Utah Sports Ruckus: For BYU it's about time to raise political havoc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Utah Sports Ruckus: For BYU it's about time to raise political havoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the end result will be a sixth power conference comprised of schools with the resources to go all in. They may not have a vote like the p5, in changes but it will provide equal access to the national championship playoffs with no blackball scheduling. If in the future a school in that conference cant afford to go all in they could drop out. Let the schools work out their own tv deals. It would probably be less like a conference and more like an alliance with an autobid to the champion.

I think the end result will be a break up of the conference TV contracts and every school for themselves. I am OK with that.

Reaction Score
PROVO — BYU was in the news Wednesday for its investigation of allegations that some members of its football team over the years have received “improper benefits” from former director of football operations Duane Busby. While potentially an impactful development, at present this should fall under the “let’s-wait-and-see-the-facts-before-we-over-analyze-it” category of news stories.

There’s actually another BYU story right now that involves more important issues, in the big picture, than whether some college athletes stayed on someone’s couch for free or received minor assistance in other ways.

BYU and its supporters need to be prepared to make news for a totally different reason. They need to be ready to raise a little political havoc in the name of anti-discrimination and equality, if they want to remain legitimately in the business of college sports, and especially college football.

In college athletics, BYU, the flagship university of The Church of of Latter-day Saints, is on the outside looking in right now.

Not only has BYU been excluded from entry into one of the Power 5 athletic conferences — the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12 and ACC — but the SEC and ACC recently ruled that BYU would not even be considered a top-level program for scheduling purposes.

It’s reaching a point where BYU and its supporters need to be ready to stand up and say, “We’re not going to stand for this anymore.”

Can anyone rationally argue that BYU, based on its athletic accomplishments and other applicable merits, does not deserve to be included in the top tier of college athletics?

There is no valid argument against it.

Can anyone make an argument that BYU does not possess a top 60 athletic program or a top 60 football program?

If BYU so clearly deserves to be included, then why is it being forced below the large and ever-expanding dividing line between the Power 5 conferences in American college sports and the rest?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...out-time-to-raise-political-havoc.html?pg=all

Saw this article regarding the likelihood of BYU joining the American. I see UCONN going B1G eventually but in meantime, BYU and Army joining AAC would be a plus. I like Army for football way more than UMASS which brings zero to the table.
http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/05/byu-will-join-aac-within-2-years.html

Reaction Score
I think the end result will be a break up of the conference TV contracts and every school for themselves. I am OK with that.

I would be very much in favor of this. So long to riders like Northwestern or Kansas State or Texas Tech or Washington State. Our true value would become glaringly obvious.

Reaction Score
Curious, How You Came Do This Conclusion.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I feel like there are some schools who are the outside that could really bring this thing down if pissed off enough. BYU is #1 on that list. They are independent due to other reasons but their football following is big and they are not a newcomer to this party like we are. To actually say we won't play them like the ACC did might open floodgates the P5 don't want to open.

I hope BYU finds a way to raise hell and I hope UConn is right next to them to support them.

Reaction Score
I feel like there are some schools who are the outside that could really bring this thing down if pissed off enough. BYU is #1 on that list. They are independent due to other reasons but their football following is big and they are not a newcomer to this party like we are. To actually say we won't play them like the ACC did might open floodgates the P5 don't want to open.

I hope BYU finds a way to raise hell and I hope UConn is right next to them to support them.
I agree. I also always thought the entire system was corrupt the way Notre Dame was granted special bowl privileges. I understand conferences aligning with bowls. But to hand special privileges to one indy was extremely unfair to everyone else. If this Resource 5 autonomy bs happens, why should ND be privy?

Reaction Score
It appears that BYU and the American are forming an amicable alliance of sorts. With three American games this year (UCONN, Houston and UCF) as well as the Miami Beach Bowl. In 2015 they play East Carolina, Cincy and UCONN. In 2016, they play Cincy and I assume more games will be added from the American. They are a National team and the AAC geographic spread in major metropolitan cities appeals to them. Mike Aresco has a great personal relationship with BYU over the years. It can be compared to the ACC's relationship with Notre Dame for football. If you check out BYU on Wiki, they have a pretty good track record and a 63,000 seat stadium in Provo. Appreciate no boring and worn out comments on how bad the AAC is and how much we want out. That is getting old. Until then we have to make this conference the best it can be. Right now the money sucks in the American but team wise with BYU, not too bad. The AAC had newer D-1 teams like UCONN, UCF and USF. No question the American has it's challenges but as Aresco says the American has a chance to be better and got off to a great start with UCF's win over Baylor in the Fiesta. Last year ECU beat both NC and NC State. OOC games will be important this year. Bottom line - Same old story need more $$$ to be viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom