Val Ackerman on Big East Expansion: “Is 11 Teams Enough In This Environment?” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Val Ackerman on Big East Expansion: “Is 11 Teams Enough In This Environment?”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NEWBE is a 3-5 bid league with 2 more teams. It is marginally deeper.
fetch gretchen wieners GIF

Reaction Score
No worse than Georgetown and DePaul. Probably better than the Demons. St Mary’s is equal to most NEWBES. Probably Providence or St John’s ( oh yeah they are a final 4 team. I forgot. ). USF=Seton Hall, Santa Clara=Butler. People over rate the NEWBE teams because they remember what they used to be. If you were born in the last year St John’s got past the first weekend of the tournament , you’d be 25 now. 24 the last time Seton Hall did. 17 for Georgetown. 40 years dice Georgetown won its championship. These teams are only relevant because they are local.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering how wrong it is. WCC is a 1-3 bid league with a heavy stretch on 3. NBE while it has its weak sisters is a much more potent league
How many bids did the conference receive for the 2024 tournament.

As much as many of us would like to disagree, his comment there pretty much matches the way the P4 view the conference as a whole.

Reaction Score
How many bids did the conference receive for the 2024 tournament.

As much as many of us would like to disagree, his comment there pretty much matches the way the P4 view the conference as a whole.
Big East since 2013-2014- 50 NCAA tournament bids and 4 national championships, UConn won what would've been a 5th national championship for the Big East in '14 but they were in the AAC then.

WCC since 2013-2014- 19 NCAA tournament bids and 0 National Championships

The Big East and the WCC are nothing like each other in results, stature of programs/stature of league, tournament bids, hardware etc.

I think you and freescooter are the only people who view the conferences as mirror images of each other.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
SJ,

Do you truly believe that any BE member other than UConn currently is viewed as a high level program by those in power conferences?

When asked how a major conference school that won 20 games and finished well over 500 in their conference (referring to Seton Hall) was left out of the tournament, the response was "no 20 game winner from a major conference was left out". That basically says everything many here are trying to deny.

Outside of BE fan bases the only schools that recently had any gravitas on a national basis were Nova and us and it appears Nova has squandered most of that since Jay retired.

Many of us refuse to see it (and yes, the conference has done very well remaining afloat while outside forces continue the effort to sink it) but as each season passes it will become more and more difficult for BE schools to remain truly competitive.

Reaction Score
SJ,

Do you truly believe that any BE member other than UConn currently is viewed as a high level program by those in power conferences?

When asked how a major conference school that won 20 games and finished well over 500 in their conference (referring to Seton Hall) was left out of the tournament, the response was "no 20 game winner from a major conference was left out". That basically says everything many here are trying to deny.

Outside of BE fan bases the only schools that recently had any gravitas on a national basis were Nova and us and it appears Nova has squandered most of that since Jay retired.

Many of us refuse to see it (and yes, the conference has done very well remaining afloat while outside forces continue the effort to sink it) but as each season passes it will become more and more difficult for BE schools to remain truly competitive
This is exactly my point. Major conferences viewed Villanova in the same way they see Gonzaga. And yes I know Gonzaga hasn’t won anything. But you know what I mean. A power program in a lesser league. That has now transferred to us as Villanova seems to have returned to the pack with Jay Wright’s retirement. We have now replace the Wildcats as the power program.

Those of us who were around for the original Big East have a hard time understanding that St John’s Georgetown, and Seton Hall are no longer nationally relevant. Marquette, Creighton and Xavier are what they are. Nice programs with good fan bases but no national appeal and limited success.

I think an expansion of the NEWBE by adding the WCC makes some sense. You get a power program. You get a group of good, not great teams to play that will be good matchups for the middle of the league. Maybe the 2 bottom feeders will improve with more exposure. After all both are relatively new to the league. And finally it gives you national reach which is becoming the thing. You have teams on the east coast, Midwest and West coast. Of course there are issues over scheduling but the Big 10 and the ACC and even the Big 12 are figuring those out. No reason the NEWBE can’t too. Plus I’m not sure it would be any worse than adding a bunch of A-10 teams as others have proposed. VCU-Dayton isn’t going to move the needle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SJ,

Many of us refuse to see it (and yes, the conference has done very well remaining afloat while outside forces continue the effort to sink it) but as each season passes it will become more and more difficult for BE schools to remain truly competitive.
The conference is viewed as a basketball conference and the schools in it are viewed as basketball schools. The Big 10, SEC and Big 12 aren't interested in any of that because football is all they care about.

I've never once heard anyone talk about the WCC as a basketball conference. I've never even heard anyone talk about that conference or any schools in it other than Gonzaga.

Do you really think the Big East and WCC mirror each other?

Reaction Score
SJ,

That's a different statement than the idea that the big east is just the east coast wcc

Reaction Score
Scooter. You want to add the entire WCC? Why don't you think about why that's a terrible idea and doesn't get UConn more money then come back.

Reaction Score
I told you why I think it is a good idea.Here is my summary. 1. Gets a 2nd power school into the league and makes the travel issue less. 2. Gives us a national presence. 3. The schools’ profiles match well with the NEWBE. 6 of the 9 are Catholic. 4 of those are Jesuit. 5. They have a basketball focus. 6. They match up well with the mid-level NEWBES outside of Gonzaga, a national program which is good for us. 7. They are better than adding some lousy A10 program.

Look if I had my druthers, I wouldn’t take Pacific and Portland, but if I had my druthers I wouldn’t have Georgetown, DePaul or Butler either. Neither Butler nor Georgetown have been relevant for over a decade. DePaul hasn’t been in more than 50 years. But sometimes you have to take what you have to take. If the NEWBE is going to expand where would you look?

Reaction Score
So you want uconn to make less money. Gotcha.

You don't need to expand. There is an option not to expand.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The conference is viewed as a basketball conference and the schools in it are viewed as basketball schools. The Big 10, SEC and Big 12 aren't interested in any of that because football is all they care about.

I've never once heard anyone talk about the WCC as a basketball conference. I've never even heard anyone talk about that conference or any schools in it other than Gonzaga.

Do you really think the Big East and WCC mirror each other?
Do they mirror each other?

No.

If you were to remove the one public school from the BE, then compare the two (in terms of national relevance today) the BE wouldn't be as far ahead as you are trying to claim. There wouldn't be much of a gap between the two.

Reaction Score
Not at all what actually happened, and what makes it bizarre is that we ended up separate from the Catholics EXACTLY for the reason you want us to be separate now. Because we want to play big time football in addition to hoops and the Catholics don’t want their future intertwined with northeastern big time football.
"not at all what happened" - fine, i'm not that long of a fan. please tell me what happened, if you know.

But - reasons aside, who broke up with who, ultimately?
- if the non-catholics broke up with the catholics, then i agree with you - my sarcastic comment is out of line and UConn is complicit in the breakup of its short lived power conference home. But the boneyard tells me this is NOT what happened.

- But if the catholics decided to kick everyone out who wasn't going with their vision and take the BE name with them, then their panic of getting left behind in 2024 is rightfully earned. Old Big east was on a trajectory to be the Big12 of today or at least a suitable rival to the ACC and firmly in the fight to stay alive as a Power conference, certainly on the level of Big12 & ACC.

my point is, had the Big East stayed together, the catholics wouldn't be panicking to stay relevant in the shifting landscape. Even without having football teams, they could still be riding that wave to security. Foolish decision, no matter who was the one who made it (catholics or state schools)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is exactly my point. Major conferences viewed Villanova in the same way they see Gonzaga. And yes I know Gonzaga hasn’t won anything. But you know what I mean. A power program in a lesser league. That has now transferred to us as Villanova seems to have returned to the pack with Jay Wright’s retirement. We have now replace the Wildcats as the power program.

Those of us who were around for the original Big East have a hard time understanding that St John’s Georgetown, and Seton Hall are no longer nationally relevant. Marquette, Creighton and Xavier are what they are. Nice programs with good fan bases but no national appeal and limited success.

I think an expansion of the NEWBE by adding the WCC makes some sense. You get a power program. You get a group of good, not great teams to play that will be good matchups for the middle of the league. Maybe the 2 bottom feeders will improve with more exposure. After all both are relatively new to the league. And finally it gives you national reach which is becoming the thing. You have teams on the east coast, Midwest and West coast. Of course there are issues over scheduling but the Big 10 and the ACC and even the Big 12 are figuring those out. No reason the NEWBE can’t too. Plus I’m not sure it would be any worse than adding a bunch of A-10 teams as others have proposed. VCU-Dayton isn’t going to move the needle.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Reaction Score
"not at all what happened" - fine, i'm not that long of a fan. please tell me what happened, if you know.

But - reasons aside, who broke up with who, ultimately?
- if the non-catholics broke up with the catholics, then i agree with you - my sarcastic comment is out of line and UConn is complicit in the breakup of its short lived power conference home. But the boneyard tells me this is NOT what happened.

- But if the catholics decided to kick everyone out who wasn't going with their vision and take the BE name with them, then their panic of getting left behind in 2024 is rightfully earned. Old Big east was on a trajectory to be the Big12 of today or at least a suitable rival to the ACC and firmly in the fight to stay alive as a Power conference, certainly on the level of Big12 & ACC.

my point is, had the Big East stayed together, the catholics wouldn't be panicking to stay relevant in the shifting landscape. Even without having football teams, they could still be riding that wave to security. Foolish decision, no matter who was the one who made it (catholics or state schools)

No one kicked anyone out. The basketball onlies left when every interesting football school but us had found higher ground, and we needed to reconstitute the conference with more football schools that were going to greatly devalue the basketball. The Catholics took a perfectly sound step. They would have gladly taken us if we had any intention of giving up big time football, but at that time we didn’t. But no one kicked anyone out. And from their perspective, every football school but us bailed on them. Because that is what happened.

Not shockingly, the Boneyard likes to blame someone for everything. Like every other social media board.

Reaction Score
Do they mirror each other?

No.

If you were to remove the one public school from the BE, then compare the two (in terms of national relevance today) the BE wouldn't be as far ahead as you are trying to claim. There wouldn't be much of a gap between the two.
Every conference is hurt when you take out their biggest brand and winningest program but the Big East would still crush the WCC like they did when UConn was in the AAC.

I'm not sure why some posters feel the need to denigrate the Big East, we all know our situation. The Big East is called a power conference for basketball, it was still called a basketball power conference even when UConn was in the AAC. People know who Gonzaga is but ask most casual fans about the WCC and they will look at you like you asked them about The Lost CIty of Z.

None of it really means squat in terms of realignment because football steers that ship but this Big East WCC thing is really silly.

Reaction Score
Every conference is hurt when you take out their biggest brand and winningest program but the Big East would still crush the WCC like they did when UConn was in the AAC.

I'm not sure why some posters feel the need to denigrate the Big East, we all know our situation. The Big East is called a power conference for basketball, it was still called a basketball power conference even when UConn was in the AAC. People know who Gonzaga is but ask most casual fans about the WCC and they will look at you like you asked them about The Lost CIty of Z.

None of it really means squat in terms of realignment because football steers that ship but this Big East WCC thing is really silly.
I share the idea that BE's future is not great but they aren't so bad to merge with the WCC. I mean WCC merging with the a10 would still be a downgrade for the A10. Remember. Its Zaga then St Mary's and then absolutely nobody.

Reaction Score

And ask them what conference Creighton’s in and they’ll shrug.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom