Utah State Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Utah State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He played basically a whole game against Iowa when their QB1 got injured and looked like trash while surrounded by a ton of talent. Most PSU fans think that game was what gone him shown the door at the end of the season.

I do still think he has potential to be serviceable at the level UConn needs, but he had a legit shot at Penn State to prove himself.
Wow, my bad, a whole game, that's tons of experience I forgot.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
When I read statements like this, I become mad. UConn used to pay competitive salaries 10 years ago, but not anymore. How many teams on UConn's schedule this year do you think UConn pays their assistants more than? 5, Georgia State, FIU, Sacred Heart, James Madison and UMass. And the assistant coaching pools at FIU and Georgia State are 20% and 10% less than UConn and UMass is about 25% less. We do not have a spending advantage on our competition.

UConn has a $80 million+ athletic department budget and we can't find $500k to $1 million more to put into football coaching salaries? Football is UConn's biggest revenue opportunity, but you need to invest to deliver results. And, for those who say you want to see results first, football is not basketball as you can turn around a basketball program in year with a good coach and a couple of players. Turning around football is more complicated.
I totally agree with this. Football is an investment in the university. Success in revenue sports boosts the entire school. UCONN is an example of this thanks to hoops. Invest in football and the university will benefit.

Reaction Score
I was going to write a synopsis as negative and far ranging as the rest of you —touching on bad play, poor coaching technique, bad coaching decisions, poor recruiting, transfer portal mishaps, a too small endowment, more funding needed for coaches and NIL, it’s the coaching, no it’s the roster, no it’s inept players making bonehead plays, etc, etc.,….till I realized that if we had one better push on 4th down, or one run by TR when the field was open, or one measly extra point and an OT win, none of those negative comments would have flowed from any of you.
So instead I’ll say I saw progress with the offense, Roberson gaining confidence, Edwards showing up at RB, receivers catching and Charlton calling a better game.
Now let’s take those encouraging signs on offense, shore up the D, practice snapping the ball and blocking on kicks, head down to Houston and beat Rice.

Reaction Score
One really positive thing is that it looked like when Cam Edwards ran, he just hit the hole straight up the field and it became apparent the OLine was blocking well. Felt like Houston especially, would sit and think and it would look like the line was totally collapsed on him and he had to be slippery to get the yards. Rosa was a mix between the two. Cam running looked like we can actually pound the rock at will going forward. Could be that the OLine changed something or the play calls were changed or the DLine sucked, but it definitely felt different that the first 4 games.

Reaction Score
Is this for real? This is the lamest excuse for lack of accountability in the history of the boneyard. We don't have the resources to properly execute blocking on an extra point y'all.

What i saw was a former starter on offense that has lost his spot, and goes out on the EP team and gives a half ass effort of a blocking attempt.

Mora needs to stop being a nice guy, finding spots for what seems to be sulking players. Really p lol identify who isn't giving max effort and sit them.
If you don’t think it is a problem, you haven’t watched any of this season’s games. I will spare you the list of mental mistakes, bad technique or just indiscipline sloppiness. The folks who have watched the games, know what I am referring to. The idea that a head coach can be that and the Defensive Coordinator and then coach up inexperience coaches is a big ask.
I do agree effort and the propensity to transfer is an issue too, and good assistant coaches would address these issues before it is too late.
As in any business we need to pay competitively and currently we are not.

Reaction Score
If you don’t think it is a problem, you haven’t watched any of this season’s games. I will spare you the list of mental mistakes, bad technique or just indiscipline sloppiness. The folks who have watched the games, know what I am referring to. The idea that a head coach can be that and the Defensive Coordinator and then coach up inexperience coaches is a big ask.
I do agree effort and the propensity to transfer is an issue too, and good assistant coaches would address these issues before it is too late.
As in any business we need to pay competitively and currently we are not.
I've said we've had issues with coaches pay, especially assistant coaches for years on this board. But we are talking about blocking on an extra point. Another like @Palatine pointed is snapping the football. To think that those are issues because we don't have enough analysts seems silly. Players have to know their assignments and execute basics. Sometimes lack of effort shows itself on plays.

Reaction Score
This stings a bit but sometimes the truth hurts:

“The whole game we kind of figured out that the right side was their weak link on the block, field goals and PAT and so when the time was right we called a block,” Larsen said. “It just happened and was a perfect scheme.”

Any win is a win right now for Utah State — including the thrilling yet ugly victory over UConn

This right here is very telling on what coaching staffs that are beating us are doing to win the games. We have a lot of young assistants. In game adjustments matter. The fact Utah St evaluating in game to learn this and not just from film allowed them to get the block and beat us. Our special teams have been in rough shape for years. Our staff did not have the PAT team ready. Georgia State ran their QB up the middle untouched for a TD due to knowing how we would lineup. These late in the half passing TDs are not an accident. College players on an extra point blocking assignment should know which gap is the priority to cover when they lineup. In addition the amount of penalties we are committing is an abomination.

Reaction Score
One really positive thing is that it looked like when Cam Edwards ran, he just hit the hole straight up the field and it became apparent the OLine was blocking well. Felt like Houston especially, would sit and think and it would look like the line was totally collapsed on him and he had to be slippery to get the yards. Rosa was a mix between the two. Cam running looked like we can actually pound the rock at will going forward. Could be that the OLine changed something or the play calls were changed or the DLine sucked, but it definitely felt different that the first 4 games.
No doubt that Cam Edwards is a more of a north/south runner than Houston was. I think he provides us with a great change of pace when he comes in for Victor. Both Edwards and Rosa ran the ball well on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I've said we've had issues with coaches pay, especially assistant coaches for years on this board. But we are talking about blocking on an extra point. Another like @Palatine pointed is snapping the football. To think that those are issues because we don't have enough analysts seems silly. Players have to know their assignments and execute basics. Sometimes lack of effort shows itself on plays.
I don’t intend to take responsibility from tbe players but that coaching up thing doesn’t appear to be happening enough.

Reaction Score
@ZooCougar I think this helps prove your point.

Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 4.50.05 PM.png

We spent quite a bit of money relative to G5 schools, especially on the Head Coach and Coordinator side. The P5 side of the fence is different story. Kansas is one of the "poorer" P5 schools and they spent 5.5M on head coach + assistants. So I guess it's all relative.

Data is from USA Today database. These are 2022 numbers. Will have 2023 numbers in Dec. Massey ranks are from 2023.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The combination of Rosa and Edwards is a nice outcome from the game.

Two RB's of close to ideal size who hit holes and fall forward when they are tackled.

Reaction Score
This program is bad. Top to bottom, it’s a disaster. Nothing will change because those in charge refuse to do anything meaningful.

I’m out for the rest of the season. I just can’t do it anymore. Respect for those who can; you are more dedicated fans than me.
Thanks troll

Reaction Score
@ZooCougar I think this helps prove your point.

View attachment 91772

We spent quite a bit of money relative to G5 schools, especially on the Head Coach and Coordinator side. The P5 side of the fence is different story. Kansas is one of the "poorer" P5 schools and they spent 5.5M on head coach + assistants. So I guess it's all relative.

Data is from USA Today database. These are 2022 numbers. Will have 2023 numbers in Dec. Massey ranks are from 2023.
AAC should be our peer group within G5

Reaction Score
I don't feel so bad after watching how UCF just lost to Baylor. That's even more brutal
Forget winning, the year we can even hang within 14 to 21 of Baylor in a game I'll do cartwheels.

Reaction Score
We needed to lose Houston to see Edwards and Stafford. That’s a great trade off. It was also great to see Cam Ross play a big role. We have some weapons in Ross, Edwards, Rosa, Joly, Stafford, Truckman and Clercius. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple of others. There’s some talent, let’s keep getting them the ball. It’s something to build on IF the staff recognizes what works and keeps doing it.

Reaction Score
Thanks troll
Sure, buddy.

I’ve been been a diehard UConn fan since childhood. I support every single UConn team and want them all to be successful. I watch games, I buy merch, I’ve followed this team when they were having 1 win seasons and hoping that next year they could turn it around.

Like everyone else, I am extremely frustrated with how much this program has dipped from last year, not to mention the last decade of bottom of the barrel results. I don’t expect UConn to be winning the national title or even making the CFB but come on, the fact that they are once again an absolute joke is completely inexcusable.

Watching them play this season has been an exhausting experience. Please, I would LOVE to eat my words. I’m begging for Mora to turn it around. I just don’t see it happening and I’m tired of watching another disappointing season.

And yet I’ll still probably be back for next week’s game because despite everything I actually like UConn and want them to win.

Reaction Score
Obviously won’t happen mid season, and especially with our dearth of running backs, but I think Rosa should be moved to wide receiver.

Would open up so many things for this offense, fly sweeps, motion into the backfield, and he would be excellent on slants and short passes.

Something to think about.

Reaction Score
No doubt that Cam Edwards is a more of a north/south runner than Houston was. I think he provides us with a great change of pace when he comes in for Victor.
Edwards being 20 lbs heavier than Houston is a plus

He’s just getting started… speed is evident.

(New Haven Register 2022 Player of the Year)

Reaction Score
Obviously won’t happen mid season, and especially with our dearth of running backs, but I think Rosa should be moved to wide receiver.

Would open up so many things for this offense, fly sweeps, motion into the backfield, and he would be excellent on slants and short passes.

Something to think about.
They could work on a special package for him this year. Couple or three plays for certain situations. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom