UVA’s Boyle is retiring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UVA’s Boyle is retiring

Reaction Score
Well Dawn has recruited pretty well with many of her recruits being top 50 or higher kids and has had outstanding production from players outside the top 50 in Welsch and Herbert Harrigan who were steals. Though the two guards helped them win the championship last year, her players recruited that shd had without transfers had already won three SEC championships and one was before Aja Wilso got there. Another wave of outstanding talent is coming through SC and with her success in Atl and Florida i dont think Dawn is leaving especially with a following that averaged over 13,000 fans a game.
Dawn's recruiting is about to get a major beef injection, with her being National Team coach now. No problem there. SC has major athletic resources and will be able (or willing) to outbid UVA for her services. IMO the UVA opening just represents a big payday for Dawn if she and/or her agent want to flirt a bit with UVA. (That process can start next Monday night :D). But, at the end of the day, Dawn's staying right where she is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As discussed, another young splash would be someone like Shea Ralph, with her ties to the region. While Shea may be very happy at UConn, does she want to be a head coach? Perhaps at UConn down the road? If so, there are many who think you only get ready to be a head coach by being a head coach. In any case, this is a premier post. On the other hand, the job at NC may open up soon as well and that's home for her.

This will be very intriguing position to keep an eye on....
It's true Shea says her current job is her dream job and she has to pinch herself every day, etc. But a head coaching position at an ACC school in the South - man, that could sound pretty sweet. And possibly being offered 3X or 4X the ~$200K she's making now - that kind of pay increase could be life changing. I totally agree the best way to prepare yourself to be UConn's head coach is go get a head coaching job. This one would seem to be a really good one for Shea if she did get the chance.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn's recruiting is about to get a major beef injection, with her being National Team coach now. No problem there. SC has major athletic resources and will be able (or willing) to outbid UVA for her services. IMO the UVA opening just represents a big payday for Dawn if she and/or her agent want to flirt a bit with UVA. (That process can start next Monday night :D). But, at the end of the day, Dawn's staying right where she is.

I agree; she's already making close to 1.5m and I daresay USC has a much wealthier athletics department than UVA. Additionally, if our AD let Dawn leave, he would have a mass rebellion on his hands.

Reaction Score
lol "retiring" at 54

I bet within 4 years she's coaching again.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I agree; she's already making close to 1.5m and I daresay USC has a much wealthier athletics department than UVA. Additionally, if our AD let Dawn leave, he would have a mass rebellion on his hands.

Not so fast.

The UVA endowment fund is 69 million. While I did not find a recent value for USC, I think it is far smaller.

Endowments | UVA – All In For Excellence

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That was a tongue in cheek comment as some on here think Jen is a logical choice to potentially follow Geno, so I was doing a bit of misdirection...:rolleyes:.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It was mentioned a few weeks back as a "possibility". Don't believe it was ever confirmed and potentially insensitive if not correct.

I can’t imagine she’s not pregnant. If you watch her walk off the court in Monday night’s game at halftime the bump seems quite visible. First time I had noticed it.

Reaction Score
While I have no factual information, I highly doubt that this is a “true retirement”. While there may be personal issues, I doubt that they suddenly became critical enough to retire at the end of her contract. If that were the case, why not indicate you’re retiring at the end of the year...3-5 months ago -and allow your university to prepare for your departure. No, this is a “agreed upon” retirement. I still want Shea!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I expect Dawn Staley will return to UVA to coach her alma mater. I have no inside knowledge...just a gut feeling.

Amen on the last sentence.

As of 2016-2017, Joanne Boyle's base salary was $365,792 (it will obviously be greater this year, with yearly increases and a bonus for making the NCAA Tournament). Her contract expires this year.

By comparison, in 2015, Staley had her contract extended and salary raised. Her base pay was raised from $350,000 to $550,000; her contract was extended through 2020-21; and her total compensation package was pushed to $1.1 million, starting with 2015-16. After winning the national title, Staley signed a four-year extension in 2017 that included an increase in base salary to $650,000, and yearly increases in outside compensation (money from athletic department rights holders) that raised her total financial package to $1.4 million in the first year of the extension (2021) and to $2.1 million in the final year (2025). Her buyout increases from $700,000 in her old contract to $3.5 million in the first year of the new deal.

In other words, Virginia would not have to buy out Boyle, as she is in the last year of her contract.

But Virginia would have to pony up a LARGE sum of money to buy out Staley, plus a HUGE package to attract Staley (unless Dawn wants to take a massive pay cut). Not sure UVA Athletics has the money (or the desire) to spend so much money on a non-revenue sport.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As of 2016-2017, Joanne Boyle's base salary was $365,792 (it will obviously be greater this year, with yearly increases and a bonus for making the NCAA Tournament). Her contract expires this year.

By comparison, in 2015, Staley had her contract extended and salary raised. Her base pay was raised from $350,000 to $550,000; her contract was extended through 2020-21; and her total compensation package was pushed to $1.1 million, starting with 2015-16. After winning the national title, Staley signed a four-year extension in 2017 that included an increase in base salary to $650,000, and yearly increases in outside compensation (money from athletic department rights holders) that raised her total financial package to $1.4 million in the first year of the extension (2021) and to $2.1 million in the final year (2025). Her buyout increases from $700,000 in her old contract to $3.5 million in the first year of the new deal.

In other words, Virginia would not have to buy out Boyle, as she is in the last year of her contract.

But Virginia would have to pony up a LARGE sum of money to buy out Staley, plus a HUGE package to attract Staley (unless Dawn wants to take a massive pay cut). Not sure UVA Athletics has the money (or the desire) to spend so much money on a non-revenue sport.

This entire post is exactly why the Staley to UVA talk is nonsensical. I’m glad you did the research so I didn’t have to..

Staley will be one of the few coaches in WBB making 2 million dollars per year at the end of her current contract... UVA ain’t ponying up that kinda money and I can’t see Dawn (in her 40s) going to a school for another 5+ year rebuild.. for less money.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well Dawn's from Philly but went to UVA for 4 years until 1992. I know UVA is a much better school from an academics perspective (than SC) but I don't know that Dawn could recruit any better there than at SC. Her recruiting at SC, aside from Wilson, has been good but not great. Her best recruit by year is as follows:
Don't get me wrong - solid recruiting, but not great. Would not have won the NC last year without top 10 transfers Davis and Gray, and next year she has another transfer T'ea Cooper, another top 10 kid eligible to play. So she's gotten some great transfers, but even with Wilson this year, they are hovering around the top 10. Next year I see them in the 15-20 range. It's going to be a while before SC recruits well enough to make it to the top again. Just my $.02 regarding them. Point being, not sure she'd do any better at UVA. But, what she's done in the past 4 years is way better than UVA so maybe they'd love to get her.

I don't see Shea going there - I think she waits for the UNC job to open when Hatchell retires. Then I think the UCONN job comes down to her or Jen depending on how they both do. Jen's in a better spot at GW than she was at Hartford, and UNC is certainly a top level school in a P5 conference.

You think UNC.Cheat would hire Ralph over Charlotte Smith...? An Alumnus who's jersey is retired and hanging from the rafters of Carmichieal Arena? Plus someone who actually has head coaching experience and has done quite well building up the Elon program? I don't... but what do I know.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I know Dawn Staley is pretty well set at South Carolina and as a resident of the Palmetto State, I certainly hope she will stay and keep the Gamecocks as a power. But do not underestimate the emotional pull of one's undergraduate institution; I got my Masters degree from Clemson but my heart still bleeds Red and White with a strong attachment to NC State, almost 30 years after I graduated.

There is more to life than money...and if UVA really wants Staley, they'll pony up the funds necessary to make an attractive offer. Virginia has a passionate core of WBB fans who are unhappy with the status of the program and yearn for a return to relevancy. On the other hand...Ray Tanner (former NC State baseball coach) is a great AD for South Carolina and will probably do all he can to keep Staley.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
You think UNC.Cheat would hire Ralph over Charlotte Smith...? An Alumnus who's jersey is retired and hanging from the rafters of Carmichieal Arena? Plus someone who actually has head coaching experience and has done quite well building up the Elon program? I don't... but what do I know.

Agreed. I have heard from multiple people that Charlotte Smith is waiting for UNC job. And when it becomes available she will be a slam dunk. I like how she has steadily made progress at Elon biding her time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom