. Given that so few programs are in the black, students have drawn conclusions about their AD student fees and the sports programs. The addition of $5k per athlete when students are struggling to pay bills will poison the classroom environment.

Yeah I'm calling bullspit on this. Why wouldn't that poison already exist when they're getting a free education?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I wasn't replying to you - I was replying to Husky25's thoughts.

I agree the students should revolt on the fees they pay to subsidize the athletic department.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not everybody has a gambling problem you know. We have other vices. LOL.

It is possible to want to know a score of a game without a financial interest....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would create an illusion of an uneven playing field. As opposed to the reality of one.

Well I'm working under the assumption the number would be a standard across schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom