USMNT Callups for Sept Friendlies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT Callups for Sept Friendlies

Reaction Score
And trapp should never be called in again. What's up with Danny Williams? Why no call?

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Attendance was reported as 32,500, of which 60% was wearing Brazilian yellow, including several young female fans with painted on yellow kits (so glad my son is not a teenager yet). The Outlaws had a decent showing and were intot the game.

Overall, the game went as expected. Brazil out-classed the US with the US only probing a few times; but, were nto able to convert even with several good chances. They did keep fighting though. What they really need is a number of role players to emerge to provide support for Pulisic as he can't do it alone. That makes these friendlies worth it. Miazga fell asleep and lost his marker on the first goal. Robinson had his lunch and everything else taken away from him. It was good to see Brooks back and his size on set pieces was a concern for Brazil as he got mauled every time. Steffen looked good in net and have no chance on either goal (I really want stutter steps banned on PK's at the international level). McKennie had his flashes; but, needs to play cleaner and more consistent. I actually was OK with Trapp and he got hosed by the ref (who the heck allows a Mexican ref to call a USA match, it woudl be like allowing a Argentinian ref manage a Brazil game) on Fabinho's flop in the box (it was right in front of me). The only part I was disappointed in was int the 2nd half when Weah came on. His pace and ball skill made Brazil nervous; but, the US was still playing to conservative to send him down the line and kept switching the field away from him. Give him the ball , especially as it was a friendly and who cares if the US loses 2 to 0 or 3 to 0.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I only caught the first half but during the broadcast they discussed why the team was younger and the old guard weren't called in. Said that the coach thought the kids needed to find their own way, identity, etc...then they went on to discuss how Bradley and company would likely be called in for the October friendlies.

WTF would they bother??? They are not the future and need to be thanked for their time and move forward. We need the youth to get the experience, not to watch old players play out matches.

That comment made me laugh and I hope it doesn't come true.

Reaction Score
Miazga is a rock and should be for the next 8-10 years. Really looking forward to seeing Tyler Adams' next step.

Although there's been a flux of kids moving to good Euro sides, we're going to need some of these 18-22 yr olds to get consistent 1st-team minutes within 2 years. If this is the group going forward there has to be substantial club development. The lost generation is still haunting us.

We can't have career MLSers in the middle of the field and expect to get past a WC QF.

Reaction Score
then they went on to discuss how Bradley and company would likely be called in for the October friendlies.

Give them their sendoff and they can go kick rocks. If there's someone that won't help in 2022, they shouldn't be involved now

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we aren't playing 3 centerbacks as long as Miazga, Brooks, and CCV are in form then we aren't maximizing our talent pool. This next cycle has to be built on defense and counter-attacking. We just don't have the goal scorers to play any other way.

Reaction Score
I only caught the first half but during the broadcast they discussed why the team was younger and the old guard weren't called in. Said that the coach thought the kids needed to find their own way, identity, etc...then they went on to discuss how Bradley and company would likely be called in for the October friendlies.

WTF would they bother??? They are not the future and need to be thanked for their time and move forward. We need the youth to get the experience, not to watch old players play out matches.

That comment made me laugh and I hope it doesn't come true.

The old guard will be brought back so that MLS can protect their equities. Just like they are ramming awful Will Trapp down our throats.

Reaction Score
If we aren't playing 3 centerbacks as long as Miazga, Brooks, and CCV are in form then we aren't maximizing our talent pool. This next cycle has to be built on defense and counter-attacking. We just don't have the goal scorers to play any other way.

If they aren’t playing in a back 3 in their clubs then that could be a liability.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If they aren’t playing in a back 3 in their clubs then that could be a liability.

There is always some adjustment needed going from club to country. They are likely going to be among our best players. One can play a bit forward given the midfielders more license to go forward.

Reaction Score
The old guard will be brought back so that MLS can protect their equities. Just like they are ramming awful Will Trapp down our throats.

USMNT management needs to have the mentality that the best players play, regardless if the player plays club in MLS, Mexico, the Premiership, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, Chinese Super League , etc. The MLS versus everyone foreign leagues that has gone back and forth over the last few years only hurts the USMNT.

Reaction Score
The Outlaws had a decent showing and were intot the game.

We did what we could, US Soccer only granted 1 section and the ticket prices (stadium wide) were a joke once again.

We have 3 allocated sections for Peru at The Rent and tix are significantly less ($31), so that's positive, at least.

Reaction Score
We did what we could, US Soccer only granted 1 section and the ticket prices (stadium wide) were a joke once again.

We have 3 allocated sections for Peru at The Rent and tix are significantly less ($31), so that's positive, at least.

Which reminds everyone that the US Soccer is a business, first and foremost

Reaction Score
Danny Williams has been hurt for a while. I think you may see him in the Trapp position if he returns to health and form. Having said that, the only starter who looked lost after the first 20 minutes, during which everyone looked lost, was Robinson. He may be our best option 4 years from now, but at this moment Villafana or Lichaj are both better options. (As is Fabian if he isn't retired from international play). Others -- Wood, Green and Ariola -- just aren't at the level that they can compete against Brazil. But again, after the first 20 minutes they were solid, generated decent chances of corners and set pieces and defended well. (The penalty was a total phantom call).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, that penalty was junk.

Anyhoo, who'd they bring in for Arriola and Brooks?

Reaction Score
Danny Williams has been hurt for a while. I think you may see him in the Trapp position if he returns to health and form. Having said that, the only starter who looked lost after the first 20 minutes, during which everyone looked lost, was Robinson. He may be our best option 4 years from now, but at this moment Villafana or Lichaj are both better options. (As is Fabian if he isn't retired from international play). Others -- Wood, Green and Ariola -- just aren't at the level that they can compete against Brazil. But again, after the first 20 minutes they were solid, generated decent chances of corners and set pieces and defended well. (The penalty was a total phantom call).

Robinson was our best player in the second half today. I’m sold.

Green should have started and he was the offensive spark we needed. He should be Pulisic’s back up.

Reaction Score
Thought Green and Robinson put in great shifts. Hope Weston is ok, though he needs to clean it up in the attacking half

Reaction Score
41642400_2133105570046849_1124610793883566080_n.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Miazga wanted his Gooch moment.

hqdefault.jpg

Lainez did run circles around us though.

Reaction Score
Robinson was our best player in the second half today. I’m sold.

Green should have started and he was the offensive spark we needed. He should be Pulisic’s back up. I thought Shaq Moore was really good as well. He just needs regular playing time in Spain.

Robinson was, obviously, much better last night. Green played really well, but I don't necessarily see him as Pulisic's back up but a starter. I think if Sarachan had a real match tomorrow, my 11 would look like a 4-1-4-1, with Robinson, Miazga, Brooks and Yedlin in the back, McKennie sitting in front of them, Adams and Pulisic in the middle of midfield, Green and Weah out wide and Altidore (Wood if you prefer) up top.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The only thing that I was sold on last night was:

1. Mexico youngsters are better than ours.
2. Trapp needs to be dropped. He's Beckermann without the flair and KB had no flair.
3. Steffan might be the guy in net.

No else truly impressed beyond short stretches. This was a young Mexico squad as well. A 180 turn from a WC level Brazil squad.

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts:

Lichaj doesn't belong anywhere near left back.

Hope McKennie's injury isn't too serious.

Trapp was playing out of position when Lainaz broke his ankles, not entirely his fault.

CCV looked solid.

We looked much better in the second half, even before the red card.

We lack spatial awareness. Maybe it's inexperience, maybe these guys need more time to play together, maybe Sarachan is doing a crappy job getting players to understand their role, maybe too many guys playing out of their natural position, probably a little bit of all of the above.

A win over Mexico (who we hadn't beaten in 3 years) is a good win no matter what. I don't care if it was their B team vs. our B team, they wanted to win.

The run by Adams, and the cross by Robinson was a thing of beauty.

Robinson was so much better than Lichaj at LB I can't fathom what Sarachan saw in practice that would make him think that starting XI would work.

We still lack the skill and touch the top teams have. Too many heavy touches forced us to either turn the ball over, or stall the counter before it ever got started.

Still too many guys afraid to turn or take defenders on (until the second half).

Zardes wasn't horrible, Wood made a very nice attacking move toward the end. I don't "hate" Wood, Zardes, and Altidore, but they always seem to be asked to do more than they can. None of them are good enough to hold up the ball 1 v 3.

Who is our best XI?

Really hope Pulisic is health come October because I've got my tickets for the Peru fixture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom