USMNT GM Announced today at 2pm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT GM Announced today at 2pm

Reaction Score
Do we know if Boca or Claudio would have taken the job? Do we know whether it pays a lot compared to what they are getting now?

US Soccer is far more profitable than any MLS team. If it was a matter of money then it would have been met.

Supporting the Stewart hire is your typical Businesslawyer “tee off with a 3 iron on a par 5 move”. Sort of like hiring Bruce Arena. What could go wrong?

Reaction Score
US Soccer is far more profitable than any MLS team. If it was a matter of money then it would have been met.

Supporting the Stewart hire is your typical Businesslawyer “tee off with a 3 iron on a par 5 move”. Sort of like hiring Bruce Arena. What could go wrong?

No, I understand your desire for a more successful soccer executive in the role here. Although, unlike the coach, I do think this had to be someone with strong U.S. ties. I just don't know how important USSA views this position, and thus what it is going to pay. Is this just a spokesman/intermediary between the Chair and on field decisions? Or is more akin to being a GM of a pro franchise?

I tend to think from the hire that it's going to be the latter, and that it's a good position, but not a critical one compared to the coach. In which case I think Stewart is fine. If this is more akin to a real GM, then I think your position that a successful GM is correct. After all, whether we hire a coach from South America, MLS or Europe, no one is going to want is to hire an unsuccessful one. (Well, other than those who liked Allerdyce's name being floated).

Reaction Score

More importantly, I hit a driver much better than a 3 iron, and I can't reach in two even with a driver so lay off.

Reaction Score
No, I understand your desire for a more successful soccer executive in the role here. Although, unlike the coach, I do think this had to be someone with strong U.S. ties. I just don't know how important USSA views this position, and thus what it is going to pay. Is this just a spokesman/intermediary between the Chair and on field decisions? Or is more akin to being a GM of a pro franchise?

I tend to think from the hire that it's going to be the latter, and that it's a good position, but not a critical one compared to the coach. In which case I think Stewart is fine. If this is more akin to a real GM, then I think your position that a successful GM is correct. After all, whether we hire a coach from South America, MLS or Europe, no one is going to want is to hire an unsuccessful one. (Well, other than those who liked Allerdyce's name being floated).

What's changed since U.S. failed to qualify for 2018 World Cup? Sadly, nothing

Not good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure where you get that one from hoss. That’s a pretty good analogy.

He’s not that accomplished. His powers are limited to the USMNT, this is a feel good hire.

I think there were better choices available, Garth Lagerwey for one.

Claudio Reyna (NYCFC GM)

Carlos Bocanegra (ATL United GM)

So now MLS guys are ok?????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I assume that was what we are limiting ourselves too. Those two would be better choices IMO.
Possibly. Although Stewart has more experience.

Reaction Score
I assume that was what we are limiting ourselves too. Those two would be better choices IMO.
Did Reyna or Bocanegra even pursue the USSF GM opportunity? Better choices albeit challenging for those on the outside to ascertain, but perhaps Stewart's on-the-ground European management background, being raised in the Netherlands, and experience from a Dutch youth program to pro were differentiators relative to Reyna's and Bocanegra's non-existent European management experience. Idle ponderings, and without any suggestion US born and raised Reyna and Bocanegra didn't learn anything about European soccer, youth programs, etc. playing for multiple European clubs.

Reaction Score
Did Reyna or Bocanegra even pursue the USSF GM opportunity? Better choices albeit challenging for those on the outside to ascertain, but perhaps Stewart's on-the-ground European management background, being raised in the Netherlands, and experience from a Dutch youth program to pro were differentiators relative to Reyna's and Bocanegra's non-existent European management experience. Idle ponderings, and without any suggestion US born and raised Reyna and Bocanegra didn't learn anything about European soccer, youth programs, etc. playing for multiple European clubs.

Reyna and Bocanegra played in Europe extensively. I wouldn’t put much stock into Stewart’s European management experience which was in selling clubs of a selling league. It’s not like he was running even Ajax.

Reaction Score
Reyna and Bocanegra played in Europe extensively. I wouldn’t put much stock into Stewart’s European management experience which was in selling clubs of a selling league. It’s not like he was running even Ajax.
Of course, you wouldn't put much stock in anything regarding Stewart including his actual management with 3 Erdivisie clubs versus no response regarding Reyna's nor Bocanegra's respective dearth of European management experience nor insight on whether either expressed any USSF GM interest. You have an argument to argue; supporting evidence be damned.

Reaction Score
Of course, you wouldn't put much stock in anything regarding Stewart including his actual management with 3 Erdivisie clubs versus no response regarding Reyna's nor Bocanegra's respective dearth of European management experience nor insight on whether either expressed any USSF GM interest. You have an argument to argue; supporting evidence be damned.

I only care about results. If he did a good job and delivered results in Europe he would still be there.

He's done a really unremarkable job in Philly. I don't see much worth defending in terms of his accomplishments because there really aren't any noteworthy ones.

Besides, he has basically zero authority over anything. This is a figurehead position as it turns. The powers that be aren't interested in change.

Reaction Score
Not sure where you get that one from hoss. That’s a pretty good analogy.

He’s not that accomplished. His powers are limited to the USMNT, this is a feel good hire.

I think there were better choices available, Garth Lagerwey for one.

According to Stewart he has on,y one boss and that he will be the one who dictates the style of play. That would not seem to be a "limited' power.

Reaction Score
According to Stewart he has on,y one boss and that he will be the one who dictates the style of play. That would not seem to be a "limited' power.

He doesn't even have hiring or firing ability. Has no control or authority over the U-23s or any other youth teams. He has oversight over some things and "Logistics" it's all very nebulous. It's such a joke I am suprised they even bothered creating the position.

The whole style of play piece is hilarious. Good luck finding a manager that wants to have to take orders from Stewart. Better yet, they get a good enough manager it's likely he won't have to even listen to him.

Reaction Score
He doesn't even have hiring or firing ability. Has no control or authority over the U-23s or any other youth teams. He has oversight over some things and "Logistics" it's all very nebulous. It's such a joke I am suprised they even bothered creating the position.

The whole style of play piece is hilarious. Good luck finding a manager that wants to have to take orders from Stewart. Better yet, they get a good enough manager it's likely he won't have to even listen to him.

If you listen to Steward. He will recommend the head coach. He will dictate the style of play.

If you listen to Steward. His job is NOT well defined.

You can pick any point of view from this conversation. Only two minutes long.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

If you listen to Steward. He will recommend the head coach. He will dictate the style of play.

If you listen to Steward. His job is NOT well defined.

You can pick any point of view from this conversation. Only two minutes long.

I agree the GM job is not very well defined. I don't see any evidence though that Bocanegra or Reyna would be better at this undefined job than Stewart.

Reaction Score
He’s Got a Winning Record. So Why Do Mexican Fans Want the Coach Fired?

Just hire this guy now. Not that it matters but he is practically American.
Not that it matters, but most of us likely never knew Osorio played for and graduated from Southern Connecticut State. Yup, Osorio just wins; just not by enough for many Los Mexicanos. The Germany win may win a few hearts south of El Rio Grande, but if not El Profesor would likely satisfy many Yanks in spite of and perhaps due to the following humorous comments"

"'If Osorio is such a good coach, why isn’t he managing the Colombian team?' said Hugo Sánchez, a former national team coach and Mexico star.

Fans complain that Osorio is too analytical — 'Profesor' they call him, not entirely out of respect. They wave off the many teams Osorio has beaten as second rate, and fixate on the handful of games he has lost. Most of all, they complain that he is not Mexican.

'It’s a matter of identity,' Sánchez said. The relentlessly negative Mexican news media, which is given very little access to Osorio and the national team, only amplifies these complaints.
"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom