USMNT Callups for Sept Friendlies | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USMNT Callups for Sept Friendlies

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was pathetic from our guy.
Oh contraire.

"It was normal. We talked a little smack. It's part of the game," said Miazga about his set-to with Lainez. "It's mental warfare. We got in their heads and they got a red card right after that. You saw what happened. We took control and we won the game."

Reaction Score
Miazga wanted his Gooch moment.

hqdefault.jpg

Lainez did run circles around us though.

My all time favorite moment from a U.S. -- Mexico match was when Benny Fielhaber went to the ground in our defensive half, and three or four Mexican players, seeing the thin Jew on the ground, started stomping him. Then Gooch and Tim Howard came running into the crowd, and every Mexican who had been so tough put their arms up saying "who, me?"

So while I think Miazga was somewhat out of line, as long as we're not talking physical violence anything goes in this rivalry. That's what a rivalry is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rather see some emotion than not. Felt like the edge has been lacking since Jermaine Jones left

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rather see some emotion than not. Felt like the edge has been lacking since Jermaine Jones left
Exactly. People have been complaining about lack of emotion, especially in T&T.

Reaction Score
Good one - thanks for sharing

“That’s what I think we’re missing right now in America. We have the players, we have the talent, but we don’t have the coaches who can teach them. I think that’s our biggest problem, especially with the youth.”

My bold for emphasis. In Spain and other places, coaches take pride in coaching a 10 year old Iniesta, and seek to coach the next 10 year old Iniesta. In the US, coaches get 'moved up' with success. We need strong coaches at all crucial phases of development

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Probably my favorite USMNT player in the last 10 years. As for Miazga, the little guy (who is going to give the US fits for a decade), clipped him from behind. They bantered back and forth for a second before Miazga told him to settle down little man.

When their guys start getting pelted with bags of urine or Chicharito gets sent off for simulation, they can complain.

Reaction Score
Probably my favorite USMNT player in the last 10 years. As for Miazga, the little guy (who is going to give the US fits for a decade), clipped him from behind. They bantered back and forth for a second before Miazga told him to settle down little man.

When their guys start getting pelted with bags of urine or Chicharito gets sent off for simulation, they can complain.

His goal against Portugal was beast mode.

I saw him play in KC when he started out with New England. His skills and athleticism were on a different plane than everyone else.

A year later, not so much.

I loved how he and Geoff Cameron stuck by Jurgen. Many of our players are a bunch of sensitive .

The guy had a great career. I hope he sticks around. I would like to see him stay involved on the NT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I think it's worth bringing out: “Christian Pulisic played kids soccer in America,” Jones said of the 19-year-old Borussia Dortmund and USMNT star. “He really learned his game in Germany. And if he had stayed here, he would not be that Christian Pulisic he is now. That’s the truth.”

And that why he will never get a sniff at influencing the USMNT.

Reaction Score
I think it's worth bringing out: “Christian Pulisic played kids soccer in America,” Jones said of the 19-year-old Borussia Dortmund and USMNT star. “He really learned his game in Germany. And if he had stayed here, he would not be that Christian Pulisic he is now. That’s the truth.”

And that why he will never get a sniff at influencing the USMNT.

Yeah he’s done. He made the wrong noises.

Short of a hostile takeover of the USSF by people who actually want to do what it takes to progress the USMNT is basically hamstrung by MLS/SUM.

Reaction Score
Who is our best XI?

I don't think we know who "our" best XI is yet, but here is the XI that I would be looking to start if healthy:

Steffen
Yedlin CCV Miazga Robinson
Adams McKinnie Pulisic
Morris Weah Sargent

Reaction Score
I don't think we know who "our" best XI is yet, but here is the XI that I would be looking to start if healthy:

Steffen
Yedlin CCV Miazga Robinson
Adams McKinnie Pulisic
Morris Weah Sargent
I think I'd go with Julian Green over Morris, but other than that, I like the youth movement you have. I also think we need guys like Fabian Johnson, Bradley, Altidore, Guzan at least available and with the team to provide some experience/leadership. I'm not saying those guys should play the full 40, but I do think we need some veterans available. While none of them might be part of the "best" XI individually, if they can provide leadership and communication on the field, it may result in a better XI (even if individually they may be past their prime). I think of a guy like Moussa Dembele for Tottenham. Doesn't have the pace, doesn't always have the best touch, but he is a calming and controlling presence out there who can pick teams apart with his passes. When he was playing his best soccer, I thought Bradley played that role well.

Who's Morris?

Jordan Morris - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
I caught all but the first 10 minutes of the match. Overall, until the face-off between Miazga and Lainez and then the sunsequent Red Card after, the US was listless with few ideas how to get the ball through the midfield against a very young Mexican team, which surprised me. They need more energy and bite, such as a Dempsey like personality. The scrum and the Red Card really changed to game.

Steffen - Busting his but to become the #1 US keeper, good for him considering there's a lot of competition now in the mix. For the Gld Cup down the road, I woudl like to see Howard and Guzan around just to serve as a mentor, especially on distribution and the mental side.

Moore - Did his job again. Does need to work forward a bit more.

Miazga - Keep fighting young man.

Trapp - I expected him to be over-matched against a veteran Brazil team, against an equally young Mexican team, no. He's does not appear to have the ability to run that central midfield role going both ways by himself.

Weah/McKinnie/Zardes/Wood - The US needs to get the ball forward to this players/postilions at lot more. Lost too many balls in the midfield or on long-shot, 50/50 passes way up field.

Robinson - Stepped-up in a big way after an awful game against Brazil, good for him.

Yedlin - Still the best US back who also works his way forward well.

There were some odd coaching choice, too. Lichaj is not a left back, which made the US team really vulerable on his side of the field and also limited the opportunity to connect with Weah. Not sure why Acosta was on the outside, even after Grene came-on. Much rather see him in the middle with McKennie and Green on the outside. I am also very glad that McKennie's injury does not appear to be serious as originally feared as it looked like it was a non-contact knee injury. Overall, I'd rather see a 4 man-back line and 5 midfielders with 2 CDM's to help distribute the ball and the commons sense to stay back when one of the back pushes forward to cover, 2 wingers (McKennie, Weah, Green, etc.) to flash speed and stretch-out the field, an offensive minded CAM (Pulisic) to quarterback things up front and then a holding forward (Altidore, Wood, Sarget, etc.) to serve as a pest and point-man up top.

Also on that note, when the heck is USSF going to pick a coach? Its a huge decsion and right now, it seems to be held hostage by the MLS season, which is not the right optic.

As for Mexico, Lainez is going to be a royal pain in the arse for a long-term to come. I respect that.

As for Zaldivar, a studs-up, late tackle over the ball into the defender's leg is a straight red is just about any game. A for being dirty, in light of Mexico's on-field antics, fan behavior (how many times as FIFA fined them for their homophobic chant?), etc, its not even worth responding to.

Mexico's Zaldivar: U.S. tried to play 'dirty game'

PS - Any catch the Neymar picked-up a Yellow for simulation and ranted about it saying it was disrespectful. Just sad.

Neymar diving: 'It has to end' - Brazil captain claims 'lack of respect' after yellow card for diving in win over El Salvador | Goal.com

Reaction Score
Are there fans (not people connected with MLS etc, but fans) that actually still argue our players aren't better off developing overseas???? It's so obvious.

Yes. And MLS makes it really difficult to leave MLS and go to Europe. That’s why you are seeing many players go direct to Europe.

Reaction Score
I don't know why, and I don't think I should, but I still rate Jordan Morris. I think the kid has potential to play for the MNT if he can stay healthy and, to the points made above, leave MLS and grow overseas. I don't think we have seen the last of him.

Agree, thinking about it now, that Green should start in that XI over JM

Reaction Score
USMNT roster for the next two friendlies, including the match againts Peru at the Rent on October 16th . A few new faces, a few old faces; but, still generally a young team.

I am hoping that someone can get Weah the ball and I like Sargent as a poacher. Would like to see Guzan for one game and Horvath in net for the second as we have seen Steffen. I don't think having Bradley to share some experiences of Hex and cup games is OK, just don't expect him to be around the pitch for either. Also really need to see who works well with Pulisic. Oh, and a coach who won't screw this up.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 58/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 34/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 0/0), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City/WAL; 5/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Matt Miazga (Nantes/FRA; 9/1), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic/ENG; 4/0),
 Ben Sweat (New York City FC; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 54/0)
MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 19/1), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 7/1), Jonathan Amon (Nordsjaelland/DEN; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 140/17), Julian Green (Greuther Furth/GER; 12/4), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 6/1), 
Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 21/9), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 2/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; 5/1)
FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Fortuna Sittard/NED; 2/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 3/1), Bobby Wood (Hannover 96/GER; 41/12)

Reaction Score
Pulisic with a calf injury. Likely out for the meaningless friendliest.

Reaction Score
Pulisic with a calf injury. Likely out for the meaningless friendliest.

Damn.

On a positive note, McKennie got the game winner for Schalke in their Champions league match today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom