USMNT Rising | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USMNT Rising

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite soccer team is the USMNT. My favorite college football team is UConn. So I have experience of being a fan of a team that has made a bad hire. More than once. It doesn't end well.

Reaction Score
I would argue that MLS itself is at a crossroads. Is MLS in place just to make its owners money or is it there to make money and improve the game overall in the US. Expansion fees, no regulation, no development payments, pay-to play, etc. all point to making money and that's it. The big concern is that the money making bent also seems to have a big influence with the USMNT now as MLS looks to be trying to make the national program a marketing arm of MLS with less concern about envelopment and progression of the US soccer game.

I don’t think MLS sees itself as the primary driver of player development. They wants $ and ratings so they will sign the best players they can.

I think they definitely want to have as much influence over the USMNT as possible because it is their best penetration into non MLS watching fans. Like if you are a big Wil Trapp fan then you might tune in to see the Columbus Crew.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think they definitely want to have as much influence over the USMNT as possible because it is their best penetration into non MLS watching fans. Like if you are a big Wil Trapp fan then you might tune in to see the Columbus Crew.

No doubt. And that's why the team spent last summer at home.

Reaction Score
They are rolliing out a no name team tonight. Not surprised if they draw poorly.

Reaction Score
They are rolliing out a no name team tonight. Not surprised if they draw poorly.

They will probably draw poorly until 2026. And they deserve it. Can’t believe that Michael Bradley is still allowed within a mile of the team.

Reaction Score
They will probably draw poorly until 2026. And they deserve it. Can’t believe that Michael Bradley is still allowed within a mile of the team.
I'm beginning to suspect you don't like Bradley.

Reaction Score
FWIW - Bradley played well last night in the 6 role. Was happy to see the captaincy given elsewhere, I think that goes a long way. All in all, solid performance last night (albeit vs a weak panama side), thought they looked hungry and chased the game with a ton of energy. 3-0 result is just what we needed to kick off a new Era. I'm sure lots of folks will poke holes , but a win is a win and for the first time in a while, I enjoyed watching 90mins of US Soccer.

Reaction Score
FWIW - Bradley played well last night in the 6 role. Was happy to see the captaincy given elsewhere, I think that goes a long way. All in all, solid performance last night (albeit vs a weak panama side), thought they looked hungry and chased the game with a ton of energy. 3-0 result is just what we needed to kick off a new Era. I'm sure lots of folks will poke holes , but a win is a win and for the first time in a while, I enjoyed watching 90mins of US Soccer.

Pretty solid showing against a World Cup qualifier’s C Team. We should be really strong this cycle. I thought Bradley’s backwards and sideways passes were world class.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid showing against a World Cup qualifier’s C Team. We should be really strong this cycle. I thought Bradley’s backwards and sideways passes were world class.
Yawn.

Reaction Score
Panama reminded me of a football team that never gets past the 50 yard line. They we stuck in ther own end all night. That said, you could watch the American side become more and more comfortable over time. That was nice to see. Ultimately it all comes to nothing, which wouldn't have been true if we lost.

Reaction Score
Panama reminded me of a football team that never gets past the 50 yard line. They we stuck in ther own end all night. That said, you could watch the American side become more and more comfortable over time. That was nice to see. Ultimately it all comes to nothing, which wouldn't have been true if we lost.
All true, but my biggest takeaway from last nights game was how bad this version of the Panama team was.

Reaction Score

And it identified a style that the 'new' USMNT seems to be learning towards (possession, though how such a strategy will work against a quality side in the Gold Cup will be interesting to see) and a few players like
Mihailovic, Rodan and Zimmerman who could sniff the senior team going down the road.

As for Bradley, in a game like this with a young, inexperienced team against a Concacaf B team, I have no issue with him being on the pitch to provide experience when most of the other experienced non-US based players are not available. He played well within his role (I do like him in a deep central midfield role over an attacking midfield role as he seems much more comfortable). I also think he knows that he is not in the plan for 2020, so serving as the team's elder statesman in 2019 is his one shot to re-build his rep after the nightmare 2018 was.

PS - USMNT leadership needs to get its head of of their collective arses. With the nightmare of 2018 suffocating the programs in a game featuring a USMNT non-name team (no disrespect intended) against a Concacaf team not from Mexico, playing at a 63,000 seat stadium was foolish and it showed. The game drew maybe 20K. Horrible optics for a program that needs an infusion of energy. I get the game had to be played down south as its winter (imagine playing at Minnesota United's pitch later in the week when the high for MSP is supposed to be -10F with -50F windchill); but, MLS has 20K stadiums in San Jose, LA (2x), Houston, Dallas, and Orlando that would have been better suited.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That’s what I thought about watching 11 no hopers from Camp Cupcake.
Well Camp Cupcake is for finding a player or two who might be able to help down the road. So that's really all you can expect.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'd say we should make him a defender, except than all he could do is score own goals since he doesn't remember how to kick the ball in the other direction.

Reaction Score
6,000 in attendance. Down the street, WWE sold out for Royal Rumble, which is planned one year in advance. Why would US Soccer choose the same city and night to go head to head against an event that will win the casual sports/entertainment fan 9.5 times out of 10?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think there was much to take away from this match. Panama had no interest in anything going forward. The entire game was played between the 18's, even with three goals.

If you are looking for takes here are mine FWIW.

If GB is going to insist on a quasi 3-4-3, we are going to need better players.

At least they had a plan on offense and admit I haven't seen that many pull backs to the trailing runner from the US in about ever.

Most of the technical skills seemed poor, the ball was bouncing all over.

Zardes has no business as a central striker.

Steffan's save was top notch, too bad he is going to be riding the bench at Man City. Hopefully they loan him out to a lower table EPL team.

All in all, it's Camp Cupcake, a bunch of guys got a taste of the senior team.

Reaction Score
Why would US Soccer choose the same city and night to go head to head against an event that will win the casual sports/entertainment fan 9.5 times out of 10?
Intl soccer vs WWE crossover? Even among casual sports fans? WWE’s even a sport? Seriously? ;)

Different contributing take: 2 “C” teams with rosters most US American soccer fans let alone casual sports fans know jack shiite about, game not involving Mexico nor a Central American nation with a large base in or near PHX, etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom