USWNT Plays 2 Biggies | The Boneyard

USWNT Plays 2 Biggies

Reaction Score
For those who follow the US Women's National soccer team, the women have 2 BIG pre-Olympic Games contests this month, both in Europe.
In today's WaPo, a report of rising virus outbreaks in Japan (site of the Olympics) cast some question about how this will affect the Games. While Japan has far fewer cases than the US, it is also vaccinating its citizens at a much slower rate than we are.
I write this just to put in context that the current matches scheduled for April may be the last we see of the team for a while. Everything will be done to preserve the Olympics, but, as we have learned, in the midst of a worldwide epidemic nothing is certain.
On April 10, the WNT will play Sweden @1PM on Fox; on the 13th, they will play France @3PM on ESPN2. Both opponents are among the best in the world.
The American team is largely intact. Sam Mewis is returning, but Tobin Heath is not. Otherwise we should see all of the top US players take the pitch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terrific! Their defense has been the best in the world for years. Pretty hard to get by Sauerbrunn, Dahlkamper, Ertz and Naher. I think BS has been a underrated player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Terrific! Their defense has been the best in the world for years. Pretty hard to get by Sauerbrunn, Dahlkamper, Ertz and Naher. I think BS has been a underrated player.
BS??

Reaction Score
What's up with Tobin Heath? Why isn't she returning? Any info?

Reaction Score
Tough matches coming up, but a chance to match their longest win streak.

The USA enters the match against Sweden on a 37-game unbeaten streak and having won its last 16. The current 16-match winning streak is the third-longest in program history. The USWNT won a record 18 straight matches from July 25, 1990, to May 25, 1991, and recorded 17 straight wins immediately before this run, from March 5 to October 3, 2019.

One driving force behind the win streak has been the USA’s high-octane offense. The USA has scored in 66 consecutive matches – the longest such streak in USWNT history - and has averaged just more than three goals per game in that time. During this 66-game run the USA has outscored the opposition 221-34.

Defensively, the USA has recorded six consecutive clean sheets, last allowing a goal in the 58th minute of its 3-1 victory over Japan on March 12, 2020. During its 16-game winning streak, the USA has outscored the opposition, 60-3. Two of those three goals were scored by Sweden in the first game of the win streak, which was also Andonvoski’s first match as head coach of the USWNT, a 3-2 victory on Nov. 7, 2019 in Columbus, Ohio.

Reaction Score
What's up with Tobin Heath? Why isn't she returning? Any info?
Injured ankle. How serious I don't know. Minimally she's being held out to be ready in July, but she's not on the roster of the current team--meaning she won't be playing in the 2 April games.

Reaction Score
Injured ankle. How serious I don't know. Minimally she's being held out to be ready in July, but she's not on the roster of the current team--meaning she won't be playing in the 2 April games.

Yeah, when she was first injured, the thought was she wouldn't be ready for these April games, but might be back for Club (Manchester United) later this month or early next month. If all goes well, she should be ready for any June USWNT games.

Reaction Score
Tough matches coming up, but a chance to match their longest win streak.

The USA enters the match against Sweden on a 37-game unbeaten streak and having won its last 16. The current 16-match winning streak is the third-longest in program history. The USWNT won a record 18 straight matches from July 25, 1990, to May 25, 1991, and recorded 17 straight wins immediately before this run, from March 5 to October 3, 2019.

One driving force behind the win streak has been the USA’s high-octane offense. The USA has scored in 66 consecutive matches – the longest such streak in USWNT history - and has averaged just more than three goals per game in that time. During this 66-game run the USA has outscored the opposition 221-34.

Defensively, the USA has recorded six consecutive clean sheets, last allowing a goal in the 58th minute of its 3-1 victory over Japan on March 12, 2020. During its 16-game winning streak, the USA has outscored the opposition, 60-3. Two of those three goals were scored by Sweden in the first game of the win streak, which was also Andonvoski’s first match as head coach of the USWNT, a 3-2 victory on Nov. 7, 2019 in Columbus, Ohio.
Good stuff. But, do you have any actual details? :eek: :rolleyes: :oops:

On a serious note, great stuff, Jeff. THANKS A BUNCH! ?

I'm surprised though, that more BY'ers haven't piped in on this thread. I guess they don't know about the strong connection between the USWNT and the UConn women. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Sweden scores in the 38' on a set piece flick. USA was beginning to have the run of play but does not look like the best team in the world.

Edit Would have been 2-0 Sweden just before half on a bad defensive play by Horan. Clear run to goal but Sweden are not elite finishers and goalie snuffed it out.

Am I reliving UConn - Az ?? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well the USWNT escaped with a tie at the 87th minute on a penalty kick by Rapinoe. But the it appeared the penalty was just outside the box. Are they getting sloppy, outhustled or just outplayed by Sweden.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well the USWNT escaped with a tie at the 87th minute on a penalty kick by Rapinoe. But the it appeared the penalty was just outside the box. Are they getting sloppy, outhustled or just outplayed by Sweden.
Not only was the Penalty outside the box but I think it was a bit soft. I think the US played better in the second half but also had some really bad defensive breakdowns that could have led to 2 Sweden goals. No player I can think of on the US side really looked top flight (Maybe Ertz and Rapinoe in 2nd half replacement duty). If I am France, licking my chops.

Reaction Score
Sweden has historically had success against the US National Team. As you may recall, it was Sweden that knocked the United States out at the Rio Olympics in 2016 on penalties. I'm not necessarily surprised by this result, and I would expect that France will be incredibly dangerous -- especially given how they just handled England.

Reaction Score
They just could not get the win.... US had the possession edge, more corners, more shots

Reaction Score
Good stuff. But, do you have any actual details? :eek: :rolleyes: :oops:

On a serious note, great stuff, Jeff. THANKS A BUNCH! ?

I'm surprised though, that more BY'ers haven't piped in on this thread. I guess they don't know about the strong connection between the USWNT and the UConn women. ;)
Not to mention that Alyssa Naeher is a local girl.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Some people seem nervous. I saw the post-game analysts with a whose stock is up/down chart and it showed Lavelle and Davidson as stock up and Lloyd and Williams as stock down. Maybe I saw it wrong with Williams, but I think that's who they had.

Lloyd is kinda getting there in age. And Williams probably doesn't generally take precedence over Heath, Morgan, Press, or Rapinoe. Time for Sophia Smith maybe. I'm a total stan.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It is interesting to get a post referencing the US Women's National soccer team in that when that team is playing well--as it usually does--the game is beautiful, with staunch defense, pinpoint passing and open shots...just like UConn women's basketball, when the Huskies are in synch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was pretty disappointed in their performance. I hope it was all because they haven’t been practicing together, and it may very well be. That was obvious in the passing — just not that crisp, and frequently waiting just a little too long to make passes to open players.

Not finishing around the goal is something I’ve come to expect. But they usually make up for that with the sheer number of chances. The defensive lapses were very worrisome, though.

That said, even a little rusty, their midfield play is just fantastic. Ertz is the best defensive midfielder in the world, and Horan just seems to be involved in every play wherever it’s happening. I hope Lavelle can stay healthy thru the Olympics. Looks like the Mewises are likely to fill out the midfield roster. My cats love them, cheer for them all the time, even when there hasn’t been a match in weeks.

Great midfield play can cover up a lot of warts.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom