USMNT Roster for March qualifiers released... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USMNT Roster for March qualifiers released...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow!!!!
Dempsey, Pulisic, everybody.... just wow!!

Now, please sub off Dempsey now that he's got his hat trick. Save him for Panama.

This game can be summed up with two statements:

1) Deuce is back
2) Pulisic is here

Those two together looked magical. Good efforts by a lot of people including Altidore, Nagbe, Cameron, etc. But two players absolutely flipped this game on its head. Fantastic...

Reaction Score
This game can be summed up with two statements:

1) Deuce is back
2) Pulisic is here

Those two together looked magical. Good efforts by a lot of people including Altidore, Nagbe, Cameron, etc. But two players absolutely flipped this game on its head. Fantastic...

What worried me before the game was that Pulisic doesn't have the likes of Dembele and Aubamayang to combine with. But what really happened is it gave Dempsey another top class talent to play off of and he made guys like Lletget who couldn't even get on the team sheet at West Ham look good. Even Altidore..

And I will actually praise Arena for taking attacking mindset at home. There was no compromise there. I wouldn't expect that same mindset on the road against Panama by but I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Armchair Analyst: Bruce is back as US beat Honduras like a drum

There is an OPTA chart in there with CP's incomplete passes. He simply does better on the wing, even still he was pretty effective.

A lot of last night's formation was dictated by trying to deal creatively with all the injuries. Obviously, we learned that Arena isn't thrilled with Klejstan, but I'm guessing that when Wood returns you might see him in the Dempsey role, Dempsey in the Pulisic role and Fabian and Pulisic on the wings.

It hasn't gotten a lot of talk, but playing Villafana over Demarcus, and it working, is a huge step forward for this team. I thought Villafana had a quiet but competent game, but if we have some youth and speed at left back to pair with speed at right back in Yedlin and Fabian being allowed to play forward, the odds of moving our level of play forward have gone way up

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What worried me before the game was that Pulisic doesn't have the likes of Dembele and Aubamayang to combine with. But what really happened is it gave Dempsey another top class talent to play off of and he made guys like Lletget who couldn't even get on the team sheet at West Ham look good. Even Altidore..

And I will actually praise Arena for taking attacking mindset at home. There was no compromise there. I wouldn't expect that same mindset on the road against Panama by but I hope I am wrong.

This reminds me of the Donovan-Dempsey combo. The offensive production those two had together vs when they were apart was night and day. I used to crack up when people would argue the change was due to the coaching or formation. Nope...it's that the world class player had another world class player next to him finally.

And that's what happened last night in a nutshell. Give Arena credit for the selection of key personnel (Lletget, Cameron wide, Nagbe on the wing, etc.). But ultimately Honduras had no answer for our two superstars...

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the Donovan-Dempsey combo. The offensive production those two had together vs when they were apart was night and day. I used to crack up when people would argue the change was due to the coaching or formation. Nope...it's that the world class player had another world class player next to him finally.

And that's what happened last night in a nutshell. Give Arena credit for the selection of key personnel (Lletget, Cameron wide, Nagbe on the wing, etc.). But ultimately Honduras had no answer for our two superstars...

Actually, Honduras had no answer for anything. Without taking anything away from us, it was frankly shocking how bad they were.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
A lot of last night's formation was dictated by trying to deal creatively with all the injuries. Obviously, we learned that Arena isn't thrilled with Klejstan, but I'm guessing that when Wood returns you might see him in the Dempsey role, Dempsey in the Pulisic role and Fabian and Pulisic on the wings.

It hasn't gotten a lot of talk, but playing Villafana over Demarcus, and it working, is a huge step forward for this team. I thought Villafana had a quiet but competent game, but if we have some youth and speed at left back to pair with speed at right back in Yedlin and Fabian being allowed to play forward, the odds of moving our level of play forward have gone way up

Villafana definitely had a solid game. As for the strike force, I was quietly wondering what happens when Wood comes back. There isn't a chance in hell that Dempsey or Pulisic sits, which leads me to believe that either Dempsey goes back to the attacking midfield role or that Altidore sits, with the latter being perhaps more likely I would think. Which would be interesting to me because Altidore had been on a good run over the past 6 months or longer...

Reaction Score
Biz, he's the most complete player we've ever had - and he's so much better than Landon. It's painful to hear those comparisons. He needs to be compared to Hazard and other class 10s

That's what he is

Reaction Score
Biz, he's the most complete player we've ever had - and he's so much better than Landon. It's painful to hear those comparisons. He needs to be compared to Hazard and other class 10s

That's what he is

Exactly he is closer to Hazard than Landycakes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's what he is

Without putting pressure on him, he could become our first real international star. If he keeps this up through Russia, Bundisliga won't be able to keep him.

Reaction Score
Had some down time yesterday while watching England v Lithuania, and decided to look at the history of the Hex, and how many points it generally takes to ensure 3rd or 4th place. I am very confident the US will finish top 3, and probably top 2 (I believed we'd be top 3 before the thrashing of Honduras ... but, I thought I'd play the numbers game as it was a cold, dreary Sunday in NYC and the wife was out most of the afternoon, so had some free time)

Over the past 5 Hex's (when they went to this format), the fewest points a 3rd place team has earned was 14 (Jamaica in 1998), and the most was 17 (the US in 2002). The fewest points a 4th place team has earned was 11 (Mexico in 2014), and the most was 16 (Honduras in 2014).

Considering that, 14 total points should be enough to secure 4th place, and a home & home play-off against a team from Asia (probably one of Uzbekistan, Australia, or Japan), and 16 points should secure 3rd place. The US, sitting with 3 points today, has 21 points available to get in their next 7 matches. H/H v. T&T, H/H v. Panama, @Honduras, @ Mexico, and H v Costa Rica. Putting my magic hat on, I think we get all 6 v. T&T, 4 of 6 v. Panama (predicting a draw tomorrow), 1 @ Honduras, 0 @ Mexico, and 3 v Costa Rica. This will safely put the US in top 3 with 17 points. Any unexpected losses (meaning anyone but Mexico) will make things very interesting, and a little 'nervie' going in to the final 2 matches in October (Panama home on 10/6, and T&T away on 10/10). If you are any team, you want enough hay in the barn going in to those October matches.The plus side is teams from Central America always seem to neutralize one another, and nothing is a given. I am not at all concerned about not finishing in the top 4 (actually think we will finish top 2), but you do not want to be in that play-off match up v. a team from AFC. Last cycle CONCACAF played Oceanic, and Mexico got New Zealand.. a much easier match up than a team from AFC.

Now, would you rather have complete mayhem tomorrow, or have all the bigger teams win? Mayhem is T&T over CR, Honduras over Mex, and of course US over Pan, making the standings Mexico (7 pts), US, CR, Hond, T&T all with 6 pts), and Panama with 4 points. This keeps everyone in play, but makes it pretty messy. OR.... US, Mex, and CR all win, more clearly separating the top 3 a bit form the field.... I want mayhem.

Reaction Score
Had some down time yesterday while watching England v Lithuania, and decided to look at the history of the Hex, and how many points it generally takes to ensure 3rd or 4th place. I am very confident the US will finish top 3, and probably top 2 (I believed we'd be top 3 before the thrashing of Honduras ... but, I thought I'd play the numbers game as it was a cold, dreary Sunday in NYC and the wife was out most of the afternoon, so had some free time)

Over the past 5 Hex's (when they went to this format), the fewest points a 3rd place team has earned was 14 (Jamaica in 1998), and the most was 17 (the US in 2002). The fewest points a 4th place team has earned was 11 (Mexico in 2014), and the most was 16 (Honduras in 2014).

Considering that, 14 total points should be enough to secure 4th place, and a home & home play-off against a team from Asia (probably one of Uzbekistan, Australia, or Japan), and 16 points should secure 3rd place. The US, sitting with 3 points today, has 21 points available to get in their next 7 matches. H/H v. T&T, H/H v. Panama, @Honduras, @ Mexico, and H v Costa Rica. Putting my magic hat on, I think we get all 6 v. T&T, 4 of 6 v. Panama (predicting a draw tomorrow), 1 @ Honduras, 0 @ Mexico, and 3 v Costa Rica. This will safely put the US in top 3 with 17 points. Any unexpected losses (meaning anyone but Mexico) will make things very interesting, and a little 'nervie' going in to the final 2 matches in October (Panama home on 10/6, and T&T away on 10/10). If you are any team, you want enough hay in the barn going in to those October matches.The plus side is teams from Central America always seem to neutralize one another, and nothing is a given. I am not at all concerned about not finishing in the top 4 (actually think we will finish top 2), but you do not want to be in that play-off match up v. a team from AFC. Last cycle CONCACAF played Oceanic, and Mexico got New Zealand.. a much easier match up than a team from AFC.

Now, would you rather have complete mayhem tomorrow, or have all the bigger teams win? Mayhem is T&T over CR, Honduras over Mex, and of course US over Pan, making the standings Mexico (7 pts), US, CR, Hond, T&T all with 6 pts), and Panama with 4 points. This keeps everyone in play, but makes it pretty messy. OR.... US, Mex, and CR all win, more clearly separating the top 3 a bit form the field.... I want mayhem.

We've won the Hex what -- the last three times? I don't think we can win it this year. Having said that, there isn't a difference between finishing second and finishing third. Win matches and qualify -- that's it.

No mayhem. As far as I'm concerned, CR and Mexico can win out except when we play them, and let the three of us have spots wrapped up before the final two matches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So here is the question for tonight. Pulisic obviously won huge acclaim Friday night playing in the center of the pitch. But that was with Jermaine Jones which opened up room in the middle. With Jermaine back, Arena has one of four choices it would seem:

1. Keep Jones on the bench, only change what you have to change, so keep Pulisic where he was and Bedoya on the right

2. Play Jones for Bedoya on the right and leave Pulisic where he was.

3. Play Jones in his usual spot in the center and push Pulisic out wide.

4. Play Jones in the center, push Pulisic forward into Dempsey's role and determine that Dempsey can't be ready yet to play a second 90 minutes on four days rest with major air travel in between.

What should Arena do? What will Arena do? I think that if Dempsey thinks he can give you 60 you leave everything alone and let Jones come off the bench, but I have no clue if Arena will see it the same way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So here is the question for tonight. Pulisic obviously won huge acclaim Friday night playing in the center of the pitch. But that was with Jermaine Jones which opened up room in the middle. With Jermaine back, Arena has one of four choices it would seem:

1. Keep Jones on the bench, only change what you have to change, so keep Pulisic where he was and Bedoya on the right

4. Play Jones in the center, push Pulisic forward into Dempsey's role and determine that Dempsey can't be ready yet to play a second 90 minutes on four days rest with major air travel in between.

What should Arena do? What will Arena do? I think that if Dempsey thinks he can give you 60 you leave everything alone and let Jones come off the bench, but I have no clue if Arena will see it the same way.

If I'm Arena, I don't change a thing (Option 1). This will be a real test of what he thinks of a few players and where he thinks they should play. I have to admit that I have never been a huge fan of Jones as an attacking midfielder. He gives you strength on the ball and great defensive tackles (reminds me of a bigger Gattuso), but when he is on the field, the attack always seems slower to me. Slower to switch fields and slower to connect to the forwards.

I know what Klinsmann would have done. I have no idea at all what Arena is going to do...

Reaction Score
If I'm Arena, I don't change a thing (Option 1). This will be a real test of what he thinks of a few players and where he thinks they should play. I have to admit that I have never been a huge fan of Jones as an attacking midfielder. He gives you strength on the ball and great defensive tackles (reminds me of a bigger Gattuso), but when he is on the field, the attack always seems slower to me. Slower to switch fields and slower to connect to the forwards.

I know what Klinsmann would have done. I have no idea at all what Arena is going to do...

Klimsman would play Jones first, and figure out what it means for everyone else second. Based on past experience, I would expect he'd leave Pulisic alone and just play Jones wide for Bedoya.

But Arena -- not a clue here.

Reaction Score
I agree, and if Dempsey feels fit I hope Arena leaves the front 6 as they finished v. Honduras.... and sub in Jones after 55-60 minutes for whichever Forward is looking/feeling worse for the wear (pushing Pulisic up top).

It really is an interesting situation, and it goes deeper than just Dempsey/Pulisic/Jones because of Brooks being out. Due to the injuries and make shift back four, I would not be surprised to see Jones start, with Pulisic on the wing (with the freedom to play inside - out), because Jones can be a more physical presence defending between the two goal boxes, maybe relieving a little pressure from the back 4.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I agree, and if Dempsey feels fit I hope Arena leaves the front 6 as they finished v. Honduras.... and sub in Jones after 55-60 minutes for whichever Forward is looking/feeling worse for the wear (pushing Pulisic up top).

It really is an interesting situation, and it goes deeper than just Dempsey/Pulisic/Jones because of Brooks being out. Due to the injuries and make shift back four, I would not be surprised to see Jones start, with Pulisic on the wing (with the freedom to play inside - out), because Jones can be a more physical presence defending between the two goal boxes, maybe relieving a little pressure from the back 4.

I think Ream goes in for Brooks as a straight swap. I'm not sure Brooks being out will affect how the attack looks. If he doesn't want Ream, he could even go with Zimmerman, but I'm guessing that he won't do that.

It may be more likely that he puts Pulisic back in his more familiar wing role to leave Jones in the middle of the park, as you mentioned. I don't think that Jones is a good choice out wide, for the reasons that I've already mentioned. If it is a choice of being out wide for him, I'd rather have Bedoya and Nagbe. Arena may also change the formation in order to accommodate Jones as well (who knows?). He went with what in principle was almost a 4-1-4-1 in the last game since Jozy was higher than Dempsey and Bradley was deeper than the rest of the midfield. Does he swap that for a different look? I'd rather he didn't. I'd rather he just stays with what seems to be working already...

Reaction Score

2 would be a disaster, and 3 seems to me to be stupid and unnecessary. 1 and 4 should be the only options, depending on Dempsey's readiness.

Reaction Score

I think we will see 4-5 changes. If Jones starts then we will probably see Pulisic on one side and Bedoya on the other. I think Pulisic will get free reign to roam all over the place like he did the other night. Dempsey is just as match fit as anyone else, actually he might be more fresh than the guys who played all fall.

Reaction Score

He has to make at least one change because Lletget is out.

Reaction Score

Arena likes Jones just as much as JK did. But Arena will play Jones in a Box to Box role. I think Pulisic will be a free electron turning up in dangerous spots, combining with Jozy and Dempsey.

It wasn't like Pulisic was in a fixed position, he was all over the field the other night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom