OT: - USMNT losing big to Trinidad &Tobago | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: USMNT losing big to Trinidad &Tobago

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
There are two issues here. One is the matter of putting together a first rate men's team. The other is the presentation and marketing of soccer in the USA.

On the latter point, I find it hard to identify with soccer when the American game broadcasts sound like the BBC after three Martinis. "Nil to nil," your arse. Every sport that has succeeded in the US was either invented here, or was adapted to the way Americans think and communicate. As long as the trappings, language, customs, and reportage of soccer are attached to the European umbilical cord, it will lack both in audience popularity and popularity with athletes.

With the significant questions that have been raised about the health risks in American football, a serious makeover of soccer could do wonders, and attract a new audience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USA is in probably the EASIEST Region in FIBA Soccer and its inexcusable for TEAM USA not to make the World Cup. TEAM USA probably spends more money on USA Soccer then any other country in its region with the possible exception of Brazil. There's no excuse losing to a team like Trinidad and Tobago.
US Mens soccer is an abomination. After all the years, coaches and money, we have developed a single, world class level player. A team like Germany or France has an entire roster of such. We need a " re-boot." New leaders and new approaches. Soccer is gaining in popularity in the US, but respect for the game amongst young male athletes isn't happening. The best athletes still go to other sports.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...We need a " re-boot." New leaders and new approaches. Soccer is gaining in popularity in the US, but respect for the game amongst young male athletes isn't happening. The best athletes still go to other sports.

True. Where I live (central Illinois), soccer is very popular with youngsters. Every family With young kids that I know are busy with games every Saturday morning. We are adding new soccer fields every year. The problem occurs when the kids get to high school. The American high school football establishment does recruit among the soccer kids, which of course depletes the player pool.

High schools here seem to have a knack for channeling fan and parent support, money, and involvement. The beneficiary of this "good old boy" thinking is football.

But...the number of parents who refuse to allow their sons to play football is also growing, and there is far less stigma associated with such decisions. For my money, these parents are the smart ones; who cares what anybody else thinks of their choice.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There are two issues here. One is the matter of putting together a first rate men's team. The other is the presentation and marketing of soccer in the USA.

On the latter point, I find it hard to identify with soccer when the American game broadcasts sound like the BBC after three Martinis. "Nil to nil," your arse. Every sport that has succeeded in the US was either invented here, or was adapted to the way Americans think and communicate. As long as the trappings, language, customs, and reportage of soccer are attached to the European umbilical cord, it will lack both in audience popularity and popularity with athletes.

With the significant questions that have been raised about the health risks in American football, a serious makeover of soccer could do wonders, and attract a new audience.
Well, it has a uniquely non-European name in "soccer." Is that not enough?

Also, doesn't hockey use the "nil" as well?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Well, it has a uniquely non-European name in "soccer." Is that not enough? Also, doesn't hockey use the "nil" as well?

Q1: No
Q2: Not to my knowledge

I'm not into American exceptionalism. I watch and enjoy programs from other countries. But the notion that soccer cannot be broadcast in the USA without at least one Brit on the mike makes me cringe. The game has European roots; I get that. But we need to build an American storefront for soccer that connects with the desired target market.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
But the notion that soccer cannot be broadcast in the USA without at least one Brit on the mike makes me cringe.

It's not only Brits in the broadcast booth, but also coaching our youth on the field. Anyone with a British accent living to America can find employment teaching our sons and daughters soccer regardless of their lack of technical expertise in the sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom